maintaining string tension.

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by dyrtla, Mar 31, 2010.

1. dyrtla

dyrtla Regular Member

I've heard from a friend that professional players maintain their string tension by putting ice on the racket after playing.
    I'm not sure if it is going to keep the racket tension, and therefore i am here to ask you BCers :).
    have anyone tried this, or does this seem logical to any of you?

2. teshbuns

teshbuns Regular Member

student
    this is a good question because your quality of shotsalso depend on the string tension. i faced a problem recently with the string tension its not plaesant at all but i can keep up. oh i dont actually know how to maintin its tension can someone help us

3. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

I've also heard that the cold is really bad for your rackets
    just buy strings that are more durable!

4. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I never heard about it. How to put the ice on the racket? Also which part? I think pros wont bother about it since they get new string every match

5. dyrtla

dyrtla Regular Member

i am currently trying it on my Joobong racket. I am icing the string for about 10 minutes 15 minutes max, after playing with it. i will tell you guys how it goes. i am trying to avoid putting ice on the frame as much as possible, but it still cools the frame. However i dont think it should harm the racket frame.

#5 dyrtla, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  6. dyrtla

dyrtla Regular Member

durable strings tend to lose tension overtime as well. Therefore, if ice does slow down the process the string loses tension, it should be helpful.

7. druss

druss Regular Member

pre stretching the string will also help maintain tension.

8. dyrtla

dyrtla Regular Member

yup but imagine, if icing really prevents the string from losing tension in the future, prestretch + icing = nearly no loss of tension.

i will test and see if it works :D

9. adidascanada

adidascanada Regular Member

I KNOW that you are suppose to keep your equipment away from "large" swings in temperature (especially in short spans of time).
    In theory, how does lowering the temperature of the string maintain tension? The tension loss is most dramatic from the time it is strung and reduces over time (basically the string can not stretch anymore (lost elasticity). This is where pre-stretching helps.
    So how does cooling it help? Once the string come back to room temp they will expand again???? Confused :confused:

10. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    how about icing your arm, so you can work an extra hour to get yourself a new string job ;)

11. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) I find it hard to believe a pro is doing this or using this method. Most of the pro break string every 2~4 weeks at longest, the string tension drop is not an issue for them.
    2) Given the same racquet with exactly the same string on it. The racquet with string at lower temp will have higher tension because most of materials (including nylon and other thing use to make string) will shrink in lower temp. (yes, that includes your little buddy) Also, you will fee the string bed is stiffer because the string become harder at lower temp. (just like your back in the winter)
    3) Just like other posted, once the string reach room temp, all these effects will be gone. Do you switch racquet every other point so you can ice them? Also, by icing the string, it make it stiffer and easier to break.
    I like your thought of experiment with this idea. I will suggest you to try it and let us know what you think. Without trying it out, it is just a guess. Once you try, you know.

Good luck.

12. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

never heard of it, and hard to believe this will work.

to the contrary, I expect this will work towards the other direction, since the heat / cool cycle will do more harm than good.

let us know what you find out.

13. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Waiting

Dyrtla,

Awaiting the results of your experiment. However, will it work here in Malaysia. Ten minutes, the ice will totally melt. You may need to dip the whole racquet head into a bucket of ice.

14. dyrtla

dyrtla Regular Member

as most of you are in this thread, i am quite skeptical about the idea that ice will keep the string tension. And that is why i am testing it out. It is currently under testing and i will see if it 'feels' like its better or not.

ps. notice the 'feels'? theres no way for me to measure the string tension :(. so ill have to go with my instinct.

15. dyrtla

dyrtla Regular Member

This is what I do, and im not even sure if this method works, or if im even doing it in the right way. If your going to test it as well, do it under your own risk. Theoretically, your racket may get damaged.

Heres how i do it:
    1. play some badminton.
    2. immediately when returning home, take 10 medium - large sized ice cubes and stick it into a zip big ziplock bag, or any plastic bag. (make sure water doesnt leak)
    3. place it UNDER the racket, and let your racket rest on the ice cubes. (remember to level it, and remember not to let the ice cubes touch the racket frame)
    4. Watch as ice melts for 10 minutes

16. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Shouldn't you put the ice pack ON TOP of the strings (racquet lying flat) to get the maximum effect?

17. dyrtla

dyrtla Regular Member

Yup tahts why im not sure if im even donig it correctly. But i dont want to put it on top of my racket because when icecubes melt, it might touch the frame if rested on top of the racket. i dont know if you totally understand, but when you try it you will know. :). but remember, do it under your own risk!

18. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

needs empirical evidence, this is not a valid scientific experiment
    on the other hand, just buy new strings =)

19. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    I restring my racquet whenever I feel there's loss in smashing power...usually once every 2-3 weeks...playing 4 times a week...about 2 hours each time. Glad to have my own stringing machine.;)

20. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

arghh i envy you
    i can't afford my own stringing machine yet... but once i can
    i will start stringing my own rackets
    i'm gonna make a small step into buying my own strings first... haha