User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    lim

Default avoid heart attack for older player

I am 46yrs old still playing badminton quite regularly, at time in the midst of the
    game I felt heavy breathing and heart pounding very fast, that worries me and ussually I slow down the game for a respite. I am also comtemplating a switch to
    a slower game such as pickle ball, thanks for any advice

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default RE: avoid heart attack for older player

very often during a game, esp. during singles, i experience the same thing as you. i am 20 yrs younger than you, badminton is an intensive sport, and those are natural reaction from your body. so i won't be too worried about it.

beware though, don't overwork yourself. your maximum heart rate decrease by one beat per minute for every year you gain.

Cheung has some good opinion on this topic in another thread. any opinion on this particular concern, Dr. Cheung?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go see a doctor, preferably a cardiologist, before you play again! You may have one or more conditions that may increase your risk of a heart attack that can be controlled by medication. If you smoke, quit today.

Try playing with some less competitive players so you don't need to exert yourself too much. Make sure you stretch and warm up adequately before playing.

lim

I have found this info quite useful on this website, thanks for advise given,
    the site is http://www.heartinfo.org/hrtatkang.html#HrtAtkSym,. Incidentally
    what is the max heartbeat for a person around 46, I remember there is a formula
    to work on, anyone still remember

knock-out

Hey Lim,
    Your estimated maximum heart rate is 220 minus your age. (220-46=174) That is estimated, of course, you can't get your real MHR without a bike ergometer or a treadmill, but estimated is really close enough. There is a measurement error of aproximately +/- 10 beats per minute. After that, it gets into other formulas for target heart rates and resting heart rates, etc, if you are interested, write back and I'll share more.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Need more detail on this such as;
    only brought on when playing badminton? or other exertion?
    how long does it last for? what stops the feeling?
    any faintness? any dizziness?
    associated with any chest pain?
    Any wheeze? Breathing problems at other times?
    How often do you exercise?
    Ever had problems with the heart before? Anybody in the family with heart problems?
    Smoke?

Clive

Get a check-up...
    I started playing Badminton again at 49..I used to walk 15-20 miles at 4 mph and this was no camparison to Badminton...
    I got a full check-up including an ECG before returning to the sport,,,

lim

thanks everyone, I will go for a check up before deciding on the next course of action, hope I can continue to play badminton until 60 yrs old, anyone here at
    60 is still playing the game ....

Clive

I met people in London in June who still play at 60's...
    There is also a veterans tournement in Miami yearly and I understand people play there in to their 70's....
    rgds
    Clive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be 60 in early April and I hope to play for a number of years past that (20 +, I hope). The Miami Senior International tournament attracts players from Europe, Asia, North and South America. I haven't played it myself, but my wife did the past two or three times. Competition is fierce, with several former international pros in the draw. I've seen people in their late 70s keep fit just so they can play hard games three times a week or more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i only wish i can play competitively in my 60's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was informed that a dear friend of mine died of a heart attack a few minutes after his usual session last week at the SBA Hall. He was 66, but played incredible badminton. He had won many veteran titles all over the world in his age group. He never liked to lose, which was probably the cause of his misfortune.

My advice for aged veterans who love this game.. get used to losing the game to lesser opponents. Winning isn't the purpose at this stage. Just go out there and enjoy whatever is on the court, and forget about the score.

RIP, B.K.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

RIP, although that's still the best way to go... die doing what you love best...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A heart attack can come whenever. It could have happened to your friend when walking down the street or in his sleep. Your friend passed away in an environment he loved and with a group whose company he enjoyed. These are the things to remember.

Sorry for your loss.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

But there usually is an exertional stress trigger... most MI's that supposedly happen in bed, whether asleep or not, are due to post s3x... still considered dying while doing something enjoyable, I suppose ...
    Last edited by visor; 01-03-2015 at 07:57 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    But there usually is an exertional stress trigger... most MI's that supposedly happen in bed, whether asleep or not, are due to post s3x... still considered dying while doing something enjoyable, I suppose ...
    majority happen in the morning 6am after a night's sleep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Played a game of doubles and after noticed one guy looked odd afterwards. Sort of closing his eyes briefly like exhausted. Talked to a few friends and we talked to him but he said it was just a cold. We made him stop and promised he would go get a checkup right away. He did go in and they kept him and they did quad bypass surgery on his heart right away.

Tough getting older and still playing with the 20 year old fellows. Plus sometimes your playing with no real breaks for a few hours. This year turning 52 so making more of an effort to take breaks between taxing matches. I really don't think most Doctors realize how hard you play at that level. Mine just tells me I look fit and strong and takes my blood pressure and says your good to go. Think it may be time
    for a new Doctor lol.
    Last edited by ormy4; 01-03-2015 at 09:05 PM. Reason: spacing

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast