User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by druss View Post
    First off we need to know their positioning on court while serving. I notice in many cases that the back person is too far back. I see this quite often in juniors and with people that have weak back hands or poor footwork.
    That's true, for both the serving pair and the receiving pair. The kids
    apparently have no ideas of their on-court positions. The closer distance
    could probably help them to combat the half-court push also. Assuming
    their serves are good enough from now on, a flat fast drive from opponents
    might not be playable, so the further forward position might actually be
    good.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    The flick serve is a good surprise. Use it to keep the receiver "honest" (in case he's gambling on your low serve). Flick serves should mainly be out wide, provided she has enough power to maintain a good height. If not, a good, straight flick will be better than a weak, wide flick.
    Question on the use of flick serve. Do you just mix its usage with low serve kinda at random? Or do you watch your opponent's feet/body while you serve in order to decide in split second whether you serve low or flick?

Incidentally, the boy decides to take up the conventional Mixed Doubles serving position, except he's even deeper, as he probably can't cover the deep court return if he stands closer to net. The point is, with this serving position, all surprise elements would probably be lost given the distance. I'm thinking of advising him to serve at the front instead.

I would suggest the server focus on looking for net shot returns, and that the server's partner focus on getting to lifts early, and playing a controlled ownwards shot (it needn't be powerful). Try to place shots downwards into areas not covered by the opponents (at this point in the rally, that's often the side tramlines)
    Some of the opponents can play half-court push already (and earn lots of "cheap" points this way from opponents). However, I'm not sure (didn't observe careful enough) if this is because his opponents' serves are of poor quality to begin with.

I'd like to check on the idea of placing a return to the tramlines. In response to a lift, a smash down the tramline could lead to deep trouble. This maybe unique to forehand side only. Their opponents are capable of driving crosscourt on their forehand side. On their back-hand side, with the relatively flat smashes (because of their body height), it might be harder for them to have enough strength to drive cross-court.

Which brings us to another point - how the front player should prepare and cut-off the flat cross-court. I find a lot of juniors are standing too close to the net (literally behind the service line).

If a smash is to be played, I was about to tell them to target the inside of the player ahead, or to center line. This is to remove the cross-court drive reply that typically causes them problems, as well as other benefits. Do use the straight smashes, but use it sparingly, and use it to surprise, much like the cross-court smashes.

It's also worth thinking about whether they should be playing an attacking-oriented game. Most players that age are quite weak in the rearcourt, so a valid alternative may be to try pushing them to the back.
    You'd be surprised that some of these players, my kid included, can already do decent smashes (of course nothing compared to adult smashes), and back-to-back (well, the two 2nd back lines) attacking clear.

One weakness is perhaps in their drives - there's virtually none, even though they can drive when they practice. Just can't use them somehow in games.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2