Wrist Power+Serves in Mixed

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by daBUNNYhop, Mar 26, 2010.

1. daBUNNYhop

daBUNNYhop New Member

Student
    Hi im a girl who plays high school varsity mixed. We just had our first game recently, but me and my partner lost. I blame myself for it. I kept losing points to the opponent's serves, which were drive serves, and missed a lot of shots that were supposed to be mine. During the middle of practice yesterday, our coach came over to me and said that my wrist is very weak and that I should lift weights or something. I also have trouble angling downwards and I think its because I lack wrist power (correct me if im wrong). Oh, and this is only my second year playing badminton. So my questions are:

1. Are drive serves illegal? I've been hearing both yes and no from friends and the laws of badminton didnt really say they were illegal but I feel that they are kind of cheap...
    2. How can I strengthen my wrist? Im already starting to do wrist curls with weights but im not sure if it's really going to help. I also read a few threads on BC forums and they said its more like forearm power not wrist power.

Help out a noob, thanks :)

2. lukasek97

lukasek97 Regular Member

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I don't think it has anything to do with a weak wrist. Drive serves are used more effectively against women than against men.
    Drive serves can be served either from the side line or more centrally.
    For those served centrally at your face or those that catch you unawares, the reply is best played as a pushed drop shot without any backswing, because you don't have the time. If they are aimed to attack your backhand, return with round-the-head smash provided you are not left off balance.
    If the drive serve is delivered from the side line, it is wise to ove back a couple of feet to make your backhand less vulnerable. From this ore backward base, agility and suppleness will enable you to smash round-the-head anything inaccurate or still rising. If the serve is really flat, accurate and well angled, it is best to adopt a backhand stance, which will enable you to do clears and drops into gaps necessarily created by such an extreme serving base. Beware that he may instead serve a surprise low serve to your front forehand corner., which you should reply with a an attacking lob straight down the line into the wide-open backhand corner.

4. daBUNNYhop

daBUNNYhop New Member

Student
    @taneepak- Oh I meant I think a weak wrist/forearm= worse angling; im not sure if im correct though. And my coach said my wrist snap/swing is slow thats why my shots arent as angled.

Thanks for the explanations guys