BG 65 vs BG 66

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by growl, Mar 13, 2010.

1. growl

growl New Member

art director
    Hello everyone! I'm a noob and i want to ask for an advice which of these strings (BG 65 or BG 66) will best suit me. I started playing 2 to 3 times a week, 3 months ago and i recently bought an MP 630 Control (even balance, med stiff). I think i'm an all around type of player. Initially strung my new racket using Nanogy 95 at 26lbs and may arm feel sore the following day :(

2. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

3 months and you're stringing at 26. I don't know about other countries, but as I see it in the Philippines (seeing as you're from the Philippines too), a lot of beginners start at absurdly high tensions.

It doesn't matter what string you use actually. LOWER THE TENSION. Then your arm won't feel sore. But since you're making me pick, I'd say go for the BG65 because it's much cheaper than the BG66, and it's pretty much considered the benchmark. Oh and the 0.70mm means it's more durable, something you need as you said you're just a beginner and I bet you still mishit a lot. Start from there. AT A LOW TENSION. I'd say somewhere from 20-23. Why start out with such a high tension anyway?

3. No_One411

No_One411 Regular Member

Student
    This man speaks the truth. I would listen to his excellent advice. I've been seeing too many beginning players string at 26 or higher, simply to emulate that of their role model, whether it be at a club or professional level.

BG65 will probably be the most efficient string for you. It is durable, has a nice soft feeling so the impact won't destroy your arm. As for string tension, definitely string it lower. Since BG65 drops tension so easily, I would recommend stringing it at 24 lbs, so that it settles at around a nice 22 lbs or so.

Second, equipment is not the foremost deciding factor in a player's skill. I don't want to sound demeaning or anything, but it sounds like you need to work a lot on your technique. Your arm should not feel too sore if you have sound technique.

Above all, simply enjoy the sport of Badminton.

4. Lordofthefart

Lordofthefart Regular Member

Student
    Beginners should not be using BG 66, snaps too quick if hit wrong, which beginners do too much of. Furthermore, treat your racquet right, i.e. lower the tension to the recommended window, will mean your racquet can out live you.

5. growl

growl New Member

art director
    Thanks for the advice! Got it restrung this morning. Followed your advices. Used BG65 with 24lbs tension so it'll drop to 22 after a couple of plays. Will try it out tom. Working on my footwork, form and technique too. Thanks again :)