What did you play like when you were a noob?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by JollyArmpit, Mar 21, 2010.

1. JollyArmpit

JollyArmpit Regular Member

Student
    I just started playing in my high school's jv team (I'm a freshman) and I'm HORRIBLE
    My friend bought me a Carlton Airblade C500 for my birthday and all of a sudden start playing even worse?? The racket is supposed to be 90g but it seems so much heavier than my old 105g racket and my wrist is so sluggish. The head seems slightly smaller as well and I have a hard time hitting the birdie. It often makes this clang noise and hits the handle/frame of the racket. I'm a total noob at this and I look stupid everytime I play. Were any of you like this when you just started? It feels like it's just me, my friend just started this year and he made top varsity. He plays like a pro
    What can I do to train to get better?

2. kish-mah-ash

kish-mah-ash Regular Member

i must admit,when i first started palyiung badminton,i didn't like it much.jsut playuin awful is the right description.:(

3. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

most people start off playing horrible, nothing to get discouraged about. of course, some people naturally have better coordination than others, and some will pick things up faster. best thing to do is play more often, and play with people who are slightly better than you. getting some coaching where possible is the best option, but it's not always that simple/convenient/affordable to do so.

4. Loafers

Loafers Regular Member

Loafer
    You probably need more time to get used to it. Also, heavy rackets can be good for practice.

Sounds like you need to work on your coordination and technique.

Nope, I just picked up a racket one day and played flawlessly.

If your in JV and a "HORRIBLE" player, I am inclined to think your friend is not a pro...

3 things. Fitness, technique, and footwork. For fitness, run a couple of miles a day. Do some sprints too. For technique, read the articles on badmintonbible.com, watch better players, and check out some instructional videos on the forum. Always try to play against better players. Footwork is going to be the hardest to master. Watch some guides on youtube.

5. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    i started playing this game for almost 2 years now.
    i think playing better people is a must and just watch badminton games online to get the idea of the game/footwork/shot play etc

6. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    Pretty much the same way I play now :<

7. Addict123

Addict123 Regular Member

Oh, your third post on this topic. Uh oh.

Yes, that's normal.

8. druss

druss Regular Member

Everyone has different levels of native athletic ability which is the most apparent when you first start learning a sport. That does not mean they will always be better though.

It's also difficult to adapt to a new racket when you're a beginner. Speed, timing, weight... etc. will all be affected.

What I suggest is to ask your coach, either the Jr or Varsity, on some training tips that you can do in your free time. This will make an impression on them that you're serious about training/improving as well.

9. Arcsprite

Arcsprite Regular Member

I remember struggling to even do a forehand serve when i started playing over 7 years ago, kind of hard to believe when i think about it... but i'm a firm believer that you can be a great player regardless of how much natural talent you have. some players have more natural talent than others when they start, even at world level. Taufik and Zhao Jianhua were spotted very early as exceptional in very normal local clubs, but Lin Dan said in an interview once that he doesn't think there is such thing as a genius in badminton, and a lot of the world players like him got where they are through training and determination alone.

and yeah, heavier rackets are better for new players as they work the wrist, although i'd still go for isometric frame and 20lbs tension.

10. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    everybody is different, some people has talent some don't. However, talent people only get them to the peak point quicker than the none talent people.
    When saying that international players are all natural talent is pretty much wrong. It's all about practice and the MOST important thing of all "LOVE 4 BADMINTON"

every sport is the same. If you want to be good then you just have to practice. Without practice you can't really improve any further. However, if you don't have the "love 4 badminton", most likely you will feel bored when you're in practice.

11. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

i used to play with my feet planted so hard that i would do a ''matrix movie bullet dodge'' move to play anything that tried to get past me. i wasnt as bad as those other noobs

12. charliebadders

charliebadders Regular Member

student
    i had a lot of natural talent when i started, was able to beat players who had been playing for years. however, because i played socially and no one commented on my technique i found out after a year of playing, i got into county and they said my technique is wrong for everything, so i had to start again and learn all the skills again through a lot of mass practise and taping my hand in the right place while shadowing( i use to panhandle every shot) :p so basically, as long as you have a good coach you will soon become alot more consistant and a better player.