Helpful recommendation for low, wide Yonex shoe

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by gapperonduty, Mar 25, 2010.

1. gapperonduty

gapperonduty Regular Member

Hi all-

So amidst all excitement for my new T2 racket, i sprained my ankle yesterday night. I was wearing Asics Gel Rocket 4 (size 8.5) when it happened. The floor was a little slippery too so that surely doesn't help either. The day before, my left ankle was hurting a little and i attributed that, and my sprain to the instability of the Asics. The gel rocket is very high with tall base, and too narrow of the sole at the mid section, which, altogether, made my movement very clumsy and restricted...and BANG...rolled over my left ankle while moving back to left-backline to do a overhead clear. *cleared it to the right baseline too:D*

so anyway i have decided to ditch this shoe (and try to exchange it for the gel domain so i don't lose money) and look for a PROPER yonex shoe.

Been searching around this forum and i kinda have an idea or two about all the SHBs. I have slightly wide feet (non-flat). But with all yonex shoe seemed to have tall base too (from pictures), could someone recommend me a Yonex that's low and slightly wide?

I am excluding 200 since it seemed to be very tall. I am also excluding 101 mx/ltd since i believed it is too narrow. I am leaning towards the 99,91 and possibly 100. More 99 than others since it is the least stiff as well.

Lastly, before this gets obscenely long, the reason why i think low-base shoe is ideal for me is that i played indoor soccer all my life, and as you know, indoor soccer shoes are very thin and soft. I never had an ankle sprain. Furthermore, earlier during the transition to badminton from "veging on the couch", i used my indoor soccer shoe (addidas) for badminton and it was pretty good. Light and nimble, i could dash around court every day, but slowly the sole of my right foot was hurting a little due to all the bending and folding with all the extreme movements of badminton. So, maybe this is why i hope i could find a Yonex that's low enough to have sufficient comfort but not making instability an everyday's risk!

2. visor

visor Regular Member

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

4. gapperonduty

Thanx guys for the input...

i will take your words for it that the 80W is low. Trying to google for it but it seemed the 81W has taken over! Visor, could you let me know if it also has a low base?

How are they compared, in terms of base height, to the others such as the tall one (200) or the seemingly low-base shb99.

Also, do you guys agree on the height of the base that i mentioned above, or do you actually prefer one with a thick sole!?

thanx in advance for your input!

5. gapperonduty

or anyone with experience with other SHB, could you just spare a minute to drop a comment or two regarding the height of the base of your shoes?

Currently, i can't go to my badminton club to ask around (stuck on a couch with a gigantic cast on my left leg, and god knows when i will be humping and jumping around the badminton court again), so any input will be appreciated! All information i get is by judging from the pictures of the shoes!

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Hmmm, from my experience with the 200's, I think the the slightly increased height comes from the new wavy patterned Yonex insole, which is cushier and because of that, slightly thicker. I think the shoe base is the same as other SHB's in thickness.

7. gapperonduty

thanx visor...

as fidget mentioned that the 80W is low, i had the impression that different model will have different height (maybe a little difference) due to the cushion/insole/etc. If you say that shoe base is the same for all, then maybe i really have to go see one for myself.

Do you know how the base compares to the gel rocket? cos when i wear that, i felt like i grow taller by a few inches...and it is super bouncy on the steps which i hate...

8. visor

visor Regular Member

I just searched... Gel rocket is a cross trainer! No wonder you sprained your ankle!

They are meant for running, gym, etc, so they are thicker to provide impact absorption. Not meant for indoor sports with a lot of back and forth, and side to side motion like badminton and volleyball.

Go check out the SHB 200's or 81's. They'll both be better for badminton than what you have currently.

9. gapperonduty

gel rocket has been endorsed by a few here in the forum...it's the gel rocket 4 that's sell as volleyball or court shoe...so that's why i picked that while choosing a proper badminton shoe later on...but the ankle sprain came too soon..

if only i knew you the day before yesterday.....................................

i will check out the 80s and 90s...

thank you thank you...

#9 gapperonduty, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010