User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    sibu
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default low and high jump smash

    i not sure is it only me. i found that i can smash more powerful if i jump for abit around 10-20 cm from the ground than jumping up to the maximum and smash.maybe it is because im nt get used to smash up in teh air.
    is there any advise ?are you having the same problem ?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    London area, UK
    Posts
    3,981
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This is pretty common. Performing a true jump smash, where you jump upwards for height, poses some additional technical and physical challenges. Many players find that their smashes get worse when they try jumping for height, for two reasons:

    • Coordinating the smash action together with a jump is more difficult
    • The reduced body rotation takes away power


    If you get it right, then a jump smash has the potential to be more powerful than a normal "just get your feet off the ground" smash. However, it's easy to get wrong.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Brunei
    Posts
    453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    This is pretty common. Performing a true jump smash, where you jump upwards for height, poses some additional technical and physical challenges. Many players find that their smashes get worse when they try jumping for height, for two reasons:

    • Coordinating the smash action together with a jump is more difficult
    • The reduced body rotation takes away power

    If you get it right, then a jump smash has the potential to be more powerful than a normal "just get your feet off the ground" smash. However, it's easy to get wrong.

    I find this is very true. I find more power from a small hop smash rather than a full jumpsmash for reasons Gollum outlined. Remedy? Just keep trying. I am progressively jumping higher and the flow from moving around with feet on ground to a jumpsmash gets smoother and no abrupt "stop and jump", if you know what I mean.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Badmintan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    AMK (Singapore)
    Posts
    1,008
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monster View Post
    I find this is very true. I find more power from a small hop smash rather than a full jumpsmash for reasons Gollum outlined. Remedy? Just keep trying. I am progressively jumping higher and the flow from moving around with feet on ground to a jumpsmash gets smoother and no abrupt "stop and jump", if you know what I mean.
    Oh you mean taking small steps to position yourself to the left of the shuttle (right handed) and behind the shuttle before takeoff?

    I think what makes the jumpsmash hard is the footwork to get behind the shuttle early. Then you need to judge when to time the jump.

    The less you are behind the shuttle the less threatening is the jumpsmash.

    I find the WD's style of smashing is easier to do but can be replied by a fast drive by opponent. (curling your non-racquet leg and then rotate forward)

    On the other hand, the jumpsmashes easily force a lift or block. It is harder to drive away a jumpsmash.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    KL & Sg
    Posts
    5,315
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Jumping for smash gives you two basic advantages.
    1) Height, of course, which translates to a steeper smash.
    2) Power, because you can put your whole body into the smash, which is impossible with a standing smash.

    If you are only going for power, then you just need to jump enough for your whole body to rotate for the smash.

    Edit: (My assumption) Somewhat like Candra Wijaya. Since he's not that tall, he's not gunning for steepness. Why tire yourself jumping to the max?
    Last edited by hcyong; 03-19-2010 at 02:15 AM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    garden grove
    Posts
    415
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If i'm not wrong the higher of the contact point the steeper the angle goes; in addition, the steeper angle the faster the bird goes, or maybe can consider the more power you can create.

    Example: baseball, the pitcher is on the higher ground.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    KL
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamepurpose View Post
    If i'm not wrong the higher of the contact point the steeper the angle goes; in addition, the steeper angle the faster the bird goes, or maybe can consider the more power you can create.

    Example: baseball, the pitcher is on the higher ground.

    I would say the steeper smash is better because
    a)the distance to the floor from the contact point is shorter.
    The smash during the last metre of flight slows down tremendously. If a steep smash can reduce the flight distance by 1m, it will reduce the flight time by 0.05 to 0.10 second. Too fast for the retriever to react.
    b)the gravity component of the shuttle on flight is higher(i.e. physics) because the startiing angle of the smash is steeper i.e. closer to the gravitation pull. This will make the shuttle fractionally faster all the way.
    c) the angle is steeper at the receiving end.
    You cannot play the flat return, ending with a round of attack.
    My opinion the distance factor is more significant but all these factors combined to give a deadly steep smash.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    @koaylt: I don't know if the physics you're saying is flawed or I just totally didn't get it. Are you saying that since jump smashes are steeper, the acceleration due to gravity is higher since they are in the same axis (y-axis)? If that's the case, then it's wrong because g is always constant no matter what.

    However, there's also the chance that what you're trying to say involves component vectors. Let us assign the force from the jump smash as F. This F will be at an angle from the ground, and therefore has x and y components. Any projectile's length of trajectory is dependent on the x-component ALONE. If a smash is steep, then its x-component is lesser than a flatter smash, because most of the force is directed downwards. Therefore, it has a lesser distance to travel. Which corresponds with your point a. :P

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    KL
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    @koaylt: I don't know if the physics you're saying is flawed or I just totally didn't get it. Are you saying that since jump smashes are steeper, the acceleration due to gravity is higher since they are in the same axis (y-axis)? If that's the case, then it's wrong because g is always constant no matter what.

    However, there's also the chance that what you're trying to say involves component vectors. Let us assign the force from the jump smash as F. This F will be at an angle from the ground, and therefore has x and y components. Any projectile's length of trajectory is dependent on the x-component ALONE. If a smash is steep, then its x-component is lesser than a flatter smash, because most of the force is directed downwards. Therefore, it has a lesser distance to travel. Which corresponds with your point a. :P
    You are right about g being constant and component vectors involved. To understand this further, let us consider two limiting cases.
    In Case 1, we consider a 250kph smash that is horizontal. The initial horizontal velocity is 250kph but the initial vertical velocity is zero. The shuttle will be decelerated until v(horizontal)=0 m/s and v(vertical)=squareroot(g.y)under gravitational acceleration of 9.8m/s/s. The vertical distance travelled by the horizontal smash is the same as a vertically dropped shuttle.
    In case 2, the shuttle is smashed vertically(assuming the feather is not in the way). The initial vertical v=250kph decelerating due to air drag but accelerating at 9.8m/s/s. the shuttle is still faster in the downward direction than the horizontal smash.
    Since our case is for a steeper smash, it is closer and approaching to Case 2, therefore the tangential velocity of the shuttle will be faster.

    As for the projectile calcs, i have left it for too long to figure this out. However, having explained the vector mechanism and outlined the concepts of the shuttle flight , I hope some high school student can take it as a project to prove or disprove my point. Perhaps something interesting can be shared to all.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by koaylt View Post
    (case 1: horizontal smash...)

    In case 2, the shuttle is smashed vertically(assuming the feather is not in the way). The initial vertical v=250kph decelerating due to air drag but accelerating at 9.8m/s/s. the shuttle is still faster in the downward direction than the horizontal smash.
    Since our case is for a steeper smash, it is closer and approaching to Case 2, therefore the tangential velocity of the shuttle will be faster.
    Since the horizontal component of the shuttle's velocity is much greater than the change in vertical component given by gravity (by something like a factor of ten, at a rough estimate), the effect you're describing here is negligible. If our smashes only left the racket at 10m/s (36 km/h) then you'd be onto something...

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    where do u live?
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I forgot who said this but, every smash is a jump smash, if your doing it properly with body rotation. Obviously I know where talking about a real jump smash and i find if im going for a full jump that i have to make sure i start with my body facing the side, therefore i turn my whole body to the side and as i jump my whole body turns into the shuttle, this is probably what most people who have trouble with their full jump smash should try and be conscience of

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Brunei
    Posts
    453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    In short, jumpsmashes, if done correctly, is a dangerous threat for the opponent, if you still have lots of gas running.

    hcyong: Yes, the small steps before the big jump

Similar Threads

  1. How High can you jump.
    By Vijay875200 in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 86
    : 12-08-2011, 12:16 PM
  2. Jump Smash -Block Jump
    By staiger in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 13
    : 06-23-2011, 05:37 AM
  3. low and high jump smash
    By autolink in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 0
    : 03-16-2010, 09:15 PM
  4. How High Do You Guys Jump?
    By LJ1000F in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 54
    : 02-09-2007, 03:38 PM
  5. How can they jump so high?!
    By Luka in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 22
    : 10-10-2001, 01:24 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •