User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Timing, how to train??

My badminton is improving well now, I am fairly decent and play extremely well in matches and comps but I have 1 slight sticking point. Timing!!

It doesnt happen all the time but certain days, my timing will be off esp for smashes and playing at the net waiting for low lifts and drives.

Clears are always fine, no probs

Is it a problem with my technique or is it more just have to practice it more.

Most nights, my timing is spot on, hitting everything on the sweet spot and the odd night, hitting the frame or jus missing the sweet spot or even missing shots completely esp if they come fast when am at the net.

Any advice or tips??

(PS. Ive decided to start hitting backhand & forehand defense against a wall in loft/attic of my house but its too low to practice drives unfortunately)

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

More practice?And keep your eyes on the bird?What does your coach say?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this happens to me alot. one day i'll be on fire hitting the sweet spot everytime and then the next time i'll hit the rim everyshot. how often do you play? i find that if i play 2 days in a row the second day i'll miss time loads because my muscles are tired and not hitting as fast as usual. that might be happening to you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aye, I'd say that's just normal. Happens to all of us.

If it happens, relax. Getting stressed out because you fail at easy hits is going to make it worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gingerphil79 View Post
    My badminton is improving well now, I am fairly decent and play extremely well in matches and comps but I have 1 slight sticking point. Timing!!

It doesnt happen all the time but certain days, my timing will be off esp for smashes and playing at the net waiting for low lifts and drives.

Clears are always fine, no probs

Is it a problem with my technique or is it more just have to practice it more.

Most nights, my timing is spot on, hitting everything on the sweet spot and the odd night, hitting the frame or jus missing the sweet spot or even missing shots completely esp if they come fast when am at the net.

Any advice or tips??

(PS. Ive decided to start hitting backhand & forehand defense against a wall in loft/attic of my house but its too low to practice drives unfortunately)
    do you do warm-up before training or games and cool down after that?
    practice more and bring your fitness up you will have no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    More practice?And keep your eyes on the bird?What does your coach say?
    correct!

Quote Originally Posted by charliebadders View Post
    this happens to me alot. one day i'll be on fire hitting the sweet spot everytime and then the next time i'll hit the rim everyshot. how often do you play? i find that if i play 2 days in a row the second day i'll miss time loads because my muscles are tired and not hitting as fast as usual. that might be happening to you?
    you have the same problem as gingerphil79

Quote Originally Posted by Addict123 View Post
    Aye, I'd say that's just normal. Happens to all of us.

If it happens, relax. Getting stressed out because you fail at easy hits is going to make it worse.
    yes, relax and it's going to be normal unless you practice or train more, bring your fitness up and take care of your muscle before and after that!

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

you notice this when you train more often.

Sometimes, you can play shots really well on some days but not on others no matter how hard you try.

Sometimes, on the bad days, the solution is to give up and practice something different for that day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it happens to me once in a while also.
    what i gfigured out was either:
    * i was not preperly warmed up enough and in that case,i would hit more rallies or move myself around more
    * or i was just plain tired/fatigued. once in a while playing with a shuttle of different speeds could play a factor as well,though miniamal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If nothing is working out, break down your strokes to the bare minimum: simply forearm rotation without a conscious input of shoulder, or body rotational power to work out the timing from there. Once this starts to work, start to add in shoulder power and body rotation. This is helpful too I find when I'm switching racquets and want to adapt fast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

especially you guys out there where you have the cold season - when you are having training or just game play it is even more important to take care of your muscle, warm them before you stretch and stretch them after you are done with them!

this also applies to us here and those living near the equator when we play/train at night or even raining days!

when its cold our muscle contract thus we must slowly warm them by slow jogging or any other exercise until they are warm (for us here we can sweat) then we stretch them! wearing track suit for jogging raise your body temperature faster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

timing itself is hard to train, but a product of repeated good practice, repetition and training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the other thing i noticed with some players is when they are fatigue, some tends to grip very hard - what they should do is having a relax grip before striking the shuttle and count 1-2. count 1 when you are about to strike and 2 the moment you strike. try it and see!