Is Something Seriously Wrong With My Ankle?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by jut703, Mar 9, 2010.

1. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

2 weeks ago, I was playing singles, and as I was moving backwards, my left ankle just started hurting. It didn't feel broken or whatever, and I didn't hear a crack. It felt more like a nerve getting squished or something. Anyway, I rested for about 20 minutes, just rotating my ankle and walking around. Every time I put pressure on my left foot at some angles (not all), it hurts again. Eventually it subsided as I played my next game, but I'm thinking this is due to adrenaline.

Moving on, recently, every time I wake up, my ankle seems to hurt and it's not that comfortable going down the stairs bec. it gets loaded. However, as I start walking towards school, the pain vanishes and doesn't really return for the rest of the day, though on some occasions it hurts a little (but not as much as the day I sort of twisted it). Furthermore, when I play, I don't feel any pain in my ankle.

Any theories? I doubt it's broken, and I don't think it's sprained cuz it's supposed to swell up if it's sprained right? I don't know how a strained muscle looks but I don't think the ankle has significant muscles that'll be strained. Is it possible that it's a permanent injury, like my ligament got broken? Never broke a ligament either so I wouldn't know how that feels.

BTW, I'm 17 so I'm new to injuries. :p

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Exactly what part of the ankle are you talking about?

There are lots of joints in the ankle, plus the ligaments that bind the bones together, and there are the tendons. Hopefully it is nothing that you can't recover from quickly, but you would be wise to see some sort of health practitioner for an examination. Best of luck.

3. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

I have tried to center on where the pain actually comes from, and it's somewhere around the bulge of the ankle bone itself. :)

I haven't had time to see a doctor, but what kind of ankle pain is minor yet comes up every morning and disappears as the day progresses?

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

By "bulge" do you mean the bone on the outside of your ankle?

If the pain is just below and in front of that bulge then your problem is most likely a strain of the anterior talo-fibular ligament -- the most common type of "sprained ankle".
    But there are other things it could be. If you haven't time/money to see a doctor, show a school nurse or even an older player at your club who has seen a few ankles. (anyone who can actually lay hands on you is better than the best orthopaedic surgeon over the internet:rolleyes:)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankle

As for your question about a pain that is worse after a rest: that is common for tendonitis and arthritis, a little less common for sprains, and would be unusual for a broken bone.

Good luck.:)

5. Addict123

Addict123 Regular Member

You must make time for your doctor. Skip a training session and go to the doctor instead. Nobody here will be able to help you.