Advice? Is there something wrong with my racket?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by JollyArmpit, Mar 20, 2010.

1. JollyArmpit

JollyArmpit Regular Member

Student
    Hello, I'm a freshman in high school and started playing on the jv team this year. I'M A NOOOB. My first racket was a Wilson Matchpoint (yellow) and it was pretty light for me at the time but then it started getting more and more sluggish so I wanted to get a lighter one. It is 105g. My friend (who doesn't play) got me a Carlton Airblade C500 and it is supposed to be 90g, which is supposed to be lighter and it has a lot more power/control. I've been having a really hard time adjusting to this racket and I lost my tournament last week. For the weirdest reason, the C500 seems SO MUCH HEAVIER than my old one?? There's more power but why is it so hard to get a good swing? Why is that all the reviews say it's really light-weight? What's wrong with me??
    Also, any tips on playing would be greatly appreciated. I have a long way to go at getting better at this.

2. cl427x

cl427x Regular Member

College Student
    While rackets are really subjective in terms of skill, good ones bring out your fullest potential - if you meet your match. Then again, you don't need a good racket to do well. I can't help but recalling the guy who owned me with a Wilson Matchpoint.

If you live in south bay in the SF bay area, look into Badminton Alley, but if not, they have a website where you can browse/order. Look into some low-end rackets they offer and you might find something you like. Remember that you're just starting out, so you don't really need to worry about how good your racket is. My advice is not to overdo yourself but to work on your fundamentals first, then get a more worthwhile racket so you can enjoy the game to its fullest. Read more in these forums; there are tons of knowledgeable people willing to answer more of your questions.

3. arodragonr

arodragonr Regular Member

It actually might be the type of head? or the stiffness. these things will change how you play, maybe the strings. I actually suggest going to some local player-friendly store and ask to try out some rackets. and ask for advice

1st: try a head light
    2nd try a head heady
    3rd try a head balanced

-make sure their all STIFF

now try the repeated, but with a more flexible shaft.