[New Member] Need Advices for double

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Helios, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Helios

Helios Regular Member

Hi Everybody! I am new on this forum so let me introduce myself quickly.
    I am French (so I am already apologising to you for the entire mistake I will make) I have 27 years old and I have started the badminton for now 1year 1/2. I know I am a new player but I am a fast learner and I always played several (racket) sports. I am already playing for Brookes University in Oxford in the double team and I am doing almost 10 hours of training by week.
    My equipment is: a Yonex NS8000 with Ashaway Power Gut 66 (24lbs) string.
    I have started with a Yonex MusclePower 22 with BG 65 Ti (20lbs).
    Unfortunately, I don’t have a powerful back hand and smash but I have a good accuracy and I think I am not too bad for drops, my height is 1m72 and my weight is 70Kg.
    I want to know if it is interesting for me to buy a new racket; I am thinking about the NanoSpeed 9900 or the AmorTec 900 Technique? I know these two rackets are really different but what I should try to improve my smash and keep a good control of the shuttle?
    What do you think about Ashaway’s strings for people who don’t have a lot of power?
    Do you also have some advises to improve my strength (like gym exercises)?
    Thank you very much for your comments ;)

2. Many Ch0icez

Many Ch0icez Regular Member

Student
    Go on youtube and look up Paul stewart and his videos. Also his site is great. Reviewws on all top end Yonex rackets. Now to move on i say just buy yonex strings. Whatever string is suited to your game play. I used nanogy 95 becasue of high defensive attributes and the high durability. And for practice again. Best thing to do is play the most you can. I practice4-5-6 hours a day every week. that adds up to 35 hours a week almost. juts hit thousands of birds

3. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    lol, I have those 2 racquets in my bag right now. I broke 2 of my other racquet.
    1 of them that I really love.

anyway, since you're said you're new and your smashes are not that great, so I assume you haven't master the technique of smash and backhand. I do recommend for people who doesn't have the technique down first then play with 900T
    because it is alittle bit heavy head than 9900. Obviously because 9900 is light head.
    It would be easier for you to do smashes and backhand.

With 9900 it's a light head, so your stroke must be really fast to create the power with it. I like it because the shaft is very stiff, that give you more power. With the 9900 I recommend with high tension (28 at least), because the faster rebound time the faster the shuttle gonna be send away.

900T you can still able to play it with around 26 lb tension.

But then again that's my personal opinion. If you have slow stroke I recommend 900T. It would be easier. However, you can still play with a fast stroke with the racquet it sure will give you power. win win situation I guess, for now and later.

4. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    Hi,

I got a NS8000 as well, and it got plenty of power so it is definitely not the racket . Ashaways strings are great , especially the Zymax and Microlegend (my preference) range , even the power gut is nice. To get the power in smashes you need to learn the correct technique and increase the strength of your wrist (and yes , do check out Paul's video ).

since the NS8000 is a pretty stiff racket ..it does need a fast swing (snap) to generate the power. I strung my NS8000 with 23lbs it worked perfect for moi ,

i.e. thinner strings and lower tension also give you more power

5. Helios

Helios Regular Member

First of all, thank you very much for your advices. I will definitEly watch the Paul Stewart's video ;) to improve my skill.

Of course I will try to test both of the rackets (900T / NS9900) to make my opinion.

One of my friend gave me a Z-slash for a week to test the difference between an heavy and light head... and I have some serious problem with my timing, especially for the smashes :(

Anyway, thank you again, I ll take into consideration your observations ^^

6. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    The problem with the z-slash is it swings faster than other rackets. So if you aren't used to it you're timing would be off lots of people in the forum have commented on the awkwardness of the timing.

I would stick with one type of racket. For example a head light racket like the Nanospeed 8000. So the Nanospeed 9900 would be a good choice. Constantly buying more rackets that have different specifications is probably a bad idea. You won't get used to the balance etc (unless you're very good) before going on to the next racket that Yonex release. Unless you like buying the latest thing, which I think everyone likes to do, it just might not be the wisest choice :D

I would say string wise you're fine. Nothing wrong with tension or string choice.

Probably not quite the right part of the forum, but what is wrong with your smash? Is it flat (doesn't hit the floor quickly), lacking power or always going out the back of the court? If you answer this people might be able to help you more specifically.

To improve your smash... Does your uni have a coach? If so ask him for the correct technique for a clear and footwork. Then you should get behind the shuttle faster and adapting from a clear to a smash is then quite easy, it should also help solve the smash issues mentioned above.

It may also be the racket is slightly stiff for you to generate power. Do you get more power with the NS8000 or the muscle power?