New Grommets

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by toomanyracquets, Mar 20, 2010.

1. toomanyracquets

toomanyracquets Regular Member

Logistics for Caterpillar
    I've been given quite a few racquets to string with nasty looking grommets. I would like to replace them but to do this I would have to lay out too much money to buy a hugh assortment of new grommets and a couple of different sized grommet grinders to do this... Anywhere I can get small amounts of grommets and has anyone come up with the ideal home made grommet removal tool??? I know it sounds tight but I only string my own and friends racquets for very little in return.

cheers for any help

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

a) You can get grommets in lots of 600 from mybadmintonstore; I got some in Size C for use at knot locations and for shared holes. You can get fewer for roughly the same money in UK (W&D Strings in Kent, for example), but why do that when you can get 600, which will keep you pretty much forever?:D

b) You can buy a reasonably expensive dedicated grommet removal tool, but I've found the best way to get them out is to cut the flange CAREFULLY on the outside of the frame with a razor blade and then poke the remainder into the frame with an awl.

3. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

For removing grommets I found that laying a bare razor blade used for box cutters and cutting the grommet inside the frame works well. Its the opposite of mark, so it looks like it works both ways. Cut slowly using a sawing action that way you will only get the grommet. If you press too hard either way you could risk knicking the frame.

4. toomanyracquets

toomanyracquets Regular Member

Logistics for Caterpillar
    Cheers Guys, Had thought about just using a blade but didn't know if that would work without butchering the racquet. Or if I would just end up with a chopped up grommet stuck in the frame.

Cheers

5. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    I just pull out grommets? I never found a need to cut them at all, which I found weird, but it didn't bother me. The shared grommets I replaced worked well enough, I didn't seem to find a problem at all, on other people's rackets, or my own.

If you want a grommet "grinder" I recommend instead of spending 20+ USD on a specific one, swing by the local hardware store so you can find a taper file, for a good picture its the bottom three on the picture here: http://www.acehardware.com/largeIma...t/graphics/product_images/pACE3-3695007dt.jpg

I'd think they'd serve the purpose well enough, though I haven't tried it myself.

6. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

no need to use a blade to remove grommet at all. you can try to use the awl to push it out a bit, if it stuck. then, once it's out a bit, you can use diagonal cutter to grab the other end, and pull it out.

if awl is too small, you can also try to get a tapered nail to push it out.

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I cut on the outside of the frame so that

a) once the old grommet's flange is cut I can yank the rest through the inside of the frame with the old needle-nose pliers (it's easier than pushing inside out), and

b) in the minute chance that I scratch a frame with the razor (one of my frames, usually) the new grommet's flange will cover it.

+1 for the saw action - you need a lot less pressure this way.

8. geopri

geopri Regular Member

carpenter
    If you ring W&D Strings they sell a proper De-Grommeting Tool which not only removes the grommets but also replace badminton grommets.
    Cat No WA306 and costs £12.00 Tele No 0800 0687120 or 01580 752972.
    Hope this of some help

9. adonis

adonis Regular Member

DC Badminton Panda Power Australian Distributor, S
    Is the tool any good? If it is, I wouldn't mind getting one. It doesn't cost too much and it gives you the peace of mind you won't be damaging the racket in any way.

I am also looking to purchase grommets, however I was told you can probably get away with buying just 2 types and it should be able to fit the others. Eg, Type C and Type A from MBS instead of the whole lot. Anyone tried this?

10. geopri

geopri Regular Member

carpenter
    Hi Adonis

I've used this de-grommeting tool for a number years with out any problems I certainly would'nt use a razor blade to cut them out. It will take out grommets and replace them with ease and able to do two different size of grommets.
    You can also buy all different types of small packets of grommets at a reasonable price eg : Bad 200 for 4.50, Squash 2.85, Tennis 3.95
    Hope this is off some help

Regards Geopri

11. adonis

adonis Regular Member

DC Badminton Panda Power Australian Distributor, S
    Does WatDon still sell this tool? It's not on their website anymore. Whereabouts would you be able to get 200 different badminton grommets for 4.50? Is that GBP?

12. geopri

geopri Regular Member

carpenter
    It is in their new 2010 Catalogue WA306 at new price £35.00 well worth the money which includes extra tools for different size grommets.
    They sell packs of grommets from B1-B6 200 in each price £4.50 per pack.
    E-Mail sales@watdon.co.uk
    Sales 0800 068 7120 ask for Francis.
    Sorry the price I gave earlier was an old one my mistake.

13. bluecraze07

bluecraze07 Regular Member

So how do you guys replace the shared grommets? I mean when you put in the grommets, they are just longer and thicker, but they are not in the circular form like they are on the racket when you get them. I was wondering how to achieve this.

14. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

This tool is still on the 2009 WD catalogue, but it's going at £35 these days - not sure if it's worth it, tbh, when the razor blade works so well. You can also get it from MBS for a similar price.

With regard to grommets, I think A/C will cover pretty much everything - after all, you only need singles and doubles, and if you get everything too long you can trim it down ad lib. Better too long than too short (don't stoop, it's too obvious:D).

15. geopri

geopri Regular Member

carpenter
    What do you mean by shared grommets, one grommet to take two strings in one opening for tying off or a grommet with top and bottom holes to keep two strings apart as in squash rackets.
    As far as I know all grommets are round and made to fit the racket concerned and then cut to the required length after fitting.

16. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

If I'm thinking what you're thinking (viz. the grommets found on some Prince "power ring" rackets) as far as I know these don't exist in badminton - the frame isn't thick enough to accomodate them. By "double grommets" we mean both the ones for main/cross junctions and the ones for tying off.

17. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

You just have to cut the new ones short enough so that you have a bit exposed at the inside of the frame. you don't need this horn-shape inside the frame to make it work.

18. nutbad5981

nutbad5981 Regular Member

elementary grade tutor
    Hi there guys. I have this problem. My Yonex AT900T shared grommets, specially at 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock positions (or maybe 4 and 8) are really stuck into their holes due to high tension. I have no grommet removal tool and it is not available in my country.

If any of you experienced this, how did you remove the shared grommets without using de-grommeting tool?

thanks

19. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    They are made in that kind of shape in the factory.Which means,u won't be able to find that kind of grommets available for sale.Even if u buy a whole set of YY single grommets,they won't have it.Even if they have,u won't be able to fit it in as well,without losing its original shape.

Good news is,u can DIY,modify the new normal double string(large) grommet.First,u need a scissor.Cut it to the normal length of the original grommet.Then,u need a screwdriver,that can slightly fit in the grommet hole..Screw it,n use a blunt surfaced,for ex:the bottom handle of the screwdriver itself n make it flat.I've done this on most of my grommets replaced rackets.:)

20. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Easy.U dont really require the special de-grommeting tool.U can use ur simpler tools to do this.I personally use screwdriver that is usually used for opening or changing mobile phone casing.The same thing u will get when u buy a mobile HDD casing,they'll give u this small screwdriver.But i suggest u buy a set of it.U can go to a home appliances shop to buy that.U'll gonna need it.Use this proper size of screwdriver,medium size to push out the big grommets,and small to push out the small grommets.Push it from the inner part of the frame.

After u have it half way out,use ur nail cutter to clamp (don't cut them,otherwise u'll have a hard time to push them out) n pull the old grommets out.
    Notice:U'll need a male nail cutter,not that mini nail cutter though.:D.Otherwise u can't fit the space to clamp the big grommets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good luck on trying!