Badminton clothes: what to wear...

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by bigredlemon, Dec 16, 2002.

1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

There's a lot of talk about racquets, strings, and shoes, and even shorts, but not much talk about shirts though.

Does what you wear matter to you when you're playing badminton? Cotton T-shirts are pretty much the standard for everyone, and that's what I usually wear. I also have a few polyester shirts that wicks sweat away from the body. One is ultra-thin and light, about half as light dry, and much more lighter when wet. The other style is thicker, like tennis style shirts. With the ultra-thin shirt, It feels as though I'm not even wearing a top, except I feel even more cooler, as though there was a fan blowing at me. I prefer the tennis-style shirt though since it keeps me warmer, while letting me stay dry. With these two shirts, I find there's a lot less resistence from the shirt when I swing. With a cotton t-shirt, sometimes it feels like the sleeve is holding my arm back. Regular 100% polyester tshirts. however, makes me sweat a lot. For regular t-shirts though, 50% polyester and 50% cotton is the best combination.

So temperature wise:
    light wicking polyester (cold) > standard wicking polyester > cotton (just right) > 50/50 polyester.cotton > regular polyester (hot)

Resistence wise:
    light wicking (easy/best)) > standard wicking polyester > 50/50 polyester.cotton > regular polyester > cotton (hard/worse)

I usually wear the 50/50 regular shirt since it doesn't become too heavy from absorbing sweat, and doesn't resist my movement too much, while maintaining my body temperature just right (my gym isn't heating, and it's cold!), and it's also very cheap to buy.

What do you guys usually wear?
    BTW, I didn't mention tank-tops because it's not my style.
    Ps. if you have no idea what I'm talking about, maybe I'll post a few pics to demonstrate.

2. NL-player

NL-player Regular Member

I play my singles in long sleeve shirts (not always allowed) in 80/20 (cot/pol). My doubles i play the same, only short sleeves.
    When I play double in long sleeve (on training) i sometimes happen that I hit my sleeve with my racket when playing a short service.

Maybe i should cut my left long sleeve in half...

3. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

ever try wearing a BRIGHT ti dye shirt to distract ur opponents? hahahahah, jokes:D