How much do you normally practice/train a week?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by JollyArmpit, Mar 21, 2010.

1. JollyArmpit

JollyArmpit Regular Member

Student
    I have practice/conditioning at school on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. We have a game coming up against some other high school soon. Conditioning is pretty tiring, we generally run a miles or more and do a load of calve exercises like duckwalk, squats, leapfrog, wall-sits. 20 pushups if you drop your racket
    blehbleh, i feel like joining track now
    oh and how long have you been training to get to where you're at now?

2. Addict123

Addict123 Regular Member

Me? 4 years of 2x2 relaxed, casual hours per week in my youth for entry tournament level; and recently, after roughly 2 decades of total abstinence, 3 months or so to get back to where I play more or less consistently again (this time on the strictly casual/recreational level of course, though I have to say I am pleasantly surprised about how quick my body picked those old movements up again; the basics are all still there, and that seems to surprise a lot of people which are much younger and have trained a lot in the recent years).

That said... Badminton is really not a sport where you go on the court and "destroy" your enemies after a few weeks of school training. More like learning a difficult instrument where you play simple children's songs for the first year before ever touching classical music. Most people never stop learning. And those that are really good at it (like the guys and gals you see on YouTube) train for dozens of hours per week, every week. I am much more fitter than in my youth (I did a lot of other sports in those 20 years), and I notice this a lot, today - I can run circles around other people on the court, who may be much better in placing shots, but puffing a lot after a short time. ;)

I love that circle training. Keep at it, you will persevere. It prepares you for tough games on the court. If that puts you off, maybe Badminton is not the right sport for you at the moment. At most levels, Badminton games are decided mostly by who tires first, so you will/should feel "destroyed" after every single game.

Also, you cannot really say that you need X years to get to Y level of play. It depends a lot on your coach, on yourself, and the priorities you put into the sport. And, of course, on your mental and bodily abilities...

3. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

days a week of footwork shadows, drop liftings, back and forth 1,2s and 1,2,2s. a single game after that and a sunday dedicated to best of five singles with my school team-mates

4. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    I play in 4 clubs so I play monday nit, tuesday nit, wednesday nit and friday nit. I get coached too which is sometimes a monday nit or Sat afternoon, sometimes both for 1hr30 mins per session. I cud play anywhere between 2 - 6 times a week. If i can, I will play 6 times a week :D

5. charliebadders

charliebadders Regular Member

student
    depends how into the season it is if it is a busy part of the season i play monday( casual), tuesday (match), wednesday( casual) thursday( casual) friday( match), saturday( county), sunday( casual X 2) but it depends if i have a match that week and whether my girlfriend isn't stock car racing. been doing this for about a year, before i use to only play twice a week if i was lucky. i range from 3-8 atm.