User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 25
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    76
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Rejection and Improvement

    Just a while ago, I tried out for our school's varsity.

    As you could probably imply from the title, I failed. I felt that I really played badly a while ago. Perhaps it was because I was playing with a sprain, but the pain didn't bother me until an hour after I started playing. Initially I felt so nervous and pressured. I lost my first game against this other guy trying out, mainly because I really felt pressured. My clears weren't reaching the back line so I didn't pressure the opponents enough, and I couldn't move around quick enough for the well-placed shots.

    What could I possibly do to improve on my game? I know my shortcomings are partly mental and partly physical. Sadly, I don't have a coach right now because of financial difficulties. That's why it was very vital for me to get in the team because I could get free training that way. But with the way I played a while ago, I don't think I'll be receiving the confirmation text they said they'll send to those they think should get in.

    I think my footwork was severely lacking a while ago, that's why I couldn't prepare properly to put power in my shots. I try to believe that it was just my sprain but perhaps I have to face the reality that I'm a sucky player. So I'm asking for help, how can I improve my footwork even if I don't have a coach right now?

  2. #2
    Regular Member extremenanopowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    SG. Go for NCAP-L2 certified coach.
    Posts
    11,579
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There are lots of videos in there. The important thing is playing regularly and consistently. People can see a player with good calibre. Normally you'll need to join the uni badminton club regularly to let people know you.

    The selection also should be based on a round robin type of game to see who is the most consistent in the team. Knock out system is a little unfair in case you have 2 strong similar strength type of players.

    That's how I select and observe good players. For the last few places, I'll let a few to fight it out for the places again. Again round robin style over a couple of days.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    76
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    We did a sort of round robin. There were about 20 women who tried out, and there were 7 of us guys.

    Among the 7 guys, we played singles up to 11 points, but we only had time for 3 matches.I lost the first match, 11-6, and then won the next 2, 11-4 and 11-7. However, the last two I battled weren't top caliber candidates so I don't think it proves much.

    Then, we did matches against the current varsity players. I lost 3-11 and 6-11.

    As I said earlier, there'll be a continuation of the tryouts on Friday for those the coach will text. I'm really scared I won't be part of that.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Makati, Philippines
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Among the 7 guys, we played singles up to 11 points, but we only had time for 3 matches.I lost the first match, 11-6, and then won the next 2, 11-4 and 11-7. However, the last two I battled weren't top caliber candidates so I don't think it proves much.

    Then, we did matches against the current varsity players. I lost 3-11 and 6-11.

    Well, you can't be expected to win against current varsity, with or without that sprain. Also, you won 2 of 3 games! With an injury!

    Even if you don't make the cut, it's not the end of your badminton. You can still play, you can still train, though i suggest that you get a different coach, one that will help you play properly and prevent those injuries in the first place.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    76
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I tried not to play the pity card as long as I could, hoping to get in on pure skill alone. However, after some point in the tryout session, it really started hurting again and it started becoming uncomfortable to put load on my right foot. The coach took notice of this and asked if I was okay. I once again refused to invoke pity so I said I could play on, but in reality I felt slower.

    I don't know if I should try to talk to the coach and ask for another chance in case she rejects me with the excuse that I was playing with a sprain. The risk is, maybe it's not the sprain itself, but my sheer lack of skill. I'll just get embarrassed if I screw up again.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Makati, Philippines
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    I don't know if I should try to talk to the coach and ask for another chance in case she rejects me with the excuse that I was playing with a sprain. The risk is, maybe it's not the sprain itself, but my sheer lack of skill. I'll just get embarrassed if I screw up again.
    Your coach can see whether or not you have the skills, with or without a sprain. How you clear, how you move, she can tell if you have what they're looking for. If you want to ask for another chance, go ahead, be bold. What have you got to lose?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    76
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The results came out and I'm not in the official list of those who got in for the second round.

    How could I best talk to the coach to give me another chance to try out?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Brunei
    Posts
    453
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Does bribery work over there?

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    76
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    No, bribery doesn't work. Asking nicely does, though. I asked to try out again a while ago and she allowed me. Nonetheless, I was rejected once again.

    Well, right now I'm done sulking and I can actually think of this as a learning experience. It opened my eyes to the fact that I'm not as good as I think I am, and that I need further improvement in my overall game if I would want to go head to head with my university's varsity team.

    I need help with my badminton regimen, because I plan to give it a total makeover. I have approximately a year before the next tryouts, and I wish to improve to varsity level by next year. If that's too ambitious, then at least good enough to be able to get accepted even as a reserve.

    My current badminton schedule is as follows:

    2-4 hours every Monday, and sometimes Wednesday - club games with fairly good people. A lot of them are over 40 already so it's a different playing field, mostly technique and less of the athleticism. I actually got used to this slow pace so I wasn't used to the high-speed teenage pace of the varsity team.

    2 hours every Saturday - playing with my aunts. They're not that good and I feel like one of the reasons I've plateaued is because I always play with them. However, I have tried joining other groups during Saturday as well, playing 2 hours before the 2 hours I play with my aunts, so that makes a total of 4 hours. The people here aren't fast, again because of age, but they play with a lot of power and technique.

    I've stopped training because I can't afford a coach and I was only available during peak hours in our club which meant court fees were much higher than off peak hours (8am-4pm) (in our country it's not a monthly fee).

    Ive thought about it, and I realized I should maintain my club sessions, or reduce them by a little (but not erase them altogether because actual play is important as well), but more importantly, start training again. How many hours a week of training does it take to be able to play at varsity level?

    My current skill level is probably somewhere between beginner and intermediate. I can do all shots, from clears to jump smashes, though I'm quite inconsistent.

    My weaknesses are:

    - Flat smashes
    - Sub-par foot work
    - I think I have the wrong technique with drop shots
    - Not fast enough reflexes
    - Sometimes my clears don't reach the back lines
    - Very inconsistent backhands (I think I have poor technique here)
    - Frequent mishits (I noticed that quite a lot of white shuttle-marks are around 2 inches away from my string bed's center)
    - I deal with pressure badly

    My strengths are:

    - I have the extreme drive to improve
    - I'm quite agile, though it doesn't translate to much on court because of my poor footwork

    Can anyone suggest a good badminton regimen?

    And for those in the Philippines, where can I get good group training (something like summer clinics or whatever)? I hear those are cheaper than one-on-one coaches.

    Sorry for the lengthy post, but I really do need help.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    faisalabd
    Posts
    97
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    gollum's website helps a great deal.learn footwork off his pages and do 5 sets of 12 corners, before anything when you are on-court. ask someone to play drop shots randomly. thats the wall of footwork. if u someone is unable shave off cheap points off drop shots, u r getting better.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    76
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks. I think I need to get a coach though to do the feeding and to guide me if I'm doing the footwork wrong.

    Though I suppose I could do Gollum's drills here at home on our living room when I've got nothing to do. Thing is, the dimensions are smaller than a real court

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Makati, Philippines
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    And for those in the Philippines, where can I get good group training (something like summer clinics or whatever)? I hear those are cheaper than one-on-one coaches.

    Summer clinics cost around Php 3k. Generally for kids, won't help you, IMHO. Better spend the money on a good racket.

    Group training will help you if you get a good trainer. Best to get in touch with your choice and ask him/her about it. Good luck!

  13. #13
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    12,527
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    No, bribery doesn't work. Asking nicely does, though. I asked to try out again a while ago and she allowed me. Nonetheless, I was rejected once again.

    Well, right now I'm done sulking and I can actually think of this as a learning experience. It opened my eyes to the fact that I'm not as good as I think I am, and that I need further improvement in my overall game if I would want to go head to head with my university's varsity team.

    I need help with my badminton regimen, because I plan to give it a total makeover. I have approximately a year before the next tryouts, and I wish to improve to varsity level by next year. If that's too ambitious, then at least good enough to be able to get accepted even as a reserve.

    My current badminton schedule is as follows:

    2-4 hours every Monday, and sometimes Wednesday - club games with fairly good people. A lot of them are over 40 already so it's a different playing field, mostly technique and less of the athleticism. I actually got used to this slow pace so I wasn't used to the high-speed teenage pace of the varsity team.

    2 hours every Saturday - playing with my aunts. They're not that good and I feel like one of the reasons I've plateaued is because I always play with them. However, I have tried joining other groups during Saturday as well, playing 2 hours before the 2 hours I play with my aunts, so that makes a total of 4 hours. The people here aren't fast, again because of age, but they play with a lot of power and technique.

    I've stopped training because I can't afford a coach and I was only available during peak hours in our club which meant court fees were much higher than off peak hours (8am-4pm) (in our country it's not a monthly fee).

    Ive thought about it, and I realized I should maintain my club sessions, or reduce them by a little (but not erase them altogether because actual play is important as well), but more importantly, start training again. How many hours a week of training does it take to be able to play at varsity level?

    My current skill level is probably somewhere between beginner and intermediate. I can do all shots, from clears to jump smashes, though I'm quite inconsistent.

    My weaknesses are:

    - Flat smashes
    - Sub-par foot work
    - I think I have the wrong technique with drop shots
    - Not fast enough reflexes
    - Sometimes my clears don't reach the back lines
    - Very inconsistent backhands (I think I have poor technique here)
    - Frequent mishits (I noticed that quite a lot of white shuttle-marks are around 2 inches away from my string bed's center)
    - I deal with pressure badly

    My strengths are:

    - I have the extreme drive to improve
    - I'm quite agile, though it doesn't translate to much on court because of my poor footwork

    Can anyone suggest a good badminton regimen?

    And for those in the Philippines, where can I get good group training (something like summer clinics or whatever)? I hear those are cheaper than one-on-one coaches.

    Sorry for the lengthy post, but I really do need help.
    Not playing enough and not hitting enough shuttles.

    Play singles.

    Learn from videos

    Ask friends who have good technique to help out.

    Train half court singles to improve your consistency.

    I don't know the level of your Varsity team but realistically, I don't think you can make it because your base level is not at the required level. That's why you tried three times and couldn't get into the team. It would take one-to-one coaching to brush up on technique and many competitions (for experience) to get into the team in one year.
    Last edited by Cheung; 03-19-2010 at 08:10 PM.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    76
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Not playing enough and not hitting enough shuttles.

    Play singles.

    Learn from videos

    Ask friends who have good technique to help out.

    Train half court singles to improve your consistency.

    I don't know the level of your Varsity team but realistically, I don't think you can make it because your base level is not at the required level. That's why you tried three times and couldn't get into the team. It would take one-to-one coaching to brush up on technique and many competitions (for experience) to get into the team in one year.
    Yeah. I figured my current level right now isn't varsity level yet. I was under the false impression that if they you trying hard enough and giving it all your all, they'd let you join the training.

    About competitions, I realized I do need to join, not just for the experience, but because of the pressure. I've been so used to casual club play that I felt so pressured when I knew someone was watching my every move

    I do hope I could improve well enough for next year. The current varsity members are really good already, with quick reflexes and footwork that allow them to overcome well-placed shots and still make an attack out of them. Those that got in, however, I don't think their skill level is as good yet, and I don't know if I'm just being optimistic, but perhaps I could reach their level in a year. Well they've got form and technique, but not the power and speed of the varsity yet.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    manila,philippines
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    why don't you try to ask your coach about practicing at every training session of the varsity team? just ask her if its ok for you to play and learn on every session even if you won't be able to be a varsity. I am also currently in our school badminton team and is still training to be a varsity and one of our badminton mates asked permission from our coach about the fact that he will stay for fitness and training opportunities and fortunately the coach allowed him to do so and told him that if he sees improvements on him he might be able to give him a chance for this ear's try outs. or maybe you could do drills at home such as hitting the walls, making your limbs stronger such as arms and legs, doing shadow badminton........just self improvise. We wouldn't know, it might help.

    where are you in the philippines? manila? KAMANAVA? makati? you're in college right now am i right?
    Last edited by master_taz101; 03-19-2010 at 10:24 PM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Makati, Philippines
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    I don't know the level of your Varsity team but realistically, I don't think you can make it because your base level is not at the required level. That's why you tried three times and couldn't get into the team. It would take one-to-one coaching to brush up on technique and many competitions (for experience) to get into the team in one year.

    Cheung is correct. The problem with many local trainers is that they don't teach the base level correctly, if at all. What they teach is good enough for club play but not varsity. They do that because most people want that, they just want to play social games with their friends. So you can't really blame them.

    No matter how many singles games or how often you play, if your base level is low or incorrect, you won't go very far.
    Last edited by ixoye; 03-19-2010 at 10:51 PM.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    76
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by master_taz101 View Post
    why don't you try to ask your coach about practicing at every training session of the varsity team? just ask her if its ok for you to play and learn on every session even if you won't be able to be a varsity. I am also currently in our school badminton team and is still training to be a varsity and one of our badminton mates asked permission from our coach about the fact that he will stay for fitness and training opportunities and fortunately the coach allowed him to do so and told him that if he sees improvements on him he might be able to give him a chance for this ear's try outs. or maybe you could do drills at home such as hitting the walls, making your limbs stronger such as arms and legs, doing shadow badminton........just self improvise. We wouldn't know, it might help.

    where are you in the philippines? manila? KAMANAVA? makati? you're in college right now am i right?
    I don't think that's possible. Our school varsity's quite stringent on their training sessions.

    I live in Pasig, near Mandaluyong. Yes, I am in college, incoming sophomore What about you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How much improvement can you get in 2 1/2 months?
    By CkcJsm in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 15
    : 11-28-2008, 03:46 AM
  2. Japan's Improvement
    By david14700 in forum German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2008
    Replies: 19
    : 03-07-2008, 10:04 PM
  3. Backhand improvement
    By SilverDJ in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 1
    : 01-30-2008, 02:07 AM
  4. Malaysia happy with rejection for change in order of play
    By ants in forum Commonwealth Games 2006 Badminton
    Replies: 2
    : 03-15-2006, 02:02 PM
  5. Improvement?
    By Fred Nac in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 1
    : 03-11-2006, 05:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •