Player of the Year

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Zhi, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Zhi

Zhi Regular Member

Student
    Now that the last Grand Prix Event has been played, who do all of you think will be this year's player of the year?!

For me, if it happens to be a singles player, i'd have to say Chen Hong. His results of 3 Titles and 2 Finals in major events is a great achievement. I agree that Taufik is also a good contender, with his 2 Titles (Indonesian and Asian Games if i'm not mistaken). I doubt that it would be a female winner in singles as i dont believe there has been any real dominant woman out there this year.

If it was a doubles player, it has to be Kim Dong Moon, with his numerous titles in MD and XD, how can anyone look past him?!

Well, that's my two cents...... what does everyone else think?!

Z

2. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

My money's on Kim Dong Moon. Having done superbly in two disciplines gives him a much higher chance of getting it. Even in terms of the number of titles, he beats everyone hands down this year.

3. Zhi

Zhi Regular Member

Student
    hey Naukip

Yeah, i fully agree with you. Kim Dong Moon has certainly dominated in his two disciplines, more so than Chen Hong and Taufik. So my bet would be on him.

Z

4. reaper

reaper Regular Member

Retired badminton player, LOL =P PRE-MED STUDENT (
    best player

Doubles -> Kim Dong Moon for sure

Singles -> Chen Hong for sure

Chen Hong has stepped up his game and he does really well at all the tournaments he enters, I wouldn't be surprised if he wins China Open

5. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Nope, Wong Choon Han of Malaysia beat Chen Hong in the finals of the China Open. It was a 3 set match. Choon Han was last years finalist and he finally won a big event.

Ron

6. reaper

reaper Regular Member

Retired badminton player, LOL =P PRE-MED STUDENT (
    oops

oh really, my apologies then, last i checked the final had not taken place yet, congrats to Wong .............

7. Shoulderpain

Shoulderpain Regular Member

ESL teacher
    I often feel bad reading all the threads about International Badminton and the elite players, because in Canada I can NEVER see them play, and get ZERO information about them. I play the game, love it, but I couldn't name a single hight level player. I really am pathetic, eh?

I don't want to start another "Badminton needs more media attention" thread, I just wanted to say...I wish I knew more about the elite level of the sport.

8. rejang

rejang Regular Member

Hi Shoulderpain, I felt the same way when I was living my 10 years in NZ, 11 years ago. There were zilch coverrage in NZ, all we knew then were thru the M'sian newspaper, The NST, available from University library, albeit 1 month old.
    I guess the way for you folks in places like Canada, USA, etc to catch up with play is to have a community of like interest people supplying you with the videos of international matches (not too long after they have finished). I would think this is where a forum like this can do a much better job than the big $ domination mainstream media. We could start a club/scheme here where live coverage (either on TV or in the venue) of any Open events in any countries are video'd and then distributed to a main contact in each country (or those with minimal coverage). The main contact in each country can then duplicate & disseminate the same to the major towns/cities where this forum participants are located for centralise viewing or whatever. I believe we here, would then have done a much better job in popularising the game & keeping those interested involved than the IBF's of the world.
    I mean the process can be refined like eg. having a separate category for videos of games and those who are keen in each country pool some $ for video blanks as well as postage and so on....

9. viver

viver Regular Member

Totally agree with your comment

10. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    What i know about elite badminton, i learned from here.. and World Badminton. These are both great sites, and the videos on World Badminton are "viewable"
    The quality may not be great, but you can still see where the birdie is going, by their motions, even though you can't see the birdie. haha
    is there a way we can get more uptodate footage from our friends in the East? maybe set up a badminton FTP or something please! i'm tired of watching Sun Jun and Peter Rasmussen going at it over and over again!

11. Shoulderpain

Shoulderpain Regular Member

ESL teacher
    The main contact in each country can then duplicate & disseminate the same to the major towns/cities where this forum participants are located for centralise viewing or whatever. I believe we here, would then have done a much better job in popularising the game & keeping those interested involved than the IBF's of the world.

I would love to get some kind of access to high level badminton, but would what you're suggesting be legal?

12. rejang

rejang Regular Member

I am not an IP or copyright lawyer but I would venture to guess that duplication and dissemination of images from free-to-air broadcast is legal. As for satelite broadcasting may be another matter....

13. Zhi

Zhi Regular Member

Student
    Looks like the general opinion was right here.....

Kim Dong Moon has been awarded the Eddy Choong Player of the Year Award...

Congrats to him, well deserved with his 5 MD and 7 XD titles this year...

Check out the article on Worldbadminton.net

Z

14. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    ShoulderPain I noticed you're in Vancouver and don't you play at VRC too? I thought I recalled reading a post that mentioned you play there as well. Sometimes I catch some really good games at VRC. Darryl Yung sometimes plays on sunday nights. He's not as "elite" as the world's top players but he is a former Canadian Olympian. I've seen plenty of tapes of top international matches and although they are incredibly entertaining, nothing beats watching badminton live. Even though Darryl is usually playing with provincial caliber players, I just sit there, faced glazed over, with my mouth in a static "WOW" *LOL* :D. I wish we had more players of that caliber to watch too but I'm happy we have at least one here.