AE 2010 Day 1 Review

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2010' started by jamesd20, Mar 17, 2010.

1. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I have been to the AE again this year & enjoyed it very much this year as I have in the others. Plase bear with me if thi review drags & apologies for the delay, but leaving it later gives me the pleasure of reliving it once more!

DAY 1 (of main draw)

I didn't arrive until late, about 1700 so missed most of the matches I wanted to watch, so my apologies for this.

MS

The first match I saw was NTY vs Tago. I was looking forward to this match, as I had seen NTH last year & liked his style (Old style, fast paced clears, lifts & drops) It disappointed really as Tago (whom I had not seen before totally dominated him. Tago soaked up his pace & took the counter attack to him, without much fight.

Next (but simultaneous on court) was Chen Jin Vs Rumbaka of INA. I thought Rumbaka was a better player, more skillfull, quicker & made the chances. What he lacked was a little court coverage - he struggled with larger diagonal movements & didn't seem to have poweful ounter attack movements - and also a finsihing smash was also missing. I don't know much about him, but he had a real chance to win in each game (in fact had he believed a bit more in the first game, where he looked nervous or overawed) he may have won. Anyone tell me how old he is/more info? I will tlk more about CJ in the next days play.

BCL vs Zweibler was a cakewalk, BCL very impressive.

PSH vs Sasaki, was another impressive performance from Park, he never let Sasaki in.

Hafiz was also very strong, even though he was playing a TPE player he definitely looked good - focussed, working hard & finishing. I actually looked up the draw as I thought he could do very well - then I saw he was playing LD next!!

WS

Only three games of note IMHO:

Wang Yihan made a real eal of beating the Russian Ella diehl. She didn't play bad but she wasn't aggressive enough. 21-19 21-19 could have genuinely gone either way.

Tine vs Kim Moon Hi. I don't know how old Kim is but she was pretty impresive. Tall and similar in build to XXF, she was a similar player to tine - shot maker, strong winners, but a lot of errors. The games were pretty tight, an although I never felt Tine would lose she made it uncomfortable & I will keep an eye out for her in the future.

Eriko vs Wang Lin. This was a crazy match that Wang Lin should never have lost. She anihilated Eriko in the first & the 2nd game she wasn't really under pressure but lost a number of points toward the end & in the third, it was tight, but I never fancied her at all. Too defensive, not dominating enough. I have said it for almost three years now but the new Chinese are not physically strong enough. They appear not to be able to control the points and dominate when the opposition plays a defensive game, but simply just give it back if they do get the chance, they seem not confident to finish.

XD

No matches of particular note, except I am disappointed in LYD - when he was 18 I thought he was going to be a real gem. He is still a stunning players, but as I will mention later he is not developing to his full potential, despite him being still young. That said he still won in thre games today.

MD & WD

No matches that enthralled today :mad:

#1 jamesd20, Mar 17, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Cool..

..alright, finally the report is here..
    - For the info on DH Rumbaka, there is already a thread dedicated to him in the Professional Players sub-forum. So, infos & pics of him should be there.
    - You meant "..the new Chinese are not physically strong enough"??..:confused:

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Thanks, & yes I have ammended this....

And for others refernece Rumbakas' thread is here (expect me to post there soon)

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73250&highlight=rumbaka

4. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    FYI, what I gathered from BC is that LYD is carrying an injury. If true, this would probably be the reason for his tentative games.

5. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Then he should not play 2 disciplines plus he should rest and withdraw from Swiss Open...but he still plays 2 disciplines....so LYD thinks he is okay with his injury