Ae 2010 Day 2 Review

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2010' started by jamesd20, Mar 17, 2010.

1. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I have been to the AE again this year & enjoyed it very much this year as I have in the others. Plase bear with me if thi review drags & apologies for the delay, but leaving it later gives me the pleasure of reliving it once more!

DAY 2 (of main draw)

Again I was pretty late getting there, just after the mid session interval.

MS

Tago Vs Persson

This was a pretty lucky game for Tago. Persson is now pretty experienced & altough he doesn't look anything special (no ofence intended) he does everything well (tactically, technically, skills). He certainly looks like his movement has improved. A few years ago he was very heavy on his feet, but he is now fairly smooth. He won the first game, where he worked hard for the game, but from then on he appeared to struggle with a niggle, touhing either his back or his hip & although the 2nd game (21-15) looked ok, he was never in it & the third game he was nowhere. Unfortunate, but tago deserved it as he perhaps "forced" the injury by working so hard to push persson in the 1st end.

CJ Vs Rajiv Ouseph

CJ flatters to deceive, he has obvious skill & physical ability, but makes hard work of everything. He ws clearly better in all aspect of the game, but he tries to play like his opponents and gets weighed down in the battle. If he just played his own game and was attcking he ould win these games far easier

Bao Vs Park

Unreal display by BCL. I love Bao's play, he is so perfect in his technique & placement. Park never sttod a chance, he led 13-0 in the first game & was never down in the 2nd. Park looked strong the day before but he didn't know what hit him today.

LD Vs Hafiz

Lin played well, but not outstanding, he certainly didn't have his top gear on show today. Hafi was strong, and had his chance in the 2nd, but the shock was never really on for me.

WS

Lu Lan vs Susan Eglestaff

I have never heard of the scottish player, and quite disrespctfully noted to my partner that I doubt if she would get into double figures in either game. I apologise. She is really a good player, good skill & strokeplay. He biggest weakness ws her splitstep, and she got caught out many times flat footed in the base, without thouse easy points She would have won. Lu Lan is so frustrating. She is tall-so you expect good angles, powerful-so you expect good coverage, chinese - so you expect good fitness. You would be wrong on al counts. For me she has nothing, her deception is not great, her general strokeplay is normal & depsite her physique she seems to struglle to cover the whole court. Me & my partner were questioning wy she is still on the team.

Fairplay to Eglestaff though, she worked hard & very nearly took a big scalp.

Tine Vs Hirose

Tine did what Wang Lin should have finished off yesterday, won the second game & continued to dominate.

XD

The matches in the main were pretty routine, LYD again underperformed but won. The most interesting match of the Day was Robertson/Wallwork vs Laybourn/juhl. Robertson is clearly being forced to play harder & more concentrated with his new partner & the game was Scrappy, the women were pretty poor, neither taking control of the net & Juhl in particular had a shocker(!) It to'd & Fro'd until eventually Wallwork stepped it up, and took a few points at the middle section of the 3rd & took it.Juhl needs to stay at the net more, she seemed to stand of the net too much, which meant she could not take anything on at the net. Robertson wa strong throughout & clearly the best player on the court.

MD&WD

Again like Day 1 nothing stood out in this category today for me......

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Eglestaff = Hughes ;)

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Ah! Even so, I have never seen her play either.......Anyway, she played well, should have won really.....

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Cool, cool..

..i was waiting for this report as i noticed the LL vs. SE match was quite thrilling (probably the most exciting match of the day)..If a player like Susan Eglestaff could force LL to play into rubber games, i wonder what's the reason? Was LL making a lot errors? Or she's not familiar with SE's style of play?..
    Btw, surprised you haven't heard, if much, of Susan Eglestaff (previoulsy Hughes)..

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I have heard of her (as Susan Hughes), but not seen her play. I only really get the chance to watch AE these days.

LL was toothless. Not neccessarily unforced errors (mainly forced), but really just that she looked unfit (bent double after rallies even in the 2nd game), she didn't take on the rallies. Maybe she thought it would be an easy win, but I tihnk moreso it is she isn't willing to take on the rally and control. She was happy to do cut drops stretching behind her, or a clear.

Eglestaff rallied well (which may of course contributed to LL tiredness). And she looked like winning in the third, in fact I was somewhat surprised She didn't. I didn't want to watch her the next day because it was so frustrating.