is starting training at 15 ok?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by mamapoko, Mar 25, 2010.

1. mamapoko

mamapoko Regular Member

Student
    It seems to me that all the pro people here started playing badminton from at least 13.They're even people that started playing since 8 who are very pro.
    Is it true that if i start training now, i would never be able to catch up with their standard??

2. Flawless

Flawless Regular Member

Remember it's not quantity it's quality....so just give it your 100%.

3. mamapoko

mamapoko Regular Member

Student
    i can't train much because i m having a fully packed scheldue in school..
    Do you have any tips/exercises to train at home ?
    i tried skipping(5 x 100), it really helped alot. Now i feel my legs are much stronger and can jump much higher..

4. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

It depends on what level you wish to play at. Not every player who started training at 8 continues to become a good player although the basics taught at those age (by a good coach) will help them a lot later.

15 is not that old, but if you intend to play at the nationals level, it is very unlikely you can reach the required standard in the next 4-5 years. If you want to play good badminton, any age is a good age to start.

5. mamapoko

mamapoko Regular Member

Student
    woah 4-5 years... is acquiring national standard that hard of a thing??

6. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

Most national players in our country start somewhere between 17-20 years old. I guess it applies to a lot of other countries as well, with perhaps China and Malaysia being more hardcore, starting earlier. They need to start early so that the players would have rigorous training early on for international competitions.

I'm 17 and I've totally given up on even getting a shot at the national team. Though I must ask, it's still not impossible to get in a school varsity right?

To mamapoko, I guess you could start with small steps, join your school's team first. :)

7. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    It depends on ur enthusiasm. ;)

8. master_taz101

master_taz101 Regular Member

totally dpends on your determination! age doesn't matter as long as you have the determination, passion, will and strength for the sport. Actually I started joining a badminton clinic when I was 12 ^^. And now i'm proud to say i'm on our school's varsity team just hope i wouldn't be kicked out next year =b

9. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

i was 15 wen i started and though i've impored truckloads, i still have it in me to go further(im17)

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Also depends how high a standard your national team is...

but give it your best if you enjoy the game.

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

That sounds pretty unbelievable. 8 years old is a good average, for the better countries at least.

I read an interesting article a while back about the 10.000 hour rule. In short it takes 10.000 hour to master something, be it badminton or playing piano. Roughly speaking the writer compared the ages 10.000 hours was reached between China, Denmark and Netherlands. In China it was around 18 years old, Denmark 26, Netherlands possibly 20% extra because of less hours and lower quality compared to Denmark.

#11 demolidor, Mar 28, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  12. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    I advanced from D grade To Open Grade and national standard in 2 years. I started when i was 15 and progressed very fast because i wanted to train hard and was determined to get better.

If you want it you can get it. Just train as hard as you can and do everything to improve.

13. benmac

benmac Regular Member

It depends on the individual however having said that you have to consider that those you would be competing with have most probably been training from a very young age. You would have to take training very seriously and devote a lot of your time to it.
    Playing badminton at a National level is not easy and therefore should not be easily achieved...

Bradmyster I'm interested to hear that you have advanced from D grade to National standard within 2 years.. does that mean you are competitive nationally? represent your country? or simply enter national tournaments?
    Does it only require 2 years of training to represent Australia?

14. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

I meant most of the members of the national team get drafted in at around that age. Obviously they've started way before that :)

15. FIVEs

FIVEs Regular Member

Seems to be very true regarding the 10,000 hour rule! Malcolm Gladwell does knows his craft very well. Yep, it's in his book, OUTLIERS:cool:. The Tipping point and Blink are real good reads as well:cool:!

16. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction

I think jut703 meant they enter the national team at 17-20 yo, not they start to learn to play!

That is similar in the UK too.

I agree with the set time principle, I remember reading at some point in the forum a few years back someone said it takes ten years to become a top level badminton player, so the more precise 10000hr doesn't seem so unreasonable (2hrs/week, but when younger (eg. 8 you may only play 1hr, and more later.

17. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:) Yes jut703 explained it above. It's about the same here as well.
    The 10.000 (quality) hours should apply on being competitive at the highest international level. Depending on the national level it should be a whole lot less hours to reach either the national team or "just" playing on a national level (whichever it is mamapako or bradmyster are referring to).

Taking 8 years old as an average starting age and 26 for Denmark to reach 10.000 -> Gade started age 6 and winning big tournaments in '97-'98 aged 23/24. Jan Jorgensen started age 4 and now aged 22/23 making the top 10.

18. Flawless

Flawless Regular Member

You have got to practice in order to get better. You can not just learn badminton by working out in the gym or skipping even though that does certainly help.

What you can do is have a very clear idea of what your weaknesses are. Write them down on a paper. Now workout how to improve them, for eg, if you don't reach the shuttle in time then you need to improve your footwork. Do some research on proper footwork and how it varies throughout different shots. Once you have the knowledge then practice them the next time you are playing badminton. Remember, don't ever practice anything during a real game for the first time as you would probably lose.

19. mamapoko

mamapoko Regular Member

Student
    now i practice badminton during trainings ( 2hours) once a week,
    i think i am now improving bit by bit,
    my coach has taught me how to improve on my current skills and explain them in detail..
    But it really pisses me off when someone younger than me wins me in a match...
    They seem to really have an advantage as they have learned badminton first than i did...
    :(

20. ck1981

ck1981 Regular Member

Pleae note that Bruce Lee only started to learn kungfu when he was 17.
    Nothing is too late. The only thing matter is your determination and your efforts.