What does this exercise do?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ionoo, Mar 23, 2010.

1. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It's a back lift. Notice that he does it immediately after sit-ups (or at least, he appears to).

If you only do sit-ups, then you're developing one side of the body (the front, your abdominal muscles) and not the other (the back, your back musles). This can lead to postural problems (a muscle imbalance).

I wouldn't recommend initially doing back lifts at that speed, however. You could pull something. :p Do them slowly.

3. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

oh ok thanks for clarifying. In the same video lcw does pushups, would clapping pushups be beneficial for badminton as well?

4. tommypham6

tommypham6 Regular Member

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Could be. Certainly it wouldn't harm to add them as a fun variation or challenge.

At a guess, I'd say that clapping push ups (press ups) could develop better explosive power over a limited range of the muscles involved, whereas normal push ups should develop better overall shoulder stability (as you're pushing through the full range of motion).

I don't think it would be good to supplant the normal push ups completely, and only do clapping ones.

6. rodreaz

rodreaz Regular Member

Student
    how did he lift 20kgs and didnt get a bulky muscle? when i lift weights im always afraid that ill get bulky..

7. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

I read somewhere that most of us cannot become huge by simply lifting weights.

"Many people are afraid of getting huge due to weight lifting but the fact is you won't! Many huge body-builders out there have been body-building for years to get huge."
    http://www.wikihow.com/get-six-pack-abs

8. rodreaz

rodreaz Regular Member

Student
    oohh thanks a lot! now i can lift weights without worries!

9. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Bodybuilders are also lifting much heavier weights. They consume vast amount of protein rich foods on a daily basis as part of their training program.

Notive with all the weight training exercises on the video, LCW had a trainer standing by to help him. He pushed the weights quickly in these exercises in order to develop strength and endurance. Otherwise, he would have pushed much higher weights but slower for pure strength.

I'm sure there are many more exercises in his training program to develop different muscles.

As always, if you're going to begin a weight training program, please ask for help so that you do the exercise properly without potential injury. Above all, be safe first as weight training accidents are frequent for novices who think they know what they're doing.

To your success

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

10. rodreaz

rodreaz Regular Member

Student
    so lifting weights slowly will add muscle size while lifting quickly increase strength then?

11. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Slow reps with heavy weights builds strength and bulk only if you are eating sufficient quantities of foods to pack on muscle.

In badminton we need a combination of strength, speed, ensurance and flexibility which requires completely different training.

Gollum mentioned before that he recommended someone continues using ordinary push ups in their training in addition to push ups with clap. One builds strength and endurance whilst the other builds explosive power. So the same exercise done in a slightly different way can get different results.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

12. rodreaz

rodreaz Regular Member

Student
    i see. so to get the best results i will need to train in all those aspects? thats A LOT

13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes. Getting the best results is always hard. ;)

Being pragmatic, you probably can't do as complete a regime of physical training as the pro players do; and even they cannot do everything. It's useful to discover some priorities, so you can get good results with the time available to you.

14. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Unless you

a) lift as heavy as you can (i.e. to failure within 10-12 reps) on every set and
    b) neck 200+ grams of protein per day

it's 95% certain that you won't get "big". Believe me, I've been in that game for 8 years now and it's incredibly difficult, even if you vector all your effort into it.

Big weights force you to go slowly, so you can't really get any of that explosive power that LCW et al generate so easily. LCW has it spot on with his "blasting out" on medium-weight squats, bench and clean/jerks - he could get two reps in during one of mine. It doesn't add much size, but the fast-twitch fibres are activated and THAT'S what he's after.

15. WoRLd PeACe

WoRLd PeACe Regular Member

students
    It's there any ways to train back hand? I am poorly in back-hand and always get to attack by opponents while single match... =(

16. rodreaz

rodreaz Regular Member

Student
    ohhh so ur referring to explosive training? i read somewhere that we shouldn't start explosive training before u start strength training to decrease the risk of an injury. :(

17. rodreaz

rodreaz Regular Member

Student
    i have that problem too.. in fact i have a lot of weaknesses since i just started badminton seriously for about 1 month. before i just played in front of my house with all my friends. just for fun.

18. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Bicep curls will help with the backhand, especially twisting curls with dumbells.

Try this: bend your right elbow to 90 degrees, have your forearm out in front of you, and your palm facing the floor. Now grip your right bicep with your left hand, and sharply turn your right hand so it's palm up. You will feel the right bicep pump up. Sadly, there's no corresponding response on the forehand side:p.

19. WoRLd PeACe

WoRLd PeACe Regular Member

students
    it's about complicated~ =_=.. what if i train biceps and triceps and wrist? normally i go to badminton's gym to train those... it seems like somehow depends on my racquects...kinda weird me.. =)

20. rodreaz

rodreaz Regular Member

Student
    i read somewhere that it is very important to keep the the muscle relaxed before a backhand swing. i tried that and it works :D