Wong Choong Hann's China Open win - small thing for Malaysia?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ALI, Dec 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ALI

ALI Regular Member

Student
    Hi. First, I'd like to congratulate Wong Choong Hann for winning China Open, a prestigious grand prix event which Malaysians rarely have the chance to 'touch' it.

Today (Monday), I was eager to read the newspapers about how the match progressed and watch the news on TV to see some footage of yesterday's match. However, I was really unhappy when TV1 and TV3 didn't even mention about his win in the sports section. When I went to The Star Online (www.thestar.com.my), I was again feeling quite uncontented for Wong Choong Hann, as his win is not even put at the headlines section of Sports. Instead, things like Tiger Cup (where Malaysia drawed with Laos 1-1) was put as the headlines in the Sports section.

When I compare Wong Choong Hann's win in China Open with Roslin Hashim's win in Japan Open last year, I immediately feel sad for him. When Roslin Hashim won the Japan Open last year, news spread so quickly, his match was broadcasted live, and he was invited for a dinner with the Sports and Youth Minister. He was treated as a national treasure, and media kept on mentioning that he probably will be the first Malaysian to win the World Championships in Seville, Spain. What about Wong Choong Hann? They kept the news as if Wong Choong Hann's win in China Open is something shameful, something which shouldn't be spread out.

Why did this happen to him? Is it because Wong Choong Hann is a Chinese, not a _____ (5 characters)? I think we should demand that RTM broadcast the whole match! And we should return him a justice! What you all think?

2. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

Hmm... IMHO, bringing in racial issues would seem a little rash. After all, it's undeniable that the Tiger Cup has been filling the sports section of our papers everyday for the past week. Moreover, Malaysia did amazingly well, little wonder Wong Choong Hann's win was overshadowed.

Of course, I'm not ruling out the possibility of it, but maybe we shouldn't be too quick to jump to such conclusions, since it might be rather sensitive.

3. LIPlayer

LIPlayer Regular Member

With all due respect, please do not discuss race discrimination or any other similiar topic on this forum. Let 's keep it clean. Thanks.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    as above. thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.