Short Serve in Singles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by dohdoh, Mar 23, 2010.

1. dohdoh

dohdoh Regular Member

When I played a couple of weeks ago, my opponent only used short serves in singles. Normally I would beat him quite comfortably, but this time I lost the match. What shot should I reply with after his short serve?
    And should I start using short serves in singles? All of the top players do it...

Thanks.

2. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

u need to be unpredictable. there is no staple response. if u find him struggling in the rear court, majority of your shots should be attacking lifts the corners. use deception to your advantage and play hold-and-lifts and burst-and-holds to put him off balance. observe him playing and play shots that either force him out oh his comfort zone or make him play a shot that u are comfortable with.
    say, if u like coming forward, play drop backs, deceptively or if he prefers to play drops from the rear court and u r good at the net, lift the shuttle instead. their are just too many combinations to write in one post
    the problem may just be a mental one as u r not used to playin short serves.

3. lukasek97

lukasek97 Regular Member

I play either net shot, lift to back-court or drive but that is just when I know that he/she is going to do short serve and I am ready for it