My Impression of ArcSaber10

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by masterblaster99, Mar 10, 2010.

1. masterblaster99

masterblaster99 Regular Member

Hi all in Badminton Land,

I wanted to give my impression on the Yonex Arc Saber 10. I had previously posted a thread when I was in a stage where I was torn between the ArcSaber 10, Armortec 900T / 900P. I see many people on this forum in a similar situation. I had been using a head-heavy racquet (AT500) and wanted something new, with more speed and control than what I was using. I narrowed in doen to the three racquets listed above. I did a lot of research and finally decided to go with the AS10. I have had my new racquet now for a few days and have spent about 10-12 hours now playing with it.

I have to say that I am not disappointed with this racquet whatsoever. I love it actually. I had it strung to 24 lbs. with BG-80 string. I have read that the true potential of the Arc Saber series does not present itself until strung to >26 lbs. but for the first go at it, I wanted to stick to 24 lbs. I had also heard that the racquet acted "dead" at 24 lbs. meaning little repulsion but I found it to have alot of action as I am mostly a control player and have played with it lots at the net since I bought it. I had also read that this racquet was poor on defence and I have to dispute that claim as well as I found it to be much quicker than the head-heavy racquets that I am used to. I read a review from Paul Stewart, who reposnded to my original thread on multiple occasions and in his AS10 review he noted that his first impressions were that hte AS10 was "like using an old friend". These words stuck in me when making my decision and in the end I thought that something "familar" was what I wanted this time around. New but familiar. Thanks Paul because from the first time I played with it, it did seem familar, like being reaquainted with an old friend. My racquet previous to the AT500 was a Victor Columbia that I used throughout High School. I loved that racquet as it was fantastic in control and I played a lot at the net in doubles. Althought the technology of the AS10 is much different than my older racquets, somehow it seemed similar in how it behaves.

I knew going in that I had to change my swing alittle as I have read on multiple sources that the power from the Arc Saber series comes from the snap of the wrist as opposed to the long, full swing that I have used with the AT series. I found the AS10 to have a great deal of power and I have been finding my accuracy has gone up a notch. I have played mostly doubles with it since I bought it, bought considering the pinpojnt accuracy that I am achieving and the ease with which I handle clears backhand drives, etc. I think that adjusting it to singles play will give me very little trouble.

I rate the AS10 as follows:
    Power 9/10
    Control 9.5/10
    Accuracy 9.5/10
    Maneuverability 9.5/10
    Speed 9/10

As a side note, my doubles partner bought an Arc Saber Z at the same time and he is having great difficulty adjusting to it. Having swung it myself afew times, it clearly has less drag during a full swing so I think that a combination of the faster swing and oval head are going to tkae my partner some time to get used to. Frustrating for him as well as me being his partner. Lets just say you could take the strings out if his racquet and it woud not affect his play right now;)
    :crying::crying::crying:

2. druss

druss Regular Member

Good review and I have to say that I agree, the AS10 is one of my favorites. I think it is one of the best all round rackets I've ever played with. Not the most power, not the fastest.... etc. It does not do anything the best but does do it all very, very well.

3. dream18

dream18 Regular Member

The AS10 is indeed a great racquet to have. I was on the decision between buying a AS10 or a ARC-Z, but eventually i got the ARC-Z because of the stupid advertisement. I totally agree it takes some time to adjust for the Z...lets hope that your partner will get used to it soon... it took me a week to get used to it switching from MP100.

4. masterblaster99

masterblaster99 Regular Member

Dream18,

I hear you about the advertisement......I think my partner thought he could break the sound barrier with the Slash too.....gotta be able to hit the darn birdie to do that:eek:

Good to hear some other positive feedback on the AS10 though. As the racquet is one of those love/hate affairs I was hestitant as well but very glad to have made the decision to try it as my weapon of choice.

5. joeyf

joeyf Regular Member

Singles/Doubles Player
    I'm really starting to like my Arcsaber 10, it's just right for me. Not too head-heavy, aerodynamic and very good feel. A great all rounder racquet I think :)

6. adidascanada

adidascanada Regular Member

The AS10 is my racquet of choice!

7. Many Ch0icez

Many Ch0icez Regular Member

Student
    Im a doubles player right now I really wanted to make singles but didn;t . Oh well next year anyways. Im using a pc-20 with nanogy 95 as string 24 lbs and Im a smasher but i touch in doubles
    Hmm u think AS 10 is good? for me?

8. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    arc 10 is a very good all round racket. suitable for both singles and doubles

9. raceto21

raceto21 Regular Member

great you found a racket you enjoy. dont hesitate to try higher string tensions for this racket, you wont regret it.

10. Openg

Openg Regular Member

Engineer
    Very good racket i think (ARC 10), more power than ti10 purple and AT900T.
    But it takes more power from me and make my body tired in short, hehehehe...:D

11. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Last week i have tried my friend's Arc 10 for around 2 hours ONLY.Instantly, i feel that Arc 10 gives me a comfortable feeling when hitting the ball which i don't find in any other rackets i have played with. A must have racket for me.Two Thumbs up for YY.

12. Many Ch0icez

Many Ch0icez Regular Member

Student
    Licin It;s called a shuttlecock or more referred to as a Birdie

13. szekt

szekt Regular Member

Maybe it was really a ball that was hit?;)

14. ya4dang1

ya4dang1 Regular Member

Programmer
    I owned a AS10 SP 3UG5. It is my racquet of choice when I play doubles or mixed.

The control and power increased exponentially when I strung it at 26~29lbs (bg80).

If you like high tension, definitely give this a try.

15. Xhan_

Xhan_ Regular Member

I own a AS10 and I say it's a good one. There's this different feeling between AS10 than other rackets that I chose. Mine is strung at 25x27lbs with BG80 and broke around 2months or so cuz of the mishits and plastic birdies (school badminton) But I'm really impressed. Karakal Grip + AS10 = Win :)

16. Cattex

Cattex Regular Member

I have to agree with all the positive comments about the AS10. I was previously using an AT500 for doubles and an AT700 for singles.

As soon as I started using the AS10 it felt quite comfortable but over the last few months of having the racket it's become extremely comfortable. It suits my play style well.

It's less forgiving of miss-hits than the AT500 but is cleaner than the AT700 when you don't quite hit the sweet spot.

It's better than the AT500 in every way - its quicker, more agile and a lot more powerful.

It's far quicker and significantly more agile than the AT700 and I'd say that in general is perhaps more powerful. The AT700 on optimally struck smashes is probably a little ahead but I find it easier to generate power on all other shots with the AS10. Plus the AS10 is more reliable on net shots.

Overall I think the AS10 excels in both doubles and singles play.

17. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    Arc 10 isn't a bad choice but a tip dont often string your racquet more than 25lbs or 26lbs its quite easy for it to break and less control.

With 25lbs racquets its harder to control since when the shuttlecock makes contact with the string it rebounds of it pretty fast

18. shaf77

shaf77 New Member

executive
    Just bought one, merely becoz "it's feel good in my hand". had it strung with bg66 medium at 27lbs. hvn't quite test it yet. will let u guys know how it feel in court. but i get the feeling that i'm gonna smash more than usual.

BTW, do you guys know that peter gade uses this racket? saw it in yonex website.

19. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I think I can safely say that none of us knew that.

too much sarcasm?

20. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Really ? here was me thinking, he was using a Yonex Muscle Power 10.