To many mistakes

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by p@p@k, Mar 15, 2010.

1. p@p@k

p@p@k Regular Member

Hi,
    i need a little help in training one player (16 year). He is very talented, fast, decent footwork, good strokes. But in real game he make too many mistakes and cant get any progress in that field. He is at shuttle at right time (not to late) but he still make too many error shots. Net shots finished in net, clears go wide or to far, smashes mostly in net.

Please advis what kind of exercises will help here?

TY all

2. druss

druss Regular Member

Sounds like more of a mental issue than a physical one. He might be trying to do too much with every shot. Singles especially you need patience, set up an attack, don't try to win a point on every shot.

3. charliebadders

charliebadders Regular Member

student
    about 6 months ago i had this problem alot i would hit the net, hit mostly all my shots wide, it was because i was a perfectionist. i would aim for an exact place everytime and my margins would be so small that i would either play an amazing shot or a terrible one :p so now i normally aim about a foot away from where i want to hit just incase of hitting it out :) also, it would help if he did loads of shot drills to develop his memory muscle then he would be able to hit the shot again and again.another way is that you could give him some motivation. for example, when in county and we are perfecting a shot our coach will place a shuttle tube in where he wants you to hit the shuttle, if you get the shuttle in the tube 3 times he will give you £5 if your lucky or get to choose who you play with in your next game. hope this helps :p

4. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Charlie is right.

Why not set out targets on a court and get him to hit them in training. You do need to understand what is going on mentally as there is an issue here.

It may be worth introducing a reward V consequences game when feeding so he is penalised when missing the targets. You can use shuttle tubes or boxes as targets very effectively.

To your success

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

5. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    just simply not enough practice, keep feed him with those kind of situation, get him hit those kind of shots for couple hundred times his muscle's memory will get it,

6. lukasek97

lukasek97 Regular Member

It probably all about mentality

7. p@p@k

p@p@k Regular Member

yes he defenetly wants too much from every shoot and also its mental issue too cos when he is "in match" 100% he make less mistakes. But charlies idea about targets is great I will defenetly try this.

Thanks for now.

8. p@p@k

p@p@k Regular Member

@paulstewart64
    Nice web page Paul hope you will continue this with more advanced tips and tatctics.

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I think that suggestion is spot-on.

It's worth thinking about what you're trying to achieve with targets, and this depends on what the player is currently doing.

Players often get into the habit of hitting shots "randomly". When smashing, for example, they might just be focusing on hitting it hard and downwards, and not focusing on the placement at all. Targets can be useful here, because a target helps them learn the discipline of aiming for a particular spot. The target also raises their awareness of how accurate their shot really is.

But let's suppose the players are already aiming for a particular area. Then what is the role of a target? Well, it's now about measuring their success, providing feedback, and creating a challenge to motivate them.

Sometimes it's good to aim for a really difficult target. For one thing, it's good fun. But at some point, you need to start looking at the overall consistency.

As Paul said, introducing a penalty for misses is often necessary. There's lots of variations, but here's one general scheme:

• Outer target (a moderate-sized area) is worth 1 point
    • Inner target (small area) is worth 2 points
    • Outside the target is -1 points
    • Outside the court is -3 points
    • Feed a set number of shuttles (10, 20, whatever) and count your overall score

Often you don't need all of those, and you can simplify the practice instead. You also would need to adjust the point weighting and target size according to the players and what you're practising.

10. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Looking at the problem squarely and trying to improve on it is a good thing and is admirable. However, this would take some time.

In the mean time, the player's consistency may still be lacking. This could all boil down to trying too much, I think, as some already pointed out. My daughter seems to suffer the same issue, and that got me thinking about it, a lot.

Plenty of time, in Singles, for instance, players are coached to attack the 4 corners. And so the players would dutifully aim their shots to the 4 extreme corners, forgetting about the fact that they haven't achieved the accuracy and consistency to do so.

I explained the idea of "margin of safety/error" to my kid, which involves a bit of statistics (standard deviation from your target, so to speak), and asked her not to go for the lines/corners. It only took a short while for her to reduce drastically her number of unforced errors. The truth is, a player needs to ask himself how tight a shot he needs to make to cause difficulty to his opponents. At a lower level, most players shouldn't need to aim for the extreme lines and corners. Over time, however, a player should definitely work towards shrinking his needed margin for error. But this would be a long-term goal.

What do you think?