MP 88 Opinions a few months on

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Pecheur, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

It appears I can get an MP 88 AS quite cheap ($220 AUD ($130ish USD)) in a spec I quite like (4U G4), however the problem is, there's very few positive reports on the racquets. There have been a few broken ones (modious and Jax especially), most people complain about a lack of power, but very few detailed reports.

I had a hit with one last night, and I'm not sure about the lack of power gen. It was strung at 21 lbs, and in the sweetspot it seemed to have plenty of power. Off the sweet spot not so good but you shouldn't be hitting it there anyway ;P

Have any more been broken? I shuddered at modious' pics, look exactly the same as one of my Ti SPs and I want the 4U version. Admittedy it'll be AS spec so I can warranty it if it breaks due to bad stringing, but there are a few racquet clashes in the club I play at.

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Generally, all 4U rackets are relatively easy to be broken, due to its "thin" frame. However, u can't expect it holds up the same strength as 2U, if u prefer its light weight.

For the power issue, I think it's really depends on ppl's own preference. For hard hitter, MP88 may not be a good choice, since MP100 and MP99 are more head heavy. However, for "Control" type double players, MP88 should not be a bad choice at all.

If a racket is broken due to "clash", then, just consider as bad luck. In club play, especially double games, u just can't really avoid that.

3. lsgreydvm

lsgreydvm Regular Member

Veterinarian
    MP88

In Hong Kong, they call this a ladies racket.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: MP88

I heard about this comments, too. I think its due to its light weight and not as head heavy as MP100, etc.

Since a lot of guys are hard hitter, who of course prefer MP100, MP99, MP77 and so. However, I believe a defensive setup player in double (like me), will surely prefer a litght head light racket for quick response in front of net.

Anyway, I will get one from TW soon...

5. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Re: Re: MP88

Have you picked yours up yet? If so let us know what you think.

6. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

I concur with the people of Hong Kong. Played with it a few times and it felt OK for a while. That is probably why I bought them in the first place - I remember liking them in comparison to the other MP's at the time, and in fact I said so on this forum. However, when having them strung I went back to my Ti-10 and also my Iso 800 and the difference in power was significant. When hitting the sweetspot there was little difference but I find the MP88 much less forgiving, and I need as much as I can get. After changing back I did notice a small difference in defensive capability but compared to the gains in attack it is well worth the trade. So in conclusion, the MP88 is a girls racquet.

7. mozartcova

mozartcova Regular Member

MP88 is more of a Control racket. Very good in Defensive play for Double.

I'm not sure why this is a lady racket. Since ladies are generally less strength than men, don't you think they need more head heavy/power racket so that they can clear easier? In the same token, the whole racket cannot be too heavy so that they can maneuver better. In summary, 3U with head heavy racket should be ideal. Oh, don't forget the string tension should not be too high. I will say about 20 lbs should be good. :D

8. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Hmmm, I jus got my MP88 today after trading away my Ti-10 for it.

Spec:
    4U
    G4
    CD
    String: BG70Pro, at some unknown tension

First impressions on bending the racket was that it was STIFF... and not as flexible as it seems. The racket is light overall, but extremely head heavy. If you're just holding onto the handle with the racket parallel to the ground, you'd think it's a 3U/2U or even U racket, because it "seemed" heavy

The racket packed a huge punch as my friend was smashing with it. IMO it IS a great defensive racket, and still packs a fair bit to produce some powerful shots

However, since I cant string it at ~25 lbs, I'll let my sister use it after she becomes better, meanwhile I'll stick to my Ti-10 CPs :D

9. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    i agree with jchen. the mp88 is really head heavy. i've used 3 mp88's now.
    all US versions and all 3U though. Comparing a mp88 to my 3u mp100,
    it is much head heavier, but its not as stiff imo. i dislike people calling it a ladies racket (even tho the three i tried out were all owned by women : b ) just because its suppose to be defensive. A girl is just like a man, and i know men who use it and beat the living crap outta ppl. ( You just gotta love junior national players ^^ ).

10. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Wow, you guys found the MP88? I have a friend at a club who has it and I switched in and out with his friend's MP77 and MP88 and I found it to be the lightest piece of metal I ever played with! :)

That's the reason I didn't like it, it felt too light for me (4U CD).

11. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I have been using my MP88(4U, 20x21pounds on BG65TI) for 6 months now, and I don't see any problems with durability and power.

Perhaps the power isn't as much as MP100 because its weight, but I don't see it as a problem since MP88 was designed for doubles game in defense anyway. (please see www.yonex.co.jp for more details)

It's good to have MP88 for a net game because you can return all shots fast.

Jeff