Need Help Switching From Oval to Iso

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Loafers, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Loafers

Loafers Regular Member

Loafer
    Long story short. Played with my Cab 30 for about 2 years and had to quit badminton. Sold them and now I'm back again. Playing with a Cab was one of the best experiences I've ever had. Incredible shots, drops, angles, etc... but frankly it was unforgiving... I'm sure you know what I'm talking about if you own one.

I'm a singles and doubles player. I'm looking for a racket with good control and power (Cab 30esque). From what I've read, the Amortec 900T 3U seems to be what I'm looking for.

So now my question is, are there any similar rackets I should consider?

Also, I'm a little concerned how head heavy the AT 900T is. Cab 30 was head heavy, but looking at the racket chart comparison, the 900T is supposedly much head heavier. How maneuverable is it? Is it like waving a brick on a stick?

For the price and shape, I'm scared of switching :(... I'm hoping that my hiatus will make the transition to iso smoother.

Your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    have you considered the cab35?

3. druss

druss Regular Member

Arc Z?? it's kind of an in between oval and iso head.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Going from an oval to an iso should be a non-event as compared to the reverse.

If the AT900T is too head heavy, you could consider the NS9900. However, the former would be a more all-rounder for singles and doubles, whereas the latter is too headlight for singles.

5. Loafers

Loafers Regular Member

Loafer
    Thanks for the replies. I have considered the Cab 35, but frankly I don't know what to make of it. I read the Yonex Carbonex 35 thread and all I can make out is it's an updated version of Cab 20/21/25 and an all around racket. There was only maybe one complete review comparing it to the Cab 30. I wish there was more feedback... especially in regards to its power and control...

As for the AmorTec 900T how much control do I lose (or gain) with a heavier head heavy racket (compared to let's say the Cab 30).

6. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Why not just get another Cab30?

I have been moving around rackets and nothing really came close to the Cabs. In my case, I was looking for something that supports a higher tension but as close to the Cab feel as possible. Cab30s are good for up to 26-27lbs. It's not like they will collapse immediately but they become fragile and caves a bit too easily in a racket fight.

I think the ArcZ is something you want to look at if you are moving towards Iso. I've just settled on the Mizuno TC700 which is also in-between Oval and Iso.

7. OliverHH

OliverHH Regular Member

Student
    Due to the Aero frame it's quite easy to swing, imo. And does not feel head heavy when swung. Best racket out there ;)

8. Loafers

Loafers Regular Member

Loafer
    I thought so. But since it isn't head heavy, won't it mean less power than the Cab 30?

PS - I'm not a particularly strong guy.

#8 Loafers, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  9. OliverHH

OliverHH Regular Member

Student
    It is head heavy, just doesn't feel like it when swinging.
    I cannot compare it to a Cab, since I haven't played with one, but it has very decent power i 3U, trust me! :)

10. Lordofthefart

Lordofthefart Regular Member

Student
    I've used a 900T and it's fine. It's maneuverable and it's not that head heavy. In my opinion it's a great control racquet that lacks the punch that many others will give. I had to work with it for a while before I could get the hang of it. At first everything will feel wrong with the 900T, well for me at least.

Comparatively I picked up a BS 10, 900P, NS9900, Ti10 gen2&3, and Arc10 with little to no problems, so I doubt it's my playing that caused a longer adjustment period.