User Tag List

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great news, can't wait to see Lin Dan holding the 90,000U$D prize.....That would be great........When are we possibly going to see a Badminton champion holding a prize of 1,000,000$$$

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krisna View Post
    I heard that in the BWF meeting there were some unhappiness about China getting:
    1. China Open Premier SS
    2. China Masters SS
    3. Hong Kong Open SS (HK is technically within Chinese territory)

I am happy India got the SS! Great move by the BWF there... In the future, maybe the Premier SS should be there instead of Korea. If some people think Korea is rich... wait until the Indian corporations have the appetite for sponsoring badminton...

As for INA getting the Premier SS.... well I'm happy MAS did not bid higher...
    Krisna,

How do rate S'pore and and HK if we look at them of how a tournament is run? Do you think they are poorly organised? Are they poorly attended by the top players? Are there any complaints by the players themselves? Basically, are the tournaments poorly run (bad umpiring/line calls) or not popular enough to mean they should be downgraded?

In fact, I wonder why China cannot combine the Masters and the Open prize money to give an even richer prize. Then again, it may be a sponsorship clash.

HK, well, technically part of China Then again, from a sports point a view (and badminton is a sport), HK has separate teams from China, even in the Olympics.
    Last edited by Cheung; 05-23-2010 at 09:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Krisna,

How do rate S'pore and and HK if we look at them of how a tournament is run? Do you think they are poorly organised? Are they poorly attended by the top players? Are there any complaints by the players themselves? Basically, are the tournaments poorly run (bad umpiring/line calls) or not popular enough to mean they should be downgraded?

In fact, I wonder why China cannot combine the Masters and the Open prize money to give an even richer prize. Then again, it may be a sponsorship clash.

HK, well, technically part of China Then again, from a sports point a view (and badminton is a sport), HK has separate teams from China, even in the Olympics.
    Again, the intention of BWF when they initiated this Premier Series is not to merely compare the ability of tournament organization. BWF wants badminton to grow worldwide... Soooo, even though Singapore and HK Open are well organized, these 2 cities are limited [I did not say they contribute nothing] in its ability to help grow badminton worldwide...
    not in terms of increasing more badminton fan excitement...
    not in terms of increasing badminton business...
    not in terms of improving the level of play...

Yes, HK compete with a different team than China [for the next few decades until it is fully integrated], but...... if any other country dare to send its army to attack Hong Kong, guess who will agressively defend 'its territorial integrity': the People's Republic of China. Case closed. It is a city in China. Period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-maker View Post
    i doubt he will come,cos he even snubbed the SSMF... unless ....
    well, worth a try. Sometime, time (hopefully money too) could heal wounds..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, money could....and probably the other reason is that LD will have to apply for another additional 'Passport' now... ( from XXF ......... )

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard that in the BWF meeting there were some unhappiness about China getting:
    1. China Open Premier SS
    2. China Masters SS
    3. Hong Kong Open SS (HK is technically within Chinese territory)

I am happy India got the SS! Great move by the BWF there... In the future, maybe the Premier SS should be there instead of Korea. If some people think Korea is rich... wait until the Indian corporations have the appetite for sponsoring badminton...
    ..besides those unhappiness and other than India finally getting a SS event, i guess you're not really satisfied as your wish of seeing other potential baddy markets (e.g. Aussie, the Americas) hasn't been addressed whilst they still retain 3 big events in China...or maybe not yet??..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

French open still SS.... That's great

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pBmMalaysia View Post
    mas is now with ing? from proton to ing to proton now to ing?
    And now back to proton again.........Malaysia Boleh..!! hehehe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thom_bad View Post
    French open still SS.... That's great
    Yes, but sad to see Swiss Open being left out.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..besides those unhappiness and other than India finally getting a SS event, i guess you're not really satisfied as your wish of seeing other potential baddy markets (e.g. Aussie, the Americas) hasn't been addressed whilst they still retain 3 big events in China...or maybe not yet??..
    Next time around, fire China Masters, HK Open, and Singapore Open from the SS! Make way for Russia Open SS, USA Open SS, and Australia Open SS! =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jasonmarc View Post
    Yes, but sad to see Swiss Open being left out.....
    I wonder : was there a FO vs SO match for the ss spot ??

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Again, the intention of BWF when they initiated this Premier Series is not to merely compare the ability of tournament organization. BWF wants badminton to grow worldwide... Soooo, even though Singapore and HK Open are well organized, these 2 cities are limited [I did not say they contribute nothing] in its ability to help grow badminton worldwide...
    not in terms of increasing more badminton fan excitement...
    not in terms of increasing badminton business...
    not in terms of improving the level of play...

Yes, HK compete with a different team than China [for the next few decades until it is fully integrated], but...... if any other country dare to send its army to attack Hong Kong, guess who will agressively defend 'its territorial integrity': the People's Republic of China. Case closed. It is a city in China. Period.
    Here's a case study taken from a very popular HK event (popular as in worldwide). Perhaps this is an example we can move to?

In you are wondering, this is the sport and event:

Last edited by Cheung; 05-24-2010 at 09:51 PM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    I think there is the wish, but can the level of sponsorship be maintained for the three years? And it's not BWF's role to lobby for sponsors in each individual country. That should be the role of the respective country's badminton association. What do you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next time around, fire China Masters, HK Open, and Singapore Open from the SS! Make way for Russia Open SS, USA Open SS, and Australia Open SS! =)
    And replace filled arenas with empty ones???

To give a country SS status does not make badminton popular in that country.

But anyway, you are looking at it from the wrong side. First, badminton needs to be somewhat popular in that country. Only then will the sponsors be more willing to fork up more cash for the prize money. And only then can it qualify to be a SS or Premier event. A certain amount of prize money is BWF's requirement for SS and Premier. Now, will sponsors be willing to fork out USD 200,000 for the US Open when the interest is lukewarm?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hcyong View Post
    And replace filled arenas with empty ones???

To give a country SS status does not make badminton popular in that country.

But anyway, you are looking at it from the wrong side. First, badminton needs to be somewhat popular in that country. Only then will the sponsors be more willing to fork up more cash for the prize money. And only then can it qualify to be a SS or Premier event. A certain amount of prize money is BWF's requirement for SS and Premier. Now, will sponsors be willing to fork out USD 200,000 for the US Open when the interest is lukewarm?
    Swiss got dropped as it is empty...not enugh spectators...badminton in russia is getting popular...i believe that in 2014, Russia will qualify as they have a major sponsotship this year but facilities are not qualified yet.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been told that India wanted to host Premier also but since they have not hosted any SS..they have to host super series before going to Premier,..so in 2014, India may bid to host Premier and the prize money for 2011 ( super series) will be US$ 500K, higher than CHN, AE or DEnmark's premier SS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default That's why it's called a "wish"!!..

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    I think there is the wish, but can the level of sponsorship be maintained for the three years? And it's not BWF's role to lobby for sponsors in each individual country. That should be the role of the respective country's badminton association. What do you think?
    ..my opinion is: of course, for a prize-money-based tourney, it's the role and responsibility of the local host/organizer/national body to provide the sponsorship. Also, i've noticed in most of the SS tourneys, the main sponsor(s) tend to come from a product based entity (Djarum, Yonex, Li-Ning); except Aviva (insurance co.)..
    I'm not sure abt Russia or Aussie, but in the U.S., i think there are enough entities who can sponsor a SS level event. Just take a peek at the recently concluded BABCA involving all the top Silicon Valley companies. I'm sure those companies could team up and put together a $250k prize money sponsorship. The 1 million dollar question however is, from who?..
    ..but that's Krisna's wish...

my own wish is a bit different...and it involves BWF's role:
    Rather than hoping to get a SS/Premier SS or prize money based type tourney in the U.S., or Russia or Aussie, BWF could invest and sponsor a non-prize money events (e.g. T&UC, WC, SC or even the WJC) in nations or countries which don't have the full interest but just have enough interest in baddy. Those countries can host one of those events every 3 yrs or so..
    What BWF could do is use its money from the savings (i know they don't have much, but i'm sure they get some) and offer to sponsor to host those non-prize-money based events. Let the countries bid to host it and BWF could select which country is able. Countries like U.S. or Canada, which has enough baddy interest could definitely host it, as seen from the 2005 WC in Anaheim (i'm sensing OTB is gonna come in & chime in again on his experience)..

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast