User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: how to smash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I guess you first have to guess before you develop the ability to react quickly enough that you can glimpse right before hitting.

On a side note, any tips how to add more angle to a smash? I hate having flat smashes

If I'm hitting from midcourt, it's not much of an issue, I don't really have to jump to get decent angle. If it's from behind, I usually just hit the net. So I try to jump. However, my jump smash is flat about 50% of the time.

On top of that, I guess my smash isn't strong enough. My guess is that I'm not doing weight transfer right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on string tension, at a higher tension, the elastic potential of string is high but so is its rigidity. so granted you can muster enough racket speed, u'll be able to generate high speeds. but if racket speed is a constant, my guess is that it might form an inverted parabola graph of tension vs shuttle speed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    ^ I guess you first have to guess before you develop the ability to react quickly enough that you can glimpse right before hitting.

On a side note, any tips how to add more angle to a smash? I hate having flat smashes

If I'm hitting from midcourt, it's not much of an issue, I don't really have to jump to get decent angle. If it's from behind, I usually just hit the net. So I try to jump. However, my jump smash is flat about 50% of the time.

On top of that, I guess my smash isn't strong enough. My guess is that I'm not doing weight transfer right.
    Angle's usually created from reaching high and optimally in front of you (approx. 1 ft) Things to also check for:
    1. Racket angle during point of contact (ie check if you're slicing)
    2. Your grip on your racket when you smash (ie are you holding the correct grip to smash at the bird without creating a slice? This relates more to power than angle, but can also help create a better angle)
    3. Your positioning relative to where the bird is (ie are you behind the bird when you smash and not under?)
    4. Timing of your swing (ie are you snapping your wrist late?)

The strength of your smash is somewhat dependent on how well you transfer power from your body/core(abdominal area) to your arm to your racket. There's also a matter of timing and whether you are slicing (which reduces power transfer on the smash). Watching videos of Pros can be helpful at least in knowing the form to do a smash in. Instructional videos such as ones from Jonas Rasmussen(sp?) on Youtube was decent in teaching the power transfer on a smash.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

think it's peter rasmussen that does the smash vids on youtube

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2