Ae 2010 Qf Review

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2010' started by jamesd20, Mar 17, 2010.

1. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I have been to the AE again this year & enjoyed it very much this year as I have in the others. Plase bear with me if thi review drags & apologies for the delay, but leaving it later gives me the pleasure of reliving it once more!

DAY 3 QUARTER FINALS

At last I saw the whole days play & it was, on blance better than the previous two.

MS

All the games were outstanding, and deserve long discusion on their own, but I will attempt to be as brief as I can.

Gade Vs Taufik

Both players, although not as good as they once were, played well & continue to be evenly matched. The 1st game was tight all the way, with no more than 2 points separating at any point, Taufik snatched it, & he looked the stronger.

Throughout the whole of the second game Taufik controlled, had a decent lead, but he either tired or tightened upp near the end, Gade only really leading at the end.

In the third taufik again started bright, but Gade played a clever game, not expending much energy, not attacking really at all nd mking taufik work. After the interval in the third Gade made his move, caught back points & took the lead, which I thought at that point would be decisive. To my surprise Taufik took it on again and they matched each other unti lthe end. It is a cruel screline to lose to & they both put on a real quality game, Gade edging it, but he suffered in the SF.

Shon Wan Ho Vs LCW

Thi was a surprise to me. I had not heard of Shon before, but he is a very talented player & fairly typical of KOR MS players. He has awesome footwork, some of the best I saw all week, and he Counter atacked well. The first gam was a case of simply everything oing right for Shon, net shots, drops, smashes everything went for him. From then on (an credit to LCW) although he still played well, LCW played the same, but got his breaks and in truth I never felt he was at risk of losing, especially as Shon used a lot of energy in the 1t & his footwork borke down as he tired, and tha was his main weapon.

CJ Vs Tago

Same old, same old from CJ, he played a waiting game, waited for his opponent to show his cards & reacted to that. He cannot expect to win the big tournaments playing like that. He needs to take the initiative, attack. When he did this, it worked. I think it may be partly hi natural styl & partly his confidence, he gets the oppurtunities, but then puls back - or he attacks in the same place each time then the opponent knows how he will play.

He worked and worked for the irst two games, then ran out of ideas & blew imself out. He needs to change to improve.

LD Vs BCL

This was at the other end of the arena, but I saw patches. Fom what I saw Bao played perfectly, but LD should still be good enough to win. Whether he has lost his motivation I don't know, but LD didnt show his top gear. He still moves well, and plays good shots, but where his strength lies is in counter attacking with unreal speed & power, which he didn't o often enough. I feel motivation is the main problem (not injury).

WS

Lu Lan Vs Tine

Lu Lan, as noted previously is so frustrating. Tine played poorly in the first (although Lu did play well also), but the 2nd and thir it is like she was waiting for the win to come, there seems no drive to take the ictory, bu seemingly she sits backs & waits (in vain) for it to come. Tine can dominate, is not afraid to hit the shots & for that it is refreshing & nice to watch.

Wang Yihan Vs Zhou Mi

Not a very interestin game despite three sets. Zhou "gave" the first to WYH, conserving her energy for the 2nd & 3rd. WYH has the ability to take to 2nd, but didn't, Eventually ZM didn't have the legs.

Saina vs Schenk - Easy game, impressive play by nehwal

I didn't really watch Wang Xin vs JYJ

XD

No great games here but most were ok.

LYD/LHJ v Clark/olver was fairly strightforward, as was Nova/Natsir vs Robertson/Wallwork & I didn't really watch that. I would note I saw a quote rom Robertson saying the bad linecall cost them the game, whilst it was an incorrect call, they were a game and 18-16 down at the time, so to say it cost them the match is a bit far fetched, they were second best throughout.

The best match of the day in XD was HHB/YY vs TJM/ZJW. First time I have seen ZJM, and I was pretty impressed. I expected them to lose, as I think HHB/YY are a very strong pair (and of course the defending champs), but ZJM worked & worked & smashed & smashed, he never caved in (until the very end of the game) and really HHB/YY were always chasing the game. ZJM just exhausted himself.

MD

The first two matches (JR/LP v Tan/Gan & Kido/Setiwan vs Lee/Choong) never got started ad the winners were never in doubt. Neither two was the LYD/JJS match, but I am disappointed in LYD that he doesn't play with more focus. He only concentrates in defence, as soon as he is on the attack he takes the pressure of and lets opponents in. If he wants to be a great & win lots of big tournaments (which he has the ability) then he must finish at the net & attack from the back - in XD & MD

The CY/FHF vs MB/CM match was definitely the best. There is a thread on CY's reacion at the end, where I have commented already. The match however was high quality game. CY/FHF didn't play bad, CY was one of the best players, but CM/MB played very well as a team & kept pressure on al the time.

Depsite there loss, I must congratulate CY/FHF for still being at the top. in 2003 I virtually wrote them off as one hit wonders with a one dimensional game, but 7 years later they still mix it up with the best, have won the big tournaments & only missed out on OG Gold (at least for now).

WD

Maybe I will comment tomorrow........yawn:rolleyes:

#1 jamesd20, Mar 17, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Cool, cool, cool..^^

..oh, no, no, noooo!!!....:(

..but if you just can't stay awake, fair enough. But we'll be waiting for a longer review report for SF and Finals..;):cool:

Btw, the Gade vs. Taufik match was indeed a thriller!! all games w/the same score. I bet you must've been sitting at the edge of your seat in all 3 games, eh?..What do you think about the controversial line call in the 3rd game?..

Shon Wan Ho is pretty new, so, not surprised you don't know him. Not many BCers know much abt him anyway..

Were you surprised with BCL's win over LD??..

#2 ctjcad, Mar 17, 2010
  3. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

thanks for the great report, james. you do mean ZYM, don't you? the one with a ponytail!

4. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    In the 2nd and 3rd game, Taufik got a good lead, then went to sleep, and didn't wake up in time after Gade had caught up. I was shaking my head in disbelief after he did the same thing after the 2nd.

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I failed you on the SF WD, I promise the final one will include a bit more!

Gade/Taufik. I missed it in the point, but saw the replay. It is interesting the line calls have ben high profile this year, they are normally OK & not too controversial.

What do you know about Shon? He as Amazing Balane & footwork, very similar player in fact to Lee Hyun Il, except a bit more attacking & less control over the game, as I said the first game everything worked for him. He is defintely one to watch, especially with not many stars on the horizon.

BCL surprise - not if you watched the game. LD didnt find his top gear. I fear this may be the beginning of the end for LD....after all after winning numerous WC, & an OG, I think it unlikely he will be in London 2012, so the only thing he had to keep going was his 6 consecutive AE finals & now that has gone, what next? He has a beatiful wife at home! & XXZ is not as inspirational coach as TXH I guess - What possible motivation can he have left??

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I think not, I felt he played in burst, then got a breather, then came back. In the third Gade tok it easy in the first half, then upped the pace in the third when Taufik was still struggling, in the end though 22-20 in each game is anyones game

I mean Tao Jiaming sorry TJM not ZJM...not sure about the pony tail :confused:I must have missed that!!

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Wow..seriously??..

..all i'm gonna say is: Don't tell that to cooler and OTB (OneToughBirdie)!!..I think the former might be fine with him not winning another OG. But the latter, i'm afraid will be disappointed to hear that (yes, he still believes LD will be there to defend his OG)...:p

8. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

I might as well chip in for these two matches(before I forget) as they were just playing right before me. I think I might have a clearer view of what's happening there.

LD Vs BCL

I was thinking to myself that no one in the right mind would bet on BCL. But, boy was I wrong. LD did not play badly but BCL just played superbly. BCL was on top form that day as I have never seen BCL playing that fast before(much faster than when he was playing against Tago) and execute his shot with high accuracy. I was really amazed by how fast he moves to the rear court and to the net. Most of the rallies, BCL controlled the net as he was got to the net faster than LD. This forced LD to lift from the net and the lanky BCL just moved back and thundered down his smash. Most of the cross court smashes(to LD's forehand) were so beautifully done(right on the line) that even LD looked at them as disbelief. BCL took the first as he racked a lot of points through his smashes and he anticipated LD's shots exceptionally well(he looked as if he knows where LD was going to place the shuttles). LD's was all over the place, busy diving to save BCL's smashes and drop shots but in vain. BCL got a little nervous in the end of first set and let LD chased a few points but finished it without big problem.

Second set, LD up his pace and was leading all the time. BCL has good defense but he allowed LD to attack a little too much. Not sure whether is nerve, LD's attacks started to penetrate BCL's defense(CL's defense was almost flawless in first set). However, good court awareness and steep smashes from BCL keep the score close. LD finished the 2nd set without much surprise.

Third set, LD was leading till the interval as errors starts to creep into BCL's game. BCL was playing at a very fast pace but lost his pin-point accurate smashes in 3d set. After the interval, perhaps due to the over-confidence, LD's seems to drop his pace a little. This allow BCL to do more trick shots and this was the first time I saw LD got send to the wrong directions so many times in a set. A lot of time LD got deceive and have to play high clear(shuttle went over him) as he was out of balance getting push to the rear court. This allows BCL to exploit his own height to clip the shuttle down. Not even the multiple mighty Dan's dives manage to get LD out of trouble as BCL was playing a surprisingly calm game(credit to him) as he was always anticipating LD's shots and send the shuttles to place that makes LD's struggle. Eventually, LD's seems got lost at the end of third set and have no answer to BCL's deceptive game. With huge effort(maintaining high pace and clever placement of shuttles), BCL bagged the third game.

P/S: I don't think LD's has not find his gears on that match. LD was giving his best on that days as he were throwing himself every where in the court to save the shuttle but CL's shuttle placement was just too good for him that day. And BCL outmaneuvered LD to the extent that Ld was on wrong footing a few times and could not attack BCL's shots(as he was out of balance as mentioned above). BCL's form was unbelievable good that day and his speed to the net was amazingly fast(surprisingly he lost his speed in semi final against Tago).

MD
    JJS/LYD vs GZD XC

Credit to GZD & XC, they play a high pace game right from the start. Smashing none stop whenever they got the chance and have an incredible defence. Both my friends have our jaws drop when both of us saw LYD and JJS's smashes keep coming back. GZD and XC's defence was simply amazing that day and they attack like there's no tomorrow when LYD and JJS lift the shuttles. In the first set, LYD and JJS still manage to keep the score close as they still have the energy and confidence to control the game & have a good defense to block GZD and XC's furious attacks. At the end of the first set, a few defense errors from LYD and JJS cost them the game.

In the 2nd game, there's no sign of tiredness from GZD and XC. They still go all out in their attacks. GZD's defence was as remarkable as in what he did in first set. GZD even manage to save a few shots that we thought were winners from LYD/JJS. After a short while, the spirit of JJS/LYD seem broken as errors start to creep in to their game and they seem like they have ran out of ideas how to play against GZD and XC. All JJS/LYD did in the end of 2nd set were just defending while GZD and XC attack those poor lads like there's no tomorrow. It did not take to long until GZD and XC grab the 2nd set.

LWW/CTF vs MK/HS

It's a mismatch and it's painful to watch LWW/CTF play this way. All of my friends agree that CTF and LWW need a diet, and they just made so much unforced errors and it was not even funny. I am not sure if LWW/CTF took this seriously but it's obvious that they were not committed to throw themselves around the court and they were always slow in reaching the shuttle. In the end MK/HS has such a lead that they didn't even bother to play seriously(rallier with high clears+drop shots only) and the game ended pretty quickly without a doubt that who were going to be winners.

#8 lcleing, Mar 17, 2010
  9. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Ah so LD was all over the place diving - His footwork was breaking down!:rolleyes:

I did say Bao played perfectly, And if bao & Lin play perfectly Lin will win, he ust didn't how his top gear IMHO.

I agree with the CTF/LWW match. They were slow, cumbersome & unable to finish points. A total mismatch. They put on a lot of weight since last year too!

10. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    As a baddy fan (I am not a fan of any player, actually what does the word fan means, 'fanatic'?). I want to see the best players play. I happen to believe both LD and LCW are the best players currently. If I am to fly and pay to see a match, I want to see them play, in a major would be great.
    Also, I happen to think LD is still the player to beat and until LCW beat him (unfortunately this AE10 missed out), I will wait and see.
    As Jamesd20 said, LD will not be in OLY, this is an easy bet, much better assurance and way less risk than some stock I buy, LD will be there, now how he perform again..well, this AE10 teached us the importance of the draw, as I had said before AE10 draw came out. Now, LD is MARRIED, Rudy where are you to confirm this?:D:p
    I don't think it is LD losing what gear, it was he not game fit. BCL was on top form facing LD and still needs 3 games to beat LD, what if LD returns to his old form? I would not rush to say Lin Dan is Lin Done yet.;)

11. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I do not say he doesn't have the extra gear, or that he is done.

I simply quesion his motivation to continue to be at the top & play in his top gear.

I don't believe physically he has deteriated and he is not the player he was.

12. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I shouldn't of course be hasty in predicting his demie however either I only see him once a year o comment on what I see, sure BCL play "perfect" (as I put it), but a Top LD still beats a Top BCL.

He may go and win the next 5 tournaments to show he still wants it, if he does I admire him even more than now, I like someone who wants to win over a long period of time.

13. DanielX

DanielX Regular Member

LD is still LD. Physically he is in top form. People forget that he is still in the early years of his prime at 26. Problem is, he won everything already. I can't recall any athlete in any sport who has achieved so much at 25 (WC09 title before his 26th bday). Not Federer. Not Kobe. Not Tiger.

Another issue is that LD is a patriotic lad and he never gets pumped playing his countrymen. I am surprised no one mentioned this yet. One of his main driving forces of winning is for his home and country - China - and playing his compatriots doesn't exactly motivate him to play his best. No one can argue that his best matches have been against foreign players where one can see he's clearly more animated and motivated.

#13 DanielX, Mar 17, 2010
  14. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    That is a good point, DanielX.

15. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    You are right,,that explained how LD lost to CJ in AE 08

16. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    OTB...Dont look for me for that info...:p
    I am not an China expert..we have few members here can help you confirm that....:eek::p
    You should ask JamesD about that info...

17. kish-mah-ash

kish-mah-ash Regular Member

bro,
    what do you mean by you don't recall athlete in any sport who ahs achieved so much at 25?what do you mean?last check, dat federer chap won several grand slams before he was 25, dat kobe chap won 3 titles with that shaq-fool before 25 and tiger "cheatin'" woods won the masters, u.s. open and pga chanmpionships before he was 25.

as for dat lindan chap,i think he is at his peak career now. but is probabklhy on his way down from Mount Qomolangma.

18. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Jamesd29,...goood one, i enjoyed reading it.......how about Semi Finals and Finals ?.....please continue !

19. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    The review for SF and Final are in the thread already..just open your eyes a bit wider...:D:D

Jamesd20...he likes to be known as 20 not 29 yet...lol

20. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Thanks, Hau-ge.........its jamesd20...........sorry !