Finding your grip size?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by ZDavidC, Mar 13, 2010.

1. ZDavidC

ZDavidC Regular Member

High School Student
    Hey everyone, I was wondeirng how would u find out your grip size? I have pretty small hands. From the bottom of my plam to the tip of my middle finger is about 17. My middle finger is 7.5cm roughly, Plam roughly 9.5cm. Thumb is 5.5cm. The width of my hand is roughly 8.5cm at the widest part. Do you think a grip size of G4 would suit me?

Thanks

2. dyrtla

dyrtla Regular Member

go with G5 if ur uncertain. you can always add grip to make it thicker, but you cant remove it to become thinner, unless u want to start carving some wood.
    But the best way would be to try the grip out from a local store.
    Personally, i use G5 + overgrip

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Holding the racket with a firm but not tight grip of the handle and overgrip, there should be just 1-2 mm of space between your third fingertip and the thenar muscle of the base of your thumb.

4. NotSoHandyAndy

NotSoHandyAndy New Member

Visor - I've just signed up to say thanks for that info. I'm searching through the forum for advice on grip. With more regular\serious play I've started to notice that I'm always fidgeting with my grip and I thought it might be because it's too small. I can't grip it fully and have to have my finger tips off the racket or have a gap between grip and palm. Off to look for more info\advice. Thanks again.

5. ZDavidC

ZDavidC Regular Member

High School Student
    Well guys I got my first racquet and I think I did a decent grip on doing the overgrip myself :p

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The best badinton racquet grip is a grip that is ergonomically tailor-made to a human hand. You can fashion one that is close to this ideal and in the process saves you some money.
    The way to do this is to strip away the original grip. Cut the grip that you have just taken off by about 2/3 of its original length. Then re-grip it over the bare hande, starting about 25mm from the butt/wood handle interface line and finishing at about 50mm-60mm from the cone at the top. Now you have a real ergonomic grip, thick over your hand and thinner over your last finger grip and thinner over your thumb/index finger grip. This gives you more leverage and more comfort. It also helps in minimizing perspiration through faster evaporation.

7. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Your hand size is very similar to mine :)
    i have not met too many like us
    i prefer G5

8. ZDavidC

ZDavidC Regular Member

High School Student

Yay hand buddies? :) Lmfao
    I played with G5 it's fine but I prefer slightly bigger. So I got a Arcsaber 8DX 3U4. I wanted a 2U but they had none in stock :(.
    I came from playing tennis and table tennis so yeah.:D

9. MarkYin

MarkYin Regular Member

Is G5 the biggest grip you can get?

10. ZDavidC

ZDavidC Regular Member

High School Student
    G5 is the smallest grip.

11. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I saw on another thread, Gosen produced G6 grip

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Have you ever wondered why only a few standard grip sizes like G3, G4 and G5, fit all players? Every player is different and one size or shape doesn't fit all.
    The best grip is one that fits you ergonomically. If the standard grip sizes cannot do that because of production standardization then fashion one yourself. If Lin Dan, Taufit, and other players can tailor their grips to their specs so can you.

13. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Yonex also has a some rackets which is available in G6 for a few of the rackets, however it's only for JP.

14. GEEGEEGEE

GEEGEEGEE Regular Member

Off topic a bit...

I have a G4, but I'm used to G5. Can I use sand paper to sand down the G4 a bit? Has anyone else done this? Curious Thanks!

15. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Have you removed the original leather grip on your racquet handle and still find the G4 size bigger than your liking? If not then you can just replace that leather grip with a thinner replacement grip or a thin overgrip underneath your usual overgrip.

Sanding down the wooden handle is a little drastic but it can be done and people have done it before. You don't have to remove a lot from a stock G4 down to a G5, and as long as you can smoothen the corners slightly it should be small enough for your palm.

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

This is not a good idea. The wooden handle is hollow and has a hollow tunnel in the middle. Sanding down will weaken its structure.

17. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Really? Japanese hands are smaller? :D
    Ehm G5 is small enough for me

18. beermonstertw

beermonstertw Regular Member

I swing the rackets at the stores.To have one kind of racket with three different grip sizes ready such as G3,G4 and G5.Swing each of them twenty to thirty times roughly,then you`ll notice the difference betweent the three of them.The one that fits you better doesn`t make your hand sore;on the other hand,the ones make you hand sore easily are probably either too big or too small for you.Lots of manufacturers make their grips according to the yonex "G" system,some others don`t.It is essential to swing at least three different size of grips when you buy any rackets.For the yonex racket you can comfortably stick to one size once you`ve chosen the grip size,sometimes,with the others,you can`t.Try them out as always.

19. silvestre351

silvestre351 Regular Member

Civil Eng. / Amateur stringer
    Hi ZDavidC and all ppl
    That hand is very small.
    My hand has exactely the same measures (!!!) and I d been some time ago trying to find what would be the good size and I think I reached a conclusion, which since then worked fine.

You need a grip size that the perimeter is aprox. 3,2 inch (examples: yonex G5 with no overgrip, yonex G4 without the original grip, RSL G5 without the original grip). This allows you to have the web space and obtain the efects of fingerpower. Is is also appropriate to easily change the gripping to make good strokes.
    If you are an "arm player" (and not interested to get a good finger technique) you ll need to squeeze more the handle, so you can use Yonex G4 with an overgrip or even try a Yonex G3 or other brand similar.
    I use a RSL G5 without the factory grip and with an overgrip instead and for me it is fine. I even can say I noticed my technique improved and also the fun for the game.