Taking time between points

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by LD rules!, Mar 27, 2010.

1. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

hi
    I am wondering if you are able to take some time between points, I was playing a training match the other week, and in the third set it was I think 15-16 (his serve) but I was extremely tired at this point and decided that I wouldn't go directly to get the shuttle, but instead take my time, to get to it, and have a small walk at a slowish pace to get to the shuttle, I did this as I was tires and the person I was playing against, I know he relies upon, momentum, so u was slowing the pace down, he then started to complain about this, and stated that what I was doing was illegal and in a tournament I would be disqualified, I argued that I have seen plenty of players including pros walk around the court after points.
    Is this allowed what I am doing, I am not taking too long, only an extra couple of seconds to allow myself to be prepared for the next point. Maximum an extra 5 seconds per point.
    Btw all the arguing we did actually worked in my favour, as I was able to get my breath back.:p:p

2. druss

druss Regular Member

Depends on the umpire. You're not allowed to "delay" the game but it's open to interpretation. Players will always push the limits on things which rely on the umpires interpretation. Also, you would not get disqualified... the first offense would get you a verbal warning, then possibly a loss of point if you continue... and so on.

Disqualification is a pretty harsh measure and would not be used on something as petty as delay of game. If you assaulted an umpire then that would qualify for immediate disqualification.

3. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    extra 5 seconds won't get you a warning i don't think. just wiping the sweat off of your face with your hand and flicking the sweat off the court will take you 5 seconds.

4. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Depends how strict the umpire is. At most, you'll at 1st get a verbal warning, and if you're still repeating the offense then cards will be drawn.

5. wirre

wirre Regular Member

He is kind of correct, as already stated you are not allowed to deliberately delay the game. But this is up to the umpire to interpret and decide.

What you can do to "cheat the system" is to misshit/hit the net when playing the shuttle over to the opponent (if it is the opponents serve). Thus you need to walk over to the shuttle again......and getting some more time to breath ;) It is very hard for the umpire or opponent to prove that you are doing this to delay the game

/mats