New Racket Prices

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Byro-Nenium, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I notice that the later rackets released by Yonex have come with price tags up to twice as much as other racket prices in the past.

The MP100 came out about 2 years or so ago with a price tag here in Singapore of about $170-180. Now if you can still find it, it has a price tag of about $150-$160. There isn't much of a fall in prices.

However, the MP99 came out here in Singapore, with a price tag of $270. And this is at the same shop that is the 2nd home of most badminton fans here in Singapore. This shop was famous for having great deals. But now, with the new prices, i am unwilling to spend anything on new rackets anymore.

Can someone pls explain the economics and possibly the politics (if any) behind all this? Its frustrating like hell, knowing that there are new rackets to buy and try but with prices too high to afford.

Thanks

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    maximisation of profit margin on new products.

I guess economics is not one of your subjects at school. You must be a scientist:D

3. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

they think the profit loss from less customers will be lower than profit gain from higher price.

There are lots of other great racquets from other companies. Choose one of them. Yonex will smarten up eventually. If there actually is a demand for insanely-high priced racquets, however, except more of those pricings.

4. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

I find it quite silly that prices are cheaper here in Oz than in Sing. I mean you sell lots more racquets, so pure economies of scale should drop the prices. Also ours are AS spec and have a warranty, whilst I'm assuming the Singaporean ones are SP thus no warranty. How with higher volumes, probably a shorter distribution chain, and not warranty, it can be justified to charge more than they do in Oz is ridiculous.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    elasticity of demand is the factor here.

a inelastic demand product is like basic food items, no matter how expensive you will still need to buy it.

on the other hand, luxury items like a stereo is elastic. if it goes way up in price, there will be very little demand.

new flashy product usually have inelastic demand, as people's nature is they like new stuff.