User Tag List

View Poll Results: i am.....

Voters
1770. You may not vote on this poll
  • RIGHT handed

1,459 82.43%
  • LEFT handed

311 17.57%
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ratio of 80/20 for righties versus lefties is quite true.

At the moment, there are 366 out of 435 people who are righties. And from the calculator, that's about 84%!

That's pretty cool how the statistic manages to hold true even on a worldwide forum such as badminton central

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just like everything else, you'll eventually get used to it. I am more comfortable playing with a righty than a fellow lefty. Not too many left handers in my club either. As for avoiding racquets clashes, it's just a matter of communications and teamwork. Usually I would rather let my partner take it than swing for it if it's right between us. When I am certain that I could get it, I will call for it.

Quote Originally Posted by quik_silver
    How come most of my 'Right' handed players say they have problems playing with 'Left' handed players?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Learning from lefties

In the only club in my town there is only one left hander. We play a lot so im quite used to it but when i went to my first open tourney i had never played a doubles pair where both players were left handed! As they were approx. fifty years older than us we underestimated them and didn't even notice they were both left handed until we had suffered one of the worst kickings we've ever received.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahaaa, I'm a lefty hereee!

Also, I think, in general, 13% of people are left-handed... did search on Google.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wubuseah
    hmm...missing a third option...what about the amibidextrous? i'm trying to work on using my right hand to play as well...want to have my arms to be properly balanced
    yeah yeah...it's an old poll...
    my mom can write with her left and right hand, my sis can write with her right and uses chopsticks with her left, i can write with my left and slowly with my right.
    how about 2 handed playing? lol
    i know a guy who can do it..
    he's a beginner (recreation) and switch. he seems to be betetr with left..
    it's very freaky to watch..but he's very slow on teh change.

i recommend you don't practice it. waste of time, you'll mess up your grip, it'll be to slow..don't

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 80% / 20%

There's roughly a 80/20 split between people being right and left handed anyway, so all things being equal, we should see a similar split for badminton players.

There is a common trend that leftiesare more creative that righties and I would probably be agree that of the lefties I've played against, they generally are more inventive and have a higher degree of trickery than most righties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sslam72
    There's roughly a 80/20 split between people being right and left handed anyway, so all things being equal, we should see a similar split for badminton players.
    I thought it was more like a 90/10 split.

Quote Originally Posted by sslam72
    There is a common trend that leftiesare more creative that righties and I would probably be agree that of the lefties I've played against, they generally are more inventive and have a higher degree of trickery than most righties.
    Are you sure that's not just to do with your shot placement? When you aim the shuttle to a right-handed opponent's backhand, this becomes the left-handed player's forehand. So maybe they seem to be trickier players because they are able to deal with your shots to their 'backhand' better than a right-handed player? Or are they just trickier all the time (i.e. even when you hit it to their true backhand, etc.)?
    Last edited by SandeepD; 11-08-2005 at 04:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a right hand player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im left handed, wow I'm so chillin'!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wubuseah
    hmm...missing a third option...what about the amibidextrous? i'm trying to work on using my right hand to play as well...want to have my arms to be properly balanced
    yeah yeah...it's an old poll...
    my mom can write with her left and right hand, my sis can write with her right and uses chopsticks with her left, i can write with my left and slowly with my right.
    how about 2 handed playing? lol
    hey, it's possible. i'm left-handed but i do use both hands -not equally well but my right is good enough for clears, drops, and smashes. its very useful for when your in one side and your opponent hits far to the other side - your 'backhand side'. i just switch to my right and he gets a surprise - its my forehand now. also easier when running after shots, its a fact that lunging for a shot is easier with the forehand than backhand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I am right and left handed?

I am right and left handed player..tired can change hand.

hehe how?
    can vote 2 times?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm right handed, but apparently left handers get better angles as when they slice they are slicing 'against' the feathers rather than 'with' them so the angles are better

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does anyone actually know why there are so many more right handers than left handers, it's every sport not just badminton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lindanfan
    does anyone actually know why there are so many more right handers than left handers, it's every sport not just badminton
    being a lefty, i knw some sites that have an explaination. hehehe
    here's one.

Clare Porac, a professor of psychology at Pennsylvania State University who studies handedness, explains. Researchers who study human hand preference agree that the side of the preferred hand (right versus left) is produced by biological and, most likely, genetic causes. The two most widely published genetic theories of human hand preference argue that evolutionary natural selection produced a majority of individuals with speech and language control in the left hemisphere of the brain. Because the left hemisphere also controls the movements of the right hand--and notably the movements needed to produce written language--millennia of evolutionary development resulted in a population of humans that is biased genetically toward individuals with left hemisphere speech/language and right-hand preference. Approximately 85 percent of people are right-handed. These theories also try to explain the persistent and continuing presence of a left-handed minority (about 15 percent of humans).

The genetic proposal to explain hand preference states that there are two alleles, or two manifestations of a gene at the same genetic location, that are associated with handedness. One of these alleles is a D gene (for dextral, meaning “right”) and the other allele is a C gene (for “chance”). The D gene is more frequent in the population and is more likely to occur as part of the genetic heritage of an individual. It is the D gene that promotes right-hand preference in the majority of humans. The C gene is less likely to occur within the gene pool, but when it is present, the hand preference of the individual with the C gene is determined randomly. Individuals with the C gene will have a 50 percent chance of being right-handed and a 50 percent chance of being left-handed.

These theories of hand preference causation are intriguing because they can account for the fact that the side of hand preference of individuals with the C gene (most left-handers and some right-handers) can be influenced by external cultural and societal pressures, a phenomenon that researchers have documented. These theories can also explain the presence of right-handed children in families with left-handed parents and the presence of left-handed children in families with right-handed parents. If the familial genetic pool contains C genes, then hand preference becomes amenable to chance influences, including the pressures of familial training and other environmental interventions that favor the use of one hand over the other. The proposed genetic locus that determines hand preference contains an allele from each parent, and the various possible genetic combinations are DD individuals who are strongly right-handed, DC individuals who are also mostly right-handed, and CC individuals who are either right-handed or left-handed. These genetic combinations leave us with an overwhelming majority of human right-handers and a small, but persistently occurring, minority of left-handers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm lefty. I used to pair up with my twins who is righty when playing doubles. At the beginning, we always crash together although we've good communication outside the court... but not inside. We do A LOT of practise to overcome it & no doubt.. she becomes my good partner now!

Actually, I had an experience being threaten by my school teacher (when I was 7), that I would not be allow to sit for the exam if I'm writing using my left hand Even that... it wouldn't change my mind .. she got no right too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

I'm lefty. I used to pair up with my twins who is righty when playing doubles. At the beginning, we always crash together although we've good communication outside the court... but not inside. We do A LOT of practise to overcome it & no doubt.. she becomes my good partner now!
    Im a righty....but it would be worthwhile to be ambidextrous......save all the trouble in doubs esp going for shots down the middle in those awkward lefty-righty situations (when the lefty's on the left and the righty on the right)
    Last edited by FrenziedEye; 01-30-2006 at 04:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im left handed but i can use my right hand alright, i use it when playing agianst beginners or just to fool around with friends

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast