My thoughts on the All England Mk. II

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2010' started by Destricto_Ense, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    I did this last year, and the response was mainly positive so I thought I might mention some of the things I noticed today..

LCW vs SDK - Sony was clearing to midcourt and was being punished by LCW. LCW was having some trouble at the net in the second set. LCW was using AT900P.

Chen Long vs Shon Wan Ho - this match was really funny. I had never seen either of the two players play before... but from a distance the matched really seemed like LD Jr. vs LCW Jr. CL looks pretty similar to LD from a distance when you can't see his face... pretty tall, same hair, exact same way of hitting, serving and moving around the court. Right-handed of course. SWH was, like LCW, very good at defence and retrieving all kinds of shots. Great match to watch from an impartial point of view!

Taufik vs Andrew Smith - Pretty boring match really. Taufik didn't play great and Andrew played worse. TH did not seem very interested - didn't try to return smashes etc. Hopefully he improves against Gade tomorrow.

Peter Gade vs Simon Santoso - Gade's consistency won out in the end, despite some spectacular shots by Simon. At one stage Gade nearly bit the umpire's head off when he misheard a line-judges call, and Gade was shouting "It was [10cm] out!!"

Kenichi Tago vs Joachim Persson - This was the first time I'd ever seen Tago play well. I love this guy. Really made Persson look ordinary. So many sweet little tricky shots, and his commitment to shot pickups is amazing. I would go so far as to say he is better at getting shots back than LCW is, because he does not hesitate to throw himself all over the court. It was a good thing Tago won in the end because he lost the first set after the umpire judged his racquet to have been over the net for the winning point. It was good to see him not break down and instead he just concentrated on winning, even though he appeared to be enjoying himself.

Chen Jin vs Rajiv Ouseph - The force of the crowd pushed Ouseph to nearly pip CJ for the first set, but after he managed to keep his cool the second set came easily.

Bao Chunlai vs PSH - I haven't seen much of BCL, but I was really impressed by his strength and speed, especially with improbable backhand clears. The girls were all over him too.

Lin Dan vs Hafiz Hashim - HH really tried his best, you could tell it was very frustrating for him as time and time again LD returned shots that were impossible for a mortal human being. Hashim also got some great pickups himself, and he did not give in without a fight. For the first time I saw LD happy to let someone lead him, rather than having a few point buffer. But near 15-mark point in the second set, he just upped the pace and HH did not have much chance after that, despite playing very well.

And a general comment - some seriously biased line judge calls today... particularly bad one against Lan Lu at set-point in her first set against the Scottish WS player. Thankfully Lan Lu won in the end.

PS - I have got roaming data working on my mobile phone, so I will be updating my twitter with some observations while I'm in the arena for the next three days - http://twitter.com/bcpk

2. aulia

aulia Regular Member

student
    Nice... keep telling us what happen for today in quarterfinal! :D:D

3. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Nice qtr finals..... ;)

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Thanks so much for this. It is great to hear how the games looked "on the ground" as opposed to trying to guess by Livescore statistics whether the games were interesting.

Keep up the good work!:)

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Cool, cool..

..thanks for sharing that recap:cool:..Any match in particular which you enjoyed? How about that match between Lu Lan vs. Susan Eglestaff? Any recap of the Doubles matches?..

*waiting for jamesd20's own recap*..hmm;)

6. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

great..! thanks for the side news:p

why not u update us on bc on what's happening via your mobile phone?:D

7. Angelineayht

Angelineayht Regular Member

Student
    Great news!!
    Update more during the q-f

8. Destricto_Ense

Student
    Kenichi Tago's match was the best, he is great!
    It was a weird match, Lu Lan was not playing well and Eglestaff realized early on that she could capitalize on LL's bad form. Most of Eglestaff's points were from overhead-forehand crosscourts while LL was moving the other direction. On the otherhand, when LL went through a good patch SE could not really match her... at some points even when SE was standing at her "home base" position she was not quick enough to react to some drop shots and only made it half-way there before it hit the ground.
    I didn't pay much attention to the Doubles, but I was particularly impressed by Lars Paaske and Jonas Rasmussen. I know that they are kind of "veterans" at this stage, but they were able to still compete very well with what I call "old people tricks" :p Most of the matches that I play for my own club are against people that are like 50 years old, but they still win every single match, because they have sneaky tactics and know how to control the game. Like LP's serve is very off-putting, he holds the shuttle and then sort of swivels a few degrees in either direction to make you wonder which way he is going to hit it, and then that distracts you. However, their victory was not solely because of this kind of gimmick, they are both very very clever players with great vision. One thing that struck me as interesting is that when they were warming up their routine was completely different to the other teams. Rather than hitting nice friendly clears and flat pushes, they were doing all kinds of tight, fast and awkward body shots forcing the other person into really weird and unbalanced positions ... which is exactly what happens in a real match, not just hitting it straight back and forward to each other. I think that kind of smart training is what helps them stay on top.

I will be using twitter for updates today, so stay tuned! My ticket says matches start in 3.5 hrs. I can't post on badmintoncentral with my phone because it takes too long to load and costs too many KBs ;)
    I hope TH vs PG isn't on at the same time as KT vs CJ...

9. Destricto_Ense

Student
  10. Destricto_Ense

Student
  11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

No..

:p..sorry, at least i didn't..we were too engrossed following the QF matches in this forum..

Btw, any more reviews of the totally insane and off the wall QF matches?? were you, literally, sitting at the edge of your seat during most of the matches?? c'mon, you can tell us..:confused::cool:

#11 ctjcad, Mar 12, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    it was the QF. I think u were working or sleeping:p

13. Destricto_Ense

Student
    After losing against KT, BCL was brought straight up to the players' seating and LYB lectured him non-stop for about half an hour... he just sat staring straight ahead in exhaustion. I felt sorry for him... eventually he was allowed to go and get changed.

14. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

That sounds rather harsh. I haven't seen the tape of this match, but Kenichi has been playing very well this tournament. So what can the Chinese coaches hope to gain by berating Bao right after the fact? (in public, no less). :(

That type of "advice" doesn't work on my kids at home, so why should it work with a professional athelete? Let the guy settle and work on any deficiencies before the next tournament.

Maybe BCL might consider defecting and playing for Canada. Our coaches would treat him like royalty.;)

15. badadum

badadum Regular Member

The bald one is angry, and he will take it out on whoever he seemed fit....that poor person BCL.

16. badMania

badMania Regular Member

He's licking his wounds...Team CHN is in full-team battle mode:
    Du Pengyu - lost to Sony Dwi Kuncoro in the first-round
    Chen Long - lost yet again to a second-tier player
    Chen Jin - nightmarish lost to Kenichi Tago
    Lin Dan - lost to team-mate Bao Chunlai
    Bao Chunlai - another nightmarish lost to Kenichi Tago

If CHN is really not taking this AE seriously, LYB wouldn't have lectured Bao for so long :cool:

If CHN is really not taking this AE seriously, Cai Yun would not have kicked his racket bag in disgust, right after losing his QF match :cool:

17. volcom

volcom Regular Member

It has been a hopeless display this time...
    Maybe too much arrogance of dominance XD
    anyways sleeping now.
    Pray for Tago to do well tomorrow lol

18. Destricto_Ense

Student
    I don't know if LYB was berating BCL because I couldn't see his face but he was waving and jabbing his hands pretty energetically and Xia Xuanze was nodding quietly in the background. Looked to me like BCL just wanted a peaceful shower.

19. madbad

madbad Regular Member

That's the Asian style of discipline. Luckily you haven't experienced it. I think we should start a petition for BCL to defect to Canada. The chicks will dig him :D:D

20. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Hey D, did you see the incident when Cai Yun almost drop kicked the contents of his bag clean out of the stadium? I have never seen such visible anger displayed by a CHN player in a tournament. It went to show what this year's AE meant to him. While a re-card infraction, I like to see such human emotions shown especially from a CHN player, who are often forced to tow a very strict line.