Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Europe - 1*England, Denmark, France
    Asia - China, Korea, 2*Japan
    South East Asia - Malaysia, Idonesia, 3*Singapore

IMO, the 4th Premier SS and the 10th SS should be given to USA. I know it might not be ready now but I can foresee the potential in terms of sponsorship in the future. Just my 2cent.

So, we have 4 "Grand Slams" in 4 neutral places.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krisna View Post
    Correction: the objective of the Premier Super Series [a.k.a. Grand Slam] is to create even more excitement for badminton worldwide... not to get the top players to play as many tournaments as possible.

I also do hope India get the SS. Eliminate China Masters!

Oh, I heard BWF is giving priorities to the so called markets with high commercial value potential for badminton... At last, they understand business and strategy!
    +1 with the statement and I agree that China Master should eliminate from SS.

IMO, they should host the SS bi-annually between Hong kong, Swiss, India, and USA (possibly France and Singapore too) to get the most exposure.

I think North American should be included somehow to further promote the sport.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Biannually or..

Quote Originally Posted by Wong8Egg View Post
    IMO, they should host the SS bi-annually between Hong kong, Swiss, India, and USA (possibly France and Singapore too) to get the most exposure.
    ..you meant biennially (every 2 yrs)??..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..you meant biennially (every 2 yrs)??..
    Yes, thanks for the correction.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The heat of getting of SS elite is ON.
    korea officially upped the prize money to US$ 500K..then we heard the rumour that Russia has submited US$ 500K as well...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wong8Egg View Post
    +1 with the statement and I agree that China Master should eliminate from SS.

I think North American should be included somehow to further promote the sport.
    I agree..so far, we will not have North American SS yet.....

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by huangkwokhau View Post
    korea officially upped the prize money to US$ 500K..then we heard the rumour that Russia has submited US$ 500K as well...
    Nice, high enthusiasm from those countries to become Premiere SS host

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Korea's Yonhap News Agency reported today that the Badminton Korea Association (BKA) had submitted their application for the Korea Open to be named by the BWF as one of the three or four Premier Super Series tournaments. The Premier SS is to have a minimum prize money of US$350,000 per event and the application deadline was May 7th.

The BKA reportedly stressed the fact that the Korea Open has traditionally offered the largest prize purse on the circuit but said that it had also said it intended to far exceed the Premier SS minimum and instead to boost the prize money to a whopping US$1.2 million!

The decision on the Premier Super Series will be made by May 21st at the BWF Council meeting in Kuala Lumpur."

Source Badzine...

Looks like Korea takes advantage in the race for SuperSeries Premier.
    Last edited by Thom_bad; 05-11-2010 at 05:16 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May 18, 2010

Ami Afriatni

New Premier Series to Raise Game’s Profile Through Bigger Prizes

With mainstream recognition having eluded their sport thus far, badminton officials hope raising the financial stakes will do the trick.

The Badminton World Federation plans to launch the Premier Super Series next year, a string of four tournaments it hopes will boost global interest in the sport.

While all the details have yet to be finalized, one is for certain — the amount of prize money on offer will grow.

The current 12-leg Super Series and season-ending Masters Finals offer a minimum purse of $200,000, with the Korea Open awarding $300,000 in prizes.

Premier Super Series tournaments will have a minimum purse of $350,000, and BWF deputy president Paisan Rangsikitipho hopes that added incentive will draw the world’s best shuttlers.

“We needed something to make badminton better,” Paisan told the Jakarta Globe. “We circulated to members the idea of a Premier Series, and they liked it.”

In addition to more prize money, the BWF wants organizers to secure better television coverage and make sure all the top players take part in every tournament.

Eight countries, including Indonesia, have expressed interest in hosting Premier Super Series tournaments. The BWF council will award hosting rights on May 27.

“We will also come up with a regulation that will require all the best shuttlers to play in the Premier Series,” Paisan said, alluding to the problems plaguing the current Super Series, wherein shuttlers can opt not to play.

Previous top-flight tournaments have been hit by withdrawals, including the entire Chinese national team missing tournaments in favor of domestic competitions or training camps.

Mimi Irawan, the Indonesian Badminton Association’s head of tournament affairs, said the country was ready to act as a host for the new series if chosen.

“The Indonesia Premier will offer a total cash prize of $500,000,” Mimi said, adding that tobacco company PT Djarum, which has supported the Indonesia Open Super Series since 2004, would be the new main sponsor.

“I think we’ve done a good job hosting the Super Series. Tickets for the tournament have always sold out, so I’m confident we’ll win the right to host one of the Premier Series events.”

*source : the Jakarta Globe.com -- http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/badmi...-prizes/375697

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May I know when is the actual date for sudirman cup for 2011..... And where will it ?

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's good news for badminton to have bigger prizes. There is more icentive for natinal teams to send their players to the tournaments.

So I am confused here - we have 9 SS and 8 are Premier SS.

not sure what the criteria for selection of a tournament to SS is.

Presumably, it's not just money. What if a tournament can put up 500,000USD and 5 events for an open tournament. Does that automatically give it SS status?

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If anything, this latest news shows us, that the previous news report may have old information. The situation has changed.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    If anything, this latest news shows us, that the previous news report may have old information. The situation has changed.
    Basically in 2011, we may have 8 SS and 4 SS primier
    Morelikely INDIA will be promoted to SS
    So many rules to be part of SS Premier..so far KOR with Samsung or lG had bid US$ 1.2 Million.
    China may follow closely to that number ( will below US$ 1 mil unless things change in last few days)
    INA, ENG,FRANCE,SWISS, MAS also bid for the rest of 2...
    We will know by this friday who will be awarded SS premier.

Basically top nations will have to send their best shuttlers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

russia? surprise surprise...badminton is getting big over there isn't it?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by **KZ** View Post
    russia? surprise surprise...badminton is getting big over there isn't it?
    But Russia may not get it after all since they are not qualified for SS..things may change in last few days..too many things are going on now in KL...

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

But Russia may not get it after all since they are not qualified for SS..things may change in last few days..too many things are going on now in KL...
    Why not? If they put the prize money up then that is a big factor for upgrading a tournament.

Just to clarify, is it 8 SS and 4 of these will be Premier SS (i.e. total 8) or will it be total 12?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Why not? If they put the prize money up then that is a big factor for upgrading a tournament.

Just to clarify, is it 8 SS and 4 of these will be Premier SS (i.e. total 8) or will it be total 12?
    I do not know what criteria but so far Russia is not qualify..
    Total will be 12 ( 4 SS premier and 8 SS)
    Been told that England, KOR, China, Japan, INA and MAS are vying for 4 SS premier..

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast