Badminton Summer Camp, GuangXi, China. Jul 15-Aug 15, 2010

Discussion in 'China / Hong Kong' started by kwun, Mar 10, 2010.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    [​IMG]

application form is attached.

Attached Files:

2. friendlyed

friendlyed Regular Member

Student
    Anyone going to this ???? I am tempted

3. 241n00b

241n00b Regular Member

I AM!!!! me and two of my friends are going :D

4. thejym

thejym Regular Member

I went to this camp last year and it was a blast. Learned a lot of skills which I then practiced throughout all of this year. The local coaches there are really nice and amazingly skilled.

5. ImperialQinmaj

ImperialQinmaj Regular Member

Student
    Amen. It's a worthy training camp, wish I could be training again as my gameplay drastically improved.

6. haplorhine

haplorhine Regular Member

is the cost considered standard or high?

curious,
    steve

7. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Compared to training in North America, it's ridiculously cheap. Private coaches can cost from $50 to even up to $100, with group sessions costing anywhere between $10-30 an hour. We trained for about 5-6 hours a day, for four weeks.. so that's roughly 140 hours on the low side. It comes out to about the same cost as group training for $10/hr, but where are you going to find group training at that price in North America, and not to mention the food and hotel and everything was covered with that money. All we had to pay extra for was the airplane ticket.

8. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    agreed that china camp was greatly worth it, and like thejym said the price was well worth it and i mean the thing is you get to train/spar with high quality players that you cant easily find in north america. so that is a camp that i hope to go back to sometime if not that one just to go back to asia in general and train more over there. was a great time and well worth it.

9. gokilballs

gokilballs Regular Member

studnt
  10. hippo

hippo New Member

hi guys, could attendee of the camp post some pictures or videos? i would like to participate next summer (only if there is one) and i'm curious about the camp... appreciate it!

11. TheComedian

TheComedian Regular Member

Badminton Player/Coach
    I don't think it is the real "GuangXi Provincial Team." 1st of all, I have talked to the coordinator and he told me the headquarters of the camp in the States. I needed year round training and he told me no coaches or players were staying there. The head office was in USA. that doesn't make any sense. why does the GuangXi provincial team train in USA? Secondly, the number one Men's singles player from GuangXi practices and trains here with the Dongguan city team in Guangdong (the province adjacent to GuangXi) He doesn't play in Nanning. He plays in a place called "Century City" in Dongguan city, Nancheng District. He tried to join the national team, but he wasn't good enough. So he went back to Dongguan.

So, my advice is: Go at own risk.
    you may learn a lot, (depending on your level) but I feel (I am not sure, but I am basing my opinion on the information I know) this is false advertising. Your not playing with the provincial team. In China, the GuangXi team is not good anyway. If you want to play badminton you need to be in either GuangDong, Hunan, or Beijing. I am currently training in Dongguan with a coach who made it on the national team, but was told to leave soon after because he had a bad heart. He trained in Hunan with Bao Chunlai back in the day. Once he has trained me enough, he will send me to Hunan. My girlfriend is a university student in Nanning. I have been there many times. It's a very poor place. It's beautiful, but it is very poor. the badminton there is not good either. I played a young man who is training full time in Nanning. I beat him 21 - 8, 21 - 18. If your looking for "real badminton training," Go to GuangDong, Hunan, or Beijing.