User Tag List

Thread: Rudy Hartono

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rudy Hartono

Letís say that I have some interest in learning about athletes with heart problems. I was surprised when I learn that a legend like Rudy Hartono had bypass operation at the age of 39 in 1988. Who else could be in better shape than Rudy when comes to physical fitness! Does anyone know more about his bypass operation? Like what caused it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was also surprised when I read about that on this site. It was only a few years after he retired. You have to wonder when he first felt the effects. What would have happened if he had kept on playing competatively for several more years? Was it due to a post-competative sedentary life and poor diet? What would have happened to him if he had never taken up badminton or any other conditioning activity?

A couple of other surprises are Arnold Schwarzenegger and Nolan Ryan (baseball).

It's possible that some athletes are genetically predisposed to certain heart & circulatory conditions, but are able to postpone the onset of serious problems as long as they are conditioning for their sport. Once they retire and become less active, the condition takes it's normal course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Californian
    It's possible that some athletes are genetically predisposed to certain heart & circulatory conditions, but are able to postpone the onset of serious problems as long as they are conditioning for their sport. Once they retire and become less active, the condition takes it's normal course.
    Very true.