User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Grommets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there guys. I have this problem. My Yonex AT900T shared grommets, specially at 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock positions (or maybe 4 and 8) are really stuck into their holes due to high tension. I have no grommet removal tool and it is not available in my country.

If any of you experienced this, how did you remove the shared grommets without using de-grommeting tool?

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bluecraze07 View Post
    So how do you guys replace the shared grommets? I mean when you put in the grommets, they are just longer and thicker, but they are not in the circular form like they are on the racket when you get them. I was wondering how to achieve this.
    They are made in that kind of shape in the factory.Which means,u won't be able to find that kind of grommets available for sale.Even if u buy a whole set of YY single grommets,they won't have it.Even if they have,u won't be able to fit it in as well,without losing its original shape.

Good news is,u can DIY,modify the new normal double string(large) grommet.First,u need a scissor.Cut it to the normal length of the original grommet.Then,u need a screwdriver,that can slightly fit in the grommet hole..Screw it,n use a blunt surfaced,for ex:the bottom handle of the screwdriver itself n make it flat.I've done this on most of my grommets replaced rackets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nutbad5981 View Post
    Hi there guys. I have this problem. My Yonex AT900T shared grommets, specially at 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock positions (or maybe 4 and 8) are really stuck into their holes due to high tension. I have no grommet removal tool and it is not available in my country.

If any of you experienced this, how did you remove the shared grommets without using de-grommeting tool?

thanks
    Easy.U dont really require the special de-grommeting tool.U can use ur simpler tools to do this.I personally use screwdriver that is usually used for opening or changing mobile phone casing.The same thing u will get when u buy a mobile HDD casing,they'll give u this small screwdriver.But i suggest u buy a set of it.U can go to a home appliances shop to buy that.U'll gonna need it.Use this proper size of screwdriver,medium size to push out the big grommets,and small to push out the small grommets.Push it from the inner part of the frame.

After u have it half way out,use ur nail cutter to clamp (don't cut them,otherwise u'll have a hard time to push them out) n pull the old grommets out.
    Notice:U'll need a male nail cutter,not that mini nail cutter though..Otherwise u can't fit the space to clamp the big grommets.

Good luck on trying!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry for reviving this thread but I have some things to ask

I'm about to get grommets from mbs (just buying two types and shorten them if needed) and a lot of you have been talking about type A and C, but I was wondering which are the MBS equivalents because the types available there are B,C,E,F,I
    looking at the diameters, I assumed it would be type C and I but I just want to make sure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On this subject, how tight should grommets be? I have the smallest ones from W&D (2.1mm iirc) and on yonex frames they are really hard to push in all the way, to the point that i sometimes have to shave a little bit off the grommet to get them to fit.

The last time i strung a YY frame i had to replace all of the single pass grommets, and after stringing they've pulled out a little, so that the flange isn't flush with the frame, so i'm going to have to restring and push them in more somehow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blableblibloblu View Post
    sorry for reviving this thread but I have some things to ask

I'm about to get grommets from mbs (just buying two types and shorten them if needed) and a lot of you have been talking about type A and C, but I was wondering which are the MBS equivalents because the types available there are B,C,E,F,I
    looking at the diameters, I assumed it would be type C and I but I just want to make sure
    "A" has a diameter of 2.1 mm, and "C" is 2.6 mm. These two are the most common ones. Not sure the equivalent from MBS, but you can use that to compare.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dunmaster View Post
    "A" has a diameter of 2.1 mm, and "C" is 2.6 mm. These two are the most common ones. Not sure the equivalent from MBS, but you can use that to compare.
    thank you very much, this confirms that I on MBS is like A

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by _Rav_ View Post
    On this subject, how tight should grommets be? I have the smallest ones from W&D (2.1mm iirc) and on yonex frames they are really hard to push in all the way, to the point that i sometimes have to shave a little bit off the grommet to get them to fit.
    they are usually from very snug to quite tight. but never so tight that it requires either a tool or shaving to make them fit.

in other words, they are the right fit if:

- it is not so loose that it falls out on its own, and
    - you can push it into the grommet hole with bare hands (without hurting yourself)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    they are usually from very snug to quite tight. but never so tight that it requires either a tool or shaving to make them fit.

in other words, they are the right fit if:

- it is not so loose that it falls out on its own, and
    - you can push it into the grommet hole with bare hands (without hurting yourself)
    Hmm, i definately can't get them in with only my fingers, need at least the handle of an awl, but it's only on yonex frames it would seem. I also noticed on the grommets 4 bits that stick out a little, i woder if they're supposed to squash down when the grommet is inserted?

Unless YY frames need smaller grommets than others, or this batch i have were made a little too big i'm at a loss.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by _Rav_ View Post
    Hmm, i definately can't get them in with only my fingers, need at least the handle of an awl, but it's only on yonex frames it would seem. I also noticed on the grommets 4 bits that stick out a little, i woder if they're supposed to squash down when the grommet is inserted?

Unless YY frames need smaller grommets than others, or this batch i have were made a little too big i'm at a loss.
    an experiment to do would be try take out the neighboring original Yonex grommet and see if they also fit so tightly. and then on top of that, measure their size if you have the appropriate caliper to do so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    an experiment to do would be try take out the neighboring original Yonex grommet and see if they also fit so tightly. and then on top of that, measure their size if you have the appropriate caliper to do so.
    Ok, i measured one of the removed yonex grommets with a digital caliper at between 2.06 and 2.09mm depending on how hard i gripped it. The new ones rated at 2.1mm (from W&D Strings) come out to exactly 2.1mm ... but here's the kicker, they've got these little veins that put it up to about 2.2mm:

Name:  grommet.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  56.3 KB

I'm guessing that they are designed to squish down into themselves to make them more secure in the frame?

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

yeah. it looks like it.

but it does look like Yonex's grommet are less than 2.1mm.

i have noticed that with recent Yonex rackets with single pass grommets hole, it does take some effort to insert the MBS grommets into the hole. i will measure the size of the MBS grommets when i get home tonight.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i have two types of grommet that i got from MBS.

they measure 2.55mm and 2.09mm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2