Coaching Tips for absolute beginner

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Sheldon, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Sheldon

Sheldon Regular Member

Student
    Cambridge, UK (heh..only a sixth form college tho)
    Anybody have any basic coaching tips for a complete beginner? IE. someone who can hit the shuttle pretty regularly but footwork is non-existent and strokes dont look too good. I was thinking along the lines of more "getting used" to the shuttle speed, trajectory and anticipation before moving onto proper strokes by basically rallying as the main form of practise? Any ideas?

Thanks

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

An absolute beginner can't hit a bird regularly... when i first started badminton, i'd miss almost 50% of the "easy" rally-ending shots! I've gotten better by just playing. Coaching not faster than. Trying to describe technique is rather useless imho... its much better to have someone watch you play, and show you the moves themselves.

3. wind rider

wind rider Regular Member

Student
    for a newbie i would make them do the following:

1.) Hit high and far clears and make them hit it back to your backcourt (some people wont be able to do it, explain the the action of the wrist is needed)

2.) Shuttle runs, explain the basics of the footwork and make them do this, gives them a basic idea of how to get around the court, gives them an idea how tiring badminton can be

3.) Serves, make them do this over and over since is the most important shot of the game (let them do long ones at start and move to short ones once they got the hang of it)

4. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    That's exactly what my coach makes beginners do. And sometimes he ties a long string to his racquet and the other end into a shuttle. then he stands on a bench while holding his racquet out and the beginner tries to hit the shuttle on the coach's racquet. the student doing this has to keep on turning his body as part of the footwork. You know what I mean, not turning as in turning as complete circle!:D

5. wind rider

wind rider Regular Member

Student
    :D
    glad no one did that to me....i would have felt like an idoit :p

6. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Come on, this beginners are kids! :D No coach will make an adult do that. Unless they are really really really terrible. lol. :D