• LEFT handed

311 17.57%
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy75
    A lefty all the way. In a triumph of conditioning, only thing I did well with my right hand was gaming... more accurate on the joystick with my right hand than my left.
    lol. Same here with the mouse when I play Wc3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dammit, I HATE playing with or against left handed players. No offence, but i always manage to clash my racket with them, and id be so and have to say sorry sorry sorry cause im usually the newbier dude. Lefties are so hard to play against cause...well...you think you clear to their backhand, but end up getting a smash right down your throat...haiiii. One funny thing though, I am TOTALLY right handed cept for when I go shooting with rifles and stuff like that. The problem is that I am left-eyed, which means my left eye is my dominant eye, therefore I pull the trigger with my left arm. Doesnt really count as a lefty though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by charzord
    Dammit, I HATE playing with or against left handed players. No offence, but i always manage to clash my racket with them, and id be so and have to say sorry sorry sorry cause im usually the newbier dude. Lefties are so hard to play against cause...well...you think you clear to their backhand, but end up getting a smash right down your throat...haiiii. One funny thing though, I am TOTALLY right handed cept for when I go shooting with rifles and stuff like that. The problem is that I am left-eyed, which means my left eye is my dominant eye, therefore I pull the trigger with my left arm. Doesnt really count as a lefty though
    Left-eyed but right-handed... this in known as cross-dominance. Many of the best hitters is baseball are are cross-dominant (their dominant eye is in the front towards the pitcher). Do you find it easier to judge shots on your forehand side than on your backhand side for badm?

Many righties have a tuff time playing with a lefty partner. Lefties probably adjust more easily cuz they have to deal with this problem all the time.

Try getting in the habit of calling for the shot when playing with a lefty. If you are in a side-side formation, you will either have 2 forehands in the middle of 2 backhands and it will be very inportant to call shots that are between you, esp for overheads.

Even in up-back or diagonal formations, it is still important to keep in mind where your partner's FH and BH sides are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playing people with a right handed and left handed player is so fun cause you they both have to hit it with their backhand if you hit to the right spot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werfer
    Playing people with a right handed and left handed player is so fun cause you they both have to hit it with their backhand if you hit to the right spot
    you mean in a left-right formation? with their backhand in the center? wouldn't work if they switched sides
    me (a lefty) and my partner (a righty) don't seem to have any problems in doubles...to date we have had no racket clashes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm right-handed.........but left hand also can play,but not really good!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm right-handed for sure, and play badminton rigt-handed. I also pitch and catch in baseball right-handed, but I bat left-handed. Everything else I can think of I do right-handed.

There's one guy that plays in our group who can hit almost equally well with his left arm. If you hit him a backhand, he'll switch arms and can smash it pretty well. I've tried hitting with my left arm.....and, well.....I can make contact.....most of the time......lol

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am right handed, but one day i would like to be able to play wth my left as well...maybe my left hand can be the properly coached one, and my right hand be my natural one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some people are born lefthanded but then they are forced to learn to use their right hand. One of my friends had to do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oab729
    Some people are born lefthanded but then they are forced to learn to use their right hand. One of my friends had to do that.
    I said that happened to me earlier in this thread!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by green ham
    RIGHT HANDED FOR LIFE M8 its da best

APPARENTLY RIGHT HANDED PPL LIVE 9 YRs longer than left handed ppl
    left handedness has been seen to be correlated with many birth-complications, the most common being delayed labor.

the differences isn't as large as 9 years, but right handed people DO on average with a HUGE SAMPLE, live up to two years longer at the very most.

the difference is probably related to how the left handed people may encounter slight problems when muscle and brain relays inadveratently mix things up, resulting in minor accidents, and such. usually tripping, getting hands caught in objects, etc.

this won't translate direectly into the two year longer life expectation, but i guess small accidents can result in larger accidents too.

its nothing to be worried about.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chickenpoodle
    left handedness has been seen to be correlated with many birth-complications, the most common being delayed labor.

the differences isn't as large as 9 years, but right handed people DO on average with a HUGE SAMPLE, live up to two years longer at the very most.

the difference is probably related to how the left handed people may encounter slight problems when muscle and brain relays inadveratently mix things up, resulting in minor accidents, and such. usually tripping, getting hands caught in objects, etc.

this won't translate direectly into the two year longer life expectation, but i guess small accidents can result in larger accidents too.

its nothing to be worried about.
    LOL - left handed people tend to get eliminated naturally? like natures way of weeding out the abnormal, so the left handed people just get themselves killed off by right-handed devices? like safety on the pistol - OH OH! it's on the right hand thumb side? TOO LATE! okay, another lefty bites the dust...

LOL!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rofl....yeah....ok.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lefty percentages

Here in the US I usually see the estimate of lefties at 10% of the general population. One source claimed it to be as high as 13%. In many countries, left-handedness is discouraged in babies & young children even moreso than it is here in the US. India & China are 2 countries with large populations that appear to fall into this category. Has anyone seen lefty estimates for these or any other countries?

At least one expert has claimed that at least 25% of the world's population should be left-handed but most have been forced to 'conform to the norm'. Often, this programming is done in subtle ways. Parents often hand objects only to the right hand of their offspring. Many babies show a lefty preference or no preference at all but are programmed by parents & others to prefer their right hand. Quite often the programming is not so subtle. Young children are sometimes forbidden to draw or write with their left hand.

It is interesting to note that in some animal species, the left paw or left front leg is the preferred appendage. There are many theories on why the human species has a right-hand pref but no one has come up with the definitive reason why this is so.

One of the latest theories is that it is genetic. Offspring of 2 righty parents has the lowest incidence of lefty-ness. With 1 lefty parent, the percentage goes up. One stat shows that the offspring of 2 lefty parents has a 46% chance of being a southpaw (left-handed).

One expert claims that perhaps half the population of the world has a gene for a right-hand preference. The other half of the population does not have the gene & has a 50-50 chance chance of going either lefty or righty. But because of parental influence or the need to conform to right-handed desks & tools, the lefty population is considerably less than the expected 25%.
    Last edited by SystemicAnomaly; 01-15-2005 at 08:16 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

handing objects to only their right hand?
    maybe parents should smack their children for using their left hand too...
    go pavlov!!! haha.

Quote Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly
    Here in the US I usually see the estimate of lefties at 10% of the general population. One source claimed it to be as high as 13%. In many countries, left-handedness is discouraged in babies & young children even moreso than it is here in the US. India & China are 2 countries with large populations that appear to fall into this category. Has anyone seen lefty estimates for these or any other countries?

At least one expert has claimed that at least 25% of the world's population should be left-handed but most have been forced to 'conform to the norm'. Often, this programming is done in subtle ways. Parents often hand objects only to the right hand of their offspring. Many babies show a lefty preference or no preference at all but are programmed by parents & others to prefer their right hand. Quite often the programming is not so subtle. Young children are sometimes forbidden to draw or write with their left hand.

It is interesting to note that in some animal species, the left paw or left front leg is the preferred appendage. There are many theories on why the human species has a right-hand pref but no one has come up with the definitive reason why this is so.

One of the latest theories is that it is genetic. Offspring of 2 righty parents has the lowest incidence of lefty-ness. With 1 lefty parent, the percentage goes up. One stat shows that the offspring of 2 lefty parents has a 46% chance of being a southpaw (left-handed).

One expert claims that perhaps half the population of the world has a gene for a right-hand preference. The other half of the population does not have the gene & has a 50-50 chance chance of going either lefty or righty. But because of parental influence or the need to conform to right-handed desks & tools, the lefty population is considerably less than the expected 25%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly
    ....One of the latest theories is that it is genetic. Offspring of 2 righty parents has the lowest incidence of lefty-ness. With 1 lefty parent, the percentage goes up. One stat shows that the offspring of 2 lefty parents has a 46% chance of being a southpaw (left-handed)...
    somehow that theory has a flaw in it...the only way to prove this would be a) isolate an actual gene that does this
    or b) separate babies after their birth into a none left/right biased enviroment to prevent the babies from being "forced" into a left/right situation due to their surroundings...
    so anyway the stat is probably becuz the parents are subconsiously training their kids to be the same as them...which is why the percentage goes up when both parents are lefties.
    merely doing things right-handed around a child might change their actual preference, as a child can copy what an adult does (monkey see monkey do )....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wubuseah
    somehow that theory has a flaw in it...the only way to prove this would be a) isolate an actual gene that does this
    or b) separate babies after their birth into a none left/right biased enviroment to prevent the babies from being "forced" into a left/right situation due to their surroundings...
    so anyway the stat is probably becuz the parents are subconsiously training their kids to be the same as them...which is why the percentage goes up when both parents are lefties.
    merely doing things right-handed around a child might change their actual preference, as a child can copy what an adult does (monkey see monkey do )....
    Monkey see, monkey do? This would likely get you get you the opposite effect since a monkey (or a child) that is facing you would tend to 'mirror" your actions... if you lift your right arm, the monkey might tend to lift its left arm... mirror image!

For some theories on handedness, check the following link:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acro....html#Theories

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast