Mike from Japan

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by bodminton, Mar 11, 2010.

1. bodminton

bodminton Regular Member

Assistant Language Teacher - English
    Hi everyone :D

I'm Mike from the UK, currently living in Japan.

I used to play badminton just as a hobby, but since coming to Japan a few years ago, I learnt just how good one can get, by actually joining a club and playing with very high level players:eek:

I hope to learn a lot from the the forums :)

Mike (bodminton) :p

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Welcome..^^

..to BCDF, bodminton (Mike)!:)..So, what makes you come across this forum? Were you looking for more Yonex rackets?..
    Btw, are you living in lively Tokyo? or living peacefully high atop Mt. Fuji? Or somewhere in between? And if you want to meet other fellow Japan based BCers, feel free to visit the Places to Play/Clubs/Local Events->Japan sub-forum..
    Anyway, keep visiting us & enjoy your time here!;):cool:

3. bodminton

bodminton Regular Member

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I actually lived out in the sticks in the prefecture of Gunma for my first 3 years. There was nothing to do, but thank God there was a small badminton group every week. I took part in the village tounrnament with some of the locals and managed to win.

I'm currently working at a high school as a teacher, and the students have badminton club afterschool, so I joined that (and realised how bad I actually was)... then I took part in a doubles tournament with the school teacher, maybe he saw I had some potential. At that tournament, I realised what "good" players were.

Finally, I went to a few local clubs, and received a lot of advice, even as far as "you're holding the racket wrong" ....

Which finally brought me here, because I know the basics, and I want to fine-tune myself now :D

4. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    Hi Mike !!
    Hope you'll give chance to Kenichi for tomorow's final against Datuk LCW ;)

5. Aznfishie

Aznfishie New Member

Hey Mike, hope your enjoying your stay there, wish i could go.
    Just want to know more about badminton in Japan, is the competition there good?

Planning to play there, but want to check it out first. any info you could give me? xD

6. bodminton

bodminton Regular Member

I only started playing "competitively" since I came to Japan, and I must say, the people at my club are pretty damn good. I never played in a club back in England, so don't know how good the Brits are, but lets just say, nearly everyone at my club is better than me. I aspire to be like them one day, but most of the practice everyday, which probably explains why they are all so good.