User Tag List

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: BAM news

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

During the announcement of ING's sponsorship, there was a video of BAM President giving speech, saying got new sponsor is good,etc,etc. He knew about it, how much of the details I not sure, since he was unwell. They had BAM Committee meeting in the President's house.

In these sort of situations, it's not uncommon that the President appoint someone else to handle the discussions.
    In between the discussions, somehow rather it seems that it was not fully resolved(in writing) about the logo at front of player's shirt issue.

Then the President being also Proton CEO/Chairman, have to take care of Proton's interest in BAM. That's why I'm not surprised no foreign company is badminton main/one of main sponsor, there should have been interested parties since badminton is one of the more successful Msia sports

BAM has been cash strapped, they really needed additional sponsors but it does seem that they were too kan cheong abt new sponsor, went ahead too fast with the logo thing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thursday April 22, 2010

Close encounter Shabery happy with shuttlers’ preparations for Finals

By LIM TEIK HUAT

KUALA LUMPUR: Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Ahmad Shabery Cheek and his entourage came prepared with their racquets and attire when they made a surprise visit to the national badminton training centre at the Juara Stadium in Bukit Kiara here yesterday.

After greeting the players and coaches, Sha*bery went on to play a few games with his staff and his deputy, Datuk Razali Ibrahim, before leaving to attend the Parliamentary meeting.

But it was not all fun for Shabery as he wanted to see up close the ongoing preparations of the Thomas and Uber Cup trainees.

After a lapse of 10 years, Malaysia are again hosting the Finals at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil from May 9-16.

Shabery later expressed his satisfaction with the state of the preparation of the teams.

“I did not announce my visit to them but from what I have seen, I’m confident we have a team with the ability to regain the Thomas Cup,” he said. “We are playing on home ground and it should be used as a motivating factor for them. I just hope Malaysians will show support for the team.”

Certain quarters have brought up the matter of a lack of promotional activities, especially when the Finals are less than a month away.

On whether the Badminton Association of Ma**laysia (BAM) are doing enough to promote the biennial world team championships for both men and women, Shabery said that the ministry were ready to help in any way possible.

“I’m sure the public will be aware of the Finals as the dates get nearer,” he said.
    “We are asking the players to fight for the country and it’s not an easy life they go through. They have to be disciplined and wake up early for training. Therefore, the least we can do is to show our appreciation by buying tickets to watch them.”

The public can get a peek of the shuttlers selected for the Finals when they play simulation matches after their return from the motivational and team-building camp in Port Dickson next week.
    Doubles chief coach Rexy Mainaky said that the shuttlers and coaches would be in Port Dickson for three days from tomorrow.

“We are still looking at a suitable venue for the simulation matches where the public can watch the games,” he said.

“We hope to create the environment to get them in the mood before we switch training to the actual venue early next month.”

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Time for BAM to get a general secretary

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/N...cle/index_html

want to consider prof.p or prof.j???

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nadzmi: I was forced to act

I was away in Germany and the unfolding events forced me to do it (sack Ganga Rao). We didn't want to interrupt preparations for the Thomas Cup and Uber Cup Finals.

"I had to sack people and I didn't have a choice but to terminate Ganga's position as secretary," said Nadzmi upon his arrival at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) yesterday.

"I am responsible for what has happened and I had to act fast. Appointments of the secretary, assistant secretary and treasurer is the prerogative of the president.

"When I first appointed him, Ganga was a junior executive with BAM and I didn't give any reason for selecting him, so similarly, I think I will reserve my right not to reveal any reason behind his termination."

Nadzmi puts interests of Thomas-Uber Cup players first

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.a...562&sec=sports

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what little information that is available it looks like the sponsorship deal with ING was approved by the BAM council, in which Proton's and ING's place in the sun was properly spelled out. But then a spanner was thrown in that took the BAM by surprise-the involvement of a 3rd party. Since this 3rd party was never part of the deal and blind-sided the council, the deal was as good as dead.
    It is my opinion that BAM may not need a full-time secretary, as an honorary one will do. The reason is that unlike other sports associations, BAM has a full-time manager, called the General Manager. General managers are full-time professionals that run the business, not secretaries.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nonetheless, Nadzmi shouldn't belittle Ganga Rao. Ganga may not have not followed or have at least overlooked certain processes in the ING appointment, but for Nadzmi to call Ganga a junior exec before his appointment smacks of some kind of tiff between them. Ganga was working with BAM and BWF long before Nadzmi came on board.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More from malay language press, pls use google translator :
    http://www.bharian.com.my/bharian/ar...autama/Article

http://www.hmetro.com.my/myMetro/art...Nadzmi/Article

Basically Proton is back is title/main sponsor. Discussions on ING sponsorship after TC/Uber, whether ING still sponsoring not confirmed. As I said bf, dont think Proton would let go being main sponsor(not surprising), unless new sponsor offers double or triple the amount.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abedeng View Post
    Nonetheless, Nadzmi shouldn't belittle Ganga Rao. Ganga may not have not followed or have at least overlooked certain processes in the ING appointment, but for Nadzmi to call Ganga a junior exec before his appointment smacks of some kind of tiff between them. Ganga was working with BAM and BWF long before Nadzmi came on board.
    I think you are not familiar with how large corporations work and BAM can be considered a corporation.
    Everyone in BAM who is not in the Executive council are junior officers or executives. The roles of the secretary, his assistant, and the treasurer are simply to be at the beck and call of the president. They are like his personal attendents. This is spelled out in the constitution-the president has the sole power to hire and fire these 3 positions without even telling anyone! When your position is no more than to be the president's doormat consider yourself lucky to even rub shoulders with executive councillors.
    Maybe Ganga should have become a full-time executive like another general manager. A corporation can have multiple general managers.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    I think you are not familiar with how large corporations work and BAM can be considered a corporation.
    Everyone in BAM who is not in the Executive council are junior officers or executives. The roles of the secretary, his assistant, and the treasurer are simply to be at the beck and call of the president. They are like his personal attendents. This is spelled out in the constitution-the president has the sole power to hire and fire these 3 positions without even telling anyone! When your position is no more than to be the president's doormat consider yourself lucky to even rub shoulders with executive councillors.
    Maybe Ganga should have become a full-time executive like another general manager. A corporation can have multiple general managers.
    I am familiar with BAM for a very long time, and personally knew the BAM President that won Malaysia its last Thomas Cup when he was in office.

But I am not talking so much about the interpretation of junior officers or executives, but the tone at which Nadzmi is using to say that he can pretty much hire and fire Ganga without giving reasons, whether or not it is within his constitutional rights. Even constitutional rights can be challenged in court if there is evidence of foul play.

Nadzmi must still look upon Ganga as someone who had significant mileage in BAM and BWF. That had to be respected. Never mind if he was only a so-called junior officer.

Thus when making statements to the press, Nadzmi shouldn't be showing the superior tone because it would just make people draw the conclusion that Ganga is made as a scapegoat and Nadzmi is hiding something to protect the rest of the BAM including Nadzmi himself. Surely it's not rocket science to find a good enough explanation for the removal of Ganga in a more amicable tone.
    Last edited by abedeng; 04-23-2010 at 10:25 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abedeng View Post
    I am familiar with BAM for a very long time, and personally knew the BAM President that won Malaysia its last Thomas Cup when he was in office.

But I am not talking so much about the interpretation of junior officers or executives, but the tone at which Nadzmi is using to say that he can pretty much hire and fire Ganga without giving reasons, whether or not it is within his constitutional rights. Even constitutional rights can be challenged in court if there is evidence of foul play.

Nadzmi must still look upon Ganga as someone who had significant mileage in BAM and BWF. That had to be respected. Never mind if he was only a so-called junior officer.

Thus when making statements to the press, Nadzmi shouldn't be showing the superior tone because it would just make people draw the conclusion that Ganga is made as a scapegoat and Nadzmi is hiding something to protect the rest of the BAM including Nadzmi himself. Surely it's not rocket science to find a good enough explanation for the removal of Ganga in a more amicable tone.
    I thought it was the other way and that he was simply being ethical by using the rod or cane-clean and simple. Sometimes this type of strategy is to defuse some other more potentially serious misdeed by someone he wants to protect to avoid or even preempt a messy public scandal. I am of the opinion that none of the executive council members knew or was in any way responsible for getting a 3rd party involved. So I don't think he was protecting the people you are referring to. If Ganga feels that he is used as a scapegoat then he is indeed very lucky because he can always sue for damages.
    The BAM president is a pretty young fellow for a large corporation president and he has some impressive credentials by being among a select group of 3 businessmen representing Malaysia in the G20 group meeting. I would certainly feel confident about the steps he has taken in this case.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    I was away in Germany and the unfolding events forced me to do it (sack Ganga Rao). We didn't want to interrupt preparations for the Thomas Cup and Uber Cup Finals.

"I had to sack people and I didn't have a choice but to terminate Ganga's position as secretary," said Nadzmi upon his arrival at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) yesterday.

"I am responsible for what has happened and I had to act fast. Appointments of the secretary, assistant secretary and treasurer is the prerogative of the president.

"When I first appointed him, Ganga was a junior executive with BAM and I didn't give any reason for selecting him, so similarly, I think I will reserve my right not to reveal any reason behind his termination."

Nadzmi puts interests of Thomas-Uber Cup players first

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.a...562&sec=sports
    what a funny statement (bolded part) to make!! LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My if BAM is run meticulously like a corporation with emphasis on procedure and
    red tape, it might be difficult to cope with change.
    Maybe that's why countries like maybe Denmark can instill change faster being lean
    and mean, instead of being dominated and ruled by bureaucrats.
    Still Msia badminton is faring well in spite of all that red tape, with world no 1 in
    MS,MD , at some time WD and inroads in MXD.
    Would BAM be more successful being run strictly as a corporation by bureaucrats like
    the dinosaur Japanese corporations or by being lean like Microsoft? Certain
    corporations are only successful in Msia because they enjoy the protection of the
    government, left to their own devices, they would fail to exist.
    At a certain point corporations which fail to deliver can do better by allowing more
    autonomy and a flatter structure for example, maybe the time will come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought it was the other way and that he was simply being ethical by using the rod or cane-clean and simple. Sometimes this type of strategy is to defuse some other more potentially serious misdeed by someone he wants to protect to avoid or even preempt a messy public scandal. I am of the opinion that none of the executive council members knew or was in any way responsible for getting a 3rd party involved. So I don't think he was protecting the people you are referring to. If Ganga feels that he is used as a scapegoat then he is indeed very lucky because he can always sue for damages.
    The BAM president is a pretty young fellow for a large corporation president and he has some impressive credentials by being among a select group of 3 businessmen representing Malaysia in the G20 group meeting. I would certainly feel confident about the steps he has taken in this case.
    taneepak is online now Reply With Quote

Wow, interesting deduction.
    The BAM president is the chairman of a government linked company.He is also the President of the BAM. Common interests and synergy,both polishing each other.!
    Suddenly someone brings in a foreign sponsor to displace the GLC, depriving it of its agenda to link the sport to the GLC and national strategic interests.
    Now who do you think is actually doing more to promote badminton?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    what a funny statement (bolded part) to make!! LOL
    Yup. It was a funny joke, isn't it?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bbn View Post
    taneepak is online now Reply With Quote

Wow, interesting deduction.
    The BAM president is the chairman of a government linked company.He is also the President of the BAM. Common interests and synergy,both polishing each other.!
    Suddenly someone brings in a foreign sponsor to displace the GLC, depriving it of its agenda to link the sport to the GLC and national strategic interests.
    Now who do you think is actually doing more to promote badminton?
    Perhaps you should read that bit about the door still being open to ING as a sponsor provided it deals directly with the BAM and not through a 3rd party. Involvement of a 3rd party through the back door unknown to the president looks suspicious.
    I think the BAM did approve ING as a direct sponsor, not through a 3rd party. In fact BAM did say the more sponsors the better. It was the 3rd party spanner that wrecked the ING deal.
    In my opinion I think BAM should create a sponsors/development body to bring in future streams of big bucks to go hand in hand with the sports' development like making the game where everyone can and will play, just like the way they do it in Denmark. What is lacking in Malaysia is the absence of any badminton league for the elites and non-elites, for all ages from 7, 9, 12, 16, 19, adults, to senior citizens all through the whole year.
    Once you reach the stage where everyone plays the game, the old, the elites, the parenst will ensure there will be a constant supply of future champions.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps the following may explain why the BAM president was reluctant to give the real reasons for sacking the secretary:

The president says neither he, his fellow executive members nor ING knew anything about a 3rd party being involved. Even ING questioned why their sponsorship deal has to go through a 3rd party (A Singapore company) instead of a direct deal with BAM; BAM was also asking the same question on why ING could not deal directly with them.
    The chap responsible was caught with his pants down. Now that 3rd party gets nothing from what would have been some easy money?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    Perhaps the following may explain why the BAM president was reluctant to give the real reasons for sacking the secretary:

The president says neither he, his fellow executive members nor ING knew anything about a 3rd party being involved. Even ING questioned why their sponsorship deal has to go through a 3rd party (A Singapore company) instead of a direct deal with BAM; BAM was also asking the same question on why ING could not deal directly with them.
    The chap responsible was caught with his pants down. Now that 3rd party gets nothing from what would have been some easy money?
    Are we talking facts or merely speculating.Someone is hurling accusations at someone, in Msia it would be followed with a lawsuit.What is the source?
    Papparazzi in HK?
    I would not speculate until I am in the know or involved with the people.

It is laughable that people could make money out of sponsorship deals.Sponsorship is giving away money in return for intangibles,in badminton one has to beg sponsors to part with their money.
    To me, looking at the big picture I am very suspicious when someone who devoted his life to Msia badminto could be disposed off because of some procedure.Dont you think it is a bit harsh and there is a bigger agenda.

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast