How to perform a backhand smash,clear,drive,drop?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by xrawrhenry, Mar 22, 2010.

1. xrawrhenry

xrawrhenry Regular Member

Starbucks - Barista
    I am having trouble performing backhand shots in a singles game earlier today. I was wondering if it was my grip on the racket that was wrong. Does most of the power come from the wrist,arm, or the swing of the racket when I hit a hard backhand? Also when I backhand drop do I just fling my wrist a little? I have a picture of the racket and each of the gripping ways. If anyone can show me which combination they use in a backhand smash,clean,drive and drop that would be helpful. Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Simple question to start:
    do you hit it with a sudden wrist snap with no follow thru?

3. xrawrhenry

xrawrhenry Regular Member

Starbucks - Barista
    are you answering or asking a question? If asking, it would depend on the situation I'm at. If I have no time to perform the shot then I would snap the wrist to generate power. Answer my question.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Backhand power comes from a violent sudden snap and stop of the wrist. There is practically no follow thru. You have to imagine the tip of your racket as an extension of your arm, the tip being like the tip of a whip that you want to generate max speed upon impact. Just like a using a whip, you have to snap it at the very last moment for max effect and speed.

For a backhand drop though, it's like a forehand drop, with a sweeping motion of the arm.

#4 visor, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  5. dazzatron

dazzatron Regular Member

true but you should play any backhand shot as a complete reversal of a forehand (unless you're at the net). so a large swing but at the last second, the wrist action chosen determines what kind of shot you play. by doing this also adds deception in your shot as your clear and drop shots look similar making it hard to predict.

6. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

there's this youtube video of the british squad that will help

7. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Did you mean that there's no follow through right after the swing and the wrist action? A snap can only generate this much force compared to a swing + wrist flick / snap at the end.

8. charliebadders

charliebadders Regular Member

student
    wouldn't it be easier to follow through then you would be facing the net rather than having your back to it? if it is just the reverse of a forearm clear/smash you would follow through...

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Did you actually mean to say "forearm clear" (as in, "forearm-only clear")? If so, then even on the forehand the follow-through is limited: it's more of a rebound action.

A backhand is not entirely the reverse of a forehand clear, because the shoulder joint is much more limited coming backwards than forwards.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

That's right, no follow thru. The backhand clear should start with a full wind-up preparation, then quickly rotate the shoulder and extend (but not fully) the elbow to swing the forearm towards the bird. Upon contact, quite violently supinate and snap the wrist and stop all power suddenly, allowing all muscles to relax suddenly. The forearm/wrist should rebound naturally back to you. No follow thru at all.

11. charliebadders

charliebadders Regular Member

student
    ok, thanks for clearing that up for me :) my county coaches coach it differently, as i said with the follow through lol they don't know anything :p

12. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    Just go to youtube and watch some professional players performing backhands. Taufik in particular.

13. ct3833

ct3833 Regular Member

Manager