User Tag List

View Poll Results: i am.....

Voters
1770. You may not vote on this poll
  • RIGHT handed

1,459 82.43%
  • LEFT handed

311 17.57%
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiroisuke
    I actually thought that the ratio of lefties would be lower (10-15%), but apparently not for badminton. Awesome. I've tried training lefty before, it's kinda hard for overhead shots and forehands but backhands have been real easy. A coach of mine once said that backhand is naturally easier to learn and more powerful, it's just the timing that's harder. It's true, I think. Can anyone else cofirm or deny this with their own personal experience?
    Yes that's true for me too. In badminton and tennis,
    i am very good when it comes to backhand shots. Dunno why
    And if you try, its easier to write backwards (like da vinci) with ur
    Other hand..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think one reason me and my partner are so good is because i'm left he's right, and we're used to each other, its funny with new people, specialy ones who are so use to lifting it ti right hander's backhand, every shot they lift to me is a forehand, que 'smash' which them follow "oh s*** he's a lefty" and by the time they break the habit of giving me a smash every time, game over and they play a right hander, and hit to their forehand cos they have just been hitting it to my backhand near the end of the last game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nick089
    Wow! I'm one of the only lefty badminton players 0_o
    Don't worry i'm a lefty as well
    I pretty much never play a game where I have a lefty partner and its not two backhands/forehands. I really do enjoy it when I get to play with another lefty...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a fellow lefty as well. Proud of it!

I believe the main reason lefties have an advantage is because there are so few lefties at the court. I get a lot of back-hand practice from the righty-opponents, and can usually win the game since Righty's complain that strategy is so different. I'm sure that if there was another lefty on court at same level as me, I'd get my arse kicked.

- Pdx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdx__
    I'm a fellow lefty as well. Proud of it!

I believe the main reason lefties have an advantage is because there are so few lefties at the court. I get a lot of back-hand practice from the righty-opponents, and can usually win the game since Righty's complain that strategy is so different. I'm sure that if there was another lefty on court at same level as me, I'd get my arse kicked.

- Pdx
    Hey! That's a great idea! I should start playing lefties to practice my backhand! Thanks! Now I just need to find lefties that are around my level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are left handers special, one of a kind? newtypes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yy_ling
    are left handers special, one of a kind? newtypes?
    not really -- we're actually just plain weird. hehehe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dandirom
    not really -- we're actually just plain weird. hehehe
    we are always different good and bad lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, none of those choices apply to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I was ambidextrous

But no, I'm stuck with being right handed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm right handed but I can kind of play left handed. Wished that I could use both my hands which have equal strengths. That's going to be hard so no point lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by St00pid
    Hmmm, none of those choices apply to me.
    Because you're "stoopid?" JK. But is it because you are ambidextrous, or do you not have any hands?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argh, I hate playing mixed with left-handed guys. Drives me batty, standing on the other side when he's serving!!!

As to lefties themselves, they're scientifically proven to live about two years less than the rest of us. My hypothesis as to why: all the ink they've absorbed from years of dragging their palm after their pen builds up in their body, and eventually the toxins are just too much for the immune system

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by westwood_13
    Argh, I hate playing mixed with left-handed guys. Drives me batty, standing on the other side when he's serving!!!

As to lefties themselves, they're scientifically proven to live about two years less than the rest of us. My hypothesis as to why: all the ink they've absorbed from years of dragging their palm after their pen builds up in their body, and eventually the toxins are just too much for the immune system
    I don't get what you mean about the serving part.

I don't think that those toxins would be significantly shortening to our lifespan. After all, 2 years is about 2.5% of the average lifespan (If you say it's 80 years old, that is. If you say 70 years old, then it's 2.9%), which is quite a lot. Furthermore, I don't think they'll be absorbed very well, and also, most lefties I know write with a curled hand position so that they don't smear the ink on their hands. Can't quite remember what they do, though. I'd say lefties live a shorter lifespan due to genetics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiroisuke
    I don't get what you mean about the serving part.

I don't think that those toxins would be significantly shortening to our lifespan. After all, 2 years is about 2.5% of the average lifespan (If you say it's 80 years old, that is. If you say 70 years old, then it's 2.9%), which is quite a lot. Furthermore, I don't think they'll be absorbed very well, and also, most lefties I know write with a curled hand position so that they don't smear the ink on their hands. Can't quite remember what they do, though. I'd say lefties live a shorter lifespan due to genetics.
    heh, I was just trying to make a joke, albeit a lame one.

And normally when playing mixed and my guy is serving, I always stand right at the front in the left court. However, when he's left-handed, I have to stand in the right court... and it just completely throws me off, I'm not sure why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by westwood_13
    heh, I was just trying to make a joke, albeit a lame one.

And normally when playing mixed and my guy is serving, I always stand right at the front in the left court. However, when he's left-handed, I have to stand in the right court... and it just completely throws me off, I'm not sure why.
    Sok, I'm not good at getting jokes either.

For him, he should be able to serve both forehand and backhand, that way, it wouldn't be such a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a left-hander, I can say it's pretty easy to be ambidextrous for us lefties -- I've been developing my right arm and my control and strength is getting pretty good now tho not as good as my left. But I've found that it really doesn't help that much -- what has really helped is having a very good backhand. No matter how much you work on both hands you will still end up using your backhand in the heat of the moment -- 1.) coz it's more natural. 2.) You don't lose a split-second switching from the other hand. 3.) If you know your footwork, you will instinctively set up for a backhand and if you switch hands you will end up in an awkward position -- of course, it has sometimes helped to confuse opponents (no one will honestly think you could get a shot with such an awkward position).

Compared with being ambidextrous in badminton and having a very good backhand, I'd choose the backhand -- I've developed my backhand to a point that I can now do backhand smashes and drops and in my experience I've earned more points with the backhand than the ambidextrous alternative.

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast