Rotating the body back and forth just before serving?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by visor, Mar 15, 2010.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

Rotating the body back and forth just before serving, like Paaske?

After watching Lars Paaske and Jonas Rasmussen play thru the All England 2010 to their final win, I've notice that Paaske rotates his body, specifically his waist, back and forth just before serving... much like the turret on top of a tank. :eek::p

He's the only player I've seen that does this! Initially I thought it was the camera panning/moving, but it's him that's moving. I can see the advantage in being able to change the direction of the serve while keeping the racket and bird steady. Maybe I can try that next time I play...:D

I suppose that's legal, since no officials have faulted him and the movement can be considered part of the serve preparation.

But what do you guys think of this?

#1 visor, Mar 15, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
    Aventus likes this.
  2. matt30mb

matt30mb Regular Member

That should be 100% legal, the rules says nothing about the movement of the body but about the movement of the racket ...

And on All England are present the best umpires in the World :D I think they know what is right and what's not ...

Aventus likes this.
  3. datuklow

datuklow Regular Member

Student
    but they certainly has the worst line judge in the world. Way worse than Malaysia.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I've seen Donna Kellogg do this as well.

Aventus likes this.
  5. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    DO you think this is leagal?

After getting in to a ready position, he waits for a long time before serve. To me, it looks like an "undue delay"

If not, I can get ready and then do all circus in the world without moving racket hand or foot? (I do not know if I move my foot, that will be a fault or not)

Gollum, do you have any planes to edit your serving guide?
    :cool: