Sprained Ankle 4 days Before Tryouts

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by jut703, Mar 13, 2010.

1. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

It's funny how just a week ago, I posted regarding a seeming injury on my left ankle. Guess what, now I definitely sprained my right one. I was playing a while ago, and while I was trying to cover a cross court net shot coming from the middle of the opposite side of the court, I fell and twisted my ankle.

After an hour or so, it started to swell up. Suffice to say, I couldn't play anymore. Thing is, I have tryouts on Wednesday, 4 days from now. Any tips how I can speed up the healing so that I could at least move around on court? I don't care if it hurts a little as long as I can pass the tryouts. I already canceled all my upcoming playing sessions before Wed to rest. Thanks guys. :p

2. ixoye

ixoye Regular Member

Whoa! Bummer! Sigh! No shortcuts AFAIK. Just ice & rest.

Oh, and be sure to see a doctor!

3. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

already did. 40% of the people in my group were doctors and they were all ready to help. I was advised to rest it, apply ice right away and elevate it.

right now I'm applying cold compress on it. Hopefully it doesn't hurt that by Wednesday. I'll be applying elastic bandage on it when I walk. :)

4. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

if 40% of your group are doctors, surely you don't need our advice.

5. someone16

someone16 Regular Member

Just skip the tryouts, you'll hurt yourself more trying to play through it...

6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    If your strokes are good, theres nothing to worry about. Expert can see if you are a good player. Just move slower a little. Make it look effortless.;)

7. Lordofthefart

Lordofthefart Regular Member

Student
    Tape, and I have a personal exercise every night after I sprain till it heals is writing the alphabet with my foot. I do it nice and slow to get the blood flowing through.

BTW IMO I never ice after I get off the court. I know it's really counter culture but hear me out. The faster blood flows through the area the faster it will heal. Ice slows down the blood circulation and also numbs the nerves. Thus it doesn't swell and you feel better right after. I put a hot pack against it and medication on it to get the blood flowing and thus it will heal faster. It has worked for me for my last 5 or so sprained ankles.

8. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

Well the coach doesn't know me and I really have to make a good impression. And I guess it's pretty hard to impress Ms. Kennie Asuncion (our country's best XD player) with a limping right leg :(

Hopefully I could move around well enough (if a bit slower) by Wednesday, as skipping the tryouts isn't an option. Then perhaps I could do a bit of acting so as to send the impression "oh he's playing with a really bad sprain but can move around still" :p

9. nutbad5981

nutbad5981 Regular Member

elementary grade tutor
    well, don't force yourself to play if you are injured... you may suffer more (especially the injured ankle of yours) if you want your ankle heal fast... well do not force yourself to make abrupt movements... anyway, what degree of ankle injury are you suffering? i suffered an ankle injury one time, a third degree ankle injury (i say a tendon or a ligament was torn), i never played for a month just to make sure my ankle won't get worse. Lordofthefart is right, cold compress is done/used to ease the pain... and hot compress is necessary, too. is there an orthopedic among your group? why don't ask him?

#9 nutbad5981, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  10. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

I was told that it was just a first degree sprain. Researched about it myself, and yeah I think it's really just a first degree sprain. I can walk around fairly well. There's swelling, but there's no bruising. They say a first degree sprain heals in around 2 weeks or less if there's lots of rest. I won't be getting rest since I have to walk a lot to school. I'll be wrapping it in bandage to reduce movement on it though.