Row over scoring system- ' An attack on the women's game' ?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by MoS, Dec 25, 2002.

1. MoS

MoS Regular Member

software
    Row over new badminton scoring system in court

REUTERS[ TUESDAY, DECEMBER 24, 2002 08:40:00 PM ]

LONDON: Five countries have complained to the International Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) about badminton's new scoring system, arguing it discriminates against women.

Canada, whose National Olympic Committee has agreed to fund the challenge, has joined with England, Scotland, Australia and New Zealand in making the protest in Lausanne.

The International Badminton Federation (IBF) this year imposed a 3x15 format (best of three sets, first to 15 points) for men's singles and doubles but made all women's and mixed doubles 3x11.

The IBF has, however, agreed to reconsider at its council meeting in Bangkok last month following objections.

Its council, however, subsequently refused to make any changes to the two-tier system, which had itself replaced a year-long experimental flirtation with seven-point games to try to increase the sport's appeal.

The 5x7 system had been seen by its advocates as providing more key points, greater excitement - and more scope for commercial breaks during televised tournaments.

The European Badminton Union has described the latest scoring system as "an attack on the women's game". The challenge to CAS, however, questions the legitimacy of the IBF to impose a new rule without it having been proposed by a member nation.

"We don't believe we can accept the right to make this decision because it came out of the blue," said Ian Moss, the chief executive of Badminton Canada.

"The council is supposed to deal with what's on the table, not come up with something new. As a result, it has come up with something which in the western world discriminates against women."

If the protest is successful, the five nations will use the authority of the court's decision to apply moral pressure to the IBF.

2. Shoulderpain

Shoulderpain Regular Member

ESL teacher
    It's a mystery to me why men's and women's badminton should have any differences in the scoring system. If I were a woman (not that I ever fantasize about that...those are only unfounded rumours), I would be pretty irritated.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    In the money spinning game of tennis, some matches are played best of 5, some best of three. Guess which part of the population never play best of 5 sets.

Should that go to court?

4. Robert Neilson

Robert Neilson Regular Member

Student
    what is the new scoring system??? or is it like tennis and you just dont play as many games???

5. Californian

Californian Regular Member

Mixed doubles games are now played to 11 points instead of 15.

It's strange to me that after all these years they would change mixed games from 15 to 11. I'm sure that, as old as badminton is, the winning score of 11 for ladies' singles was based on the belief that they didn't have enough stamina to play to 15. But ladies' doubles has always been played to 15. Is there some recent evidence to indicate that the ladies in mixed doubles are too physically and emotionally stressed to play the extra few points?

6. Robert Neilson

Student
    lol its totally sexist

ok heres my theory:

they consider men to be better than women and its much harder for them to play with us - therefore mixed double they should play less points - i can kind of understand this

but women doubles - in theory thats women against women so if 'apparently' the standard isnt as good as mens then they wont hae to run about as much and its just playing 15 points against opposition of the same standard. ???? very stupid

i totally disagree and think it ought to be the same - thoughmaybe you women want to play less?????

so you people realise i dont remotely think all men are better than women i was just thinking why it mgiht be done

7. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    what other sports offer a reduced format for women?

For instance
    100 metre sprint - would they drop it down to 75 metres sprint for women?
    women's hockey - do they play 15 minute periods instead of 20?
    marathon - should there be a shorten distance finish line for all the women participants?
    if women are included in any road racing, must the distances be automatically reduced similar to badminton percentages? - ie. Indy 500 becomes Indy 375?

The political incorrectness of this ruling and especially the lame reasons for implementing this, I am surprised there hasn't been an uproar already.

8. iwannaeatkimmy

iwannaeatkimmy Regular Member

i think men and women should play til 15. smokers til 11.

9. Robert Neilson

Student
    lol - smokers dont have much choice - most are dead by the time it gets to 11 :)

10. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    lol, I didn't know women played until 11 until last year....you should have seen me! I was mad!!!!!!!!! lol.

11. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    Good one guys :D. But what if I'm playing a smoker? Do I need to get
    to 15 while my opponent only needs to get to 11? :confused: :D

12. Robert Neilson

Student
    well i think it'll mean they'e worked just as hard as you if they do
    :D :D :D