Rudy Hartono

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by LIPlayer, Dec 24, 2002.

1. LIPlayer

LIPlayer Regular Member

Let’s say that I have some interest in learning about athletes with heart problems. I was surprised when I learn that a legend like Rudy Hartono had bypass operation at the age of 39 in 1988. Who else could be in better shape than Rudy when comes to physical fitness! Does anyone know more about his bypass operation? Like what caused it?

2. Californian

Californian Regular Member

I was also surprised when I read about that on this site. It was only a few years after he retired. You have to wonder when he first felt the effects. What would have happened if he had kept on playing competatively for several more years? Was it due to a post-competative sedentary life and poor diet? What would have happened to him if he had never taken up badminton or any other conditioning activity?

A couple of other surprises are Arnold Schwarzenegger and Nolan Ryan (baseball).

It's possible that some athletes are genetically predisposed to certain heart & circulatory conditions, but are able to postpone the onset of serious problems as long as they are conditioning for their sport. Once they retire and become less active, the condition takes it's normal course.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Very true.