User Tag List

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Towel grips are good for players who don't sweat much. When wet they add 10++ grams of weight to the racquet and they stink when they dry up. You can minimize the wetness by using a wristband.
    I use Prince 'tackier when wet'.....up to the conical tip of the handle. For tournaments I add a whiff of tack powder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I strip the grip down to the wood then put on a blue plastic sleeve which shrinks when heated. This plastic sleeve is good for three reasons - it builds the grip size, it maintains the edges, and it lets you scrape of any bits of old grip. In other words you can have a really consistent grip. Over this I put a Karakal pu super grip. I've done this on all of my g4 Cab21.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where do you get the plastic sleeve?

Is it a hockey type grip like those used on hockey sticks and cricket bats??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ones I have are specifically for badminton but I suppose you can get it for tennis etc. I was given about 20 but I'm not sure of the supplier. The name is Tubex - grip enlarger. It's blue plastic and shrinks down really tight.

check out the link -
    http://www.r-a-b.com/Pages/Tubex%20G...er%20Page.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I have sent an e-mail to them for price etc.

The biggest problem for myself and many other players is that when you add grip to your racket you loose the ridges or faces, I have slimmed down to 3 layers of grap instead of 2 layers of Karakal PU being topped with a Wilson Cusion air. I now remove the original grip and use 3 layers of grap, but even then you still loose the faces after the second layer of grap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Previously I was using 2 tubex sleeves and one yonex grap. It gave great feel and angled edges but grap just isn't tacky enough. When I switched one Tubex sleeve and a Karakal my power shot up and the touch is still pretty good.

I see a lot of people building up their grip until it becomes almost round but they must be losing a lot of feel. I mean, you need those edges to adjust your grip for all the different shots.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you really need the edges? Surely the holding position is all relative to the racquet face. I mean, obviously backhands
    are played with the thumb along one of the thicker faces......but we all know where the "thick" face is, whether you can feel the edges or not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a matter of degree. If your grip is totally round then your fingers would not be able to sense the exact postion of the racket face. Of course you don't need absolutely sharp edges, but it helps.

You can change you grip for all sorts of overhead shots, not just backhand. Cross-court backhand requires a special grip, slice smash/drop also. Even when you're stretching for a net shot you can shuffle your grip down the handle to gain a couple of inches reach. I'm constantly shifting my grip. A grip with edges just lets you do it better. Similarly a big fat grip reduces the touch because you can't easily adjust it with your fingers

I'll give you an example. Some guy who plays at my club puts a karakal grip on first and then another grip on top of that, resulting in a total roundness. He has never been able to develop delicate shots or good control because his racket may as well be a frying pan.

Imagine you could only have two hand positions - forehand or backhand but nothing else. I think it would be very difficult to play well.
    Last edited by carbonex21; 10-18-2003 at 06:19 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone tried the Black Knight grips yet? What do you guys think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Where to buy Tubex in Germany?

Originally posted by carbonex21
    The ones I have are specifically for badminton but I suppose you can get it for tennis etc. I was given about 20 but I'm not sure of the supplier. The name is Tubex - grip enlarger. It's blue plastic and shrinks down really tight.

check out the link -
    http://www.r-a-b.com/Pages/Tubex%20G...er%20Page.html
    Anyone can tell me, where can I buy the Tubex Grip Enlarger in Germany? The grip enlarger doesn't cost much, therefore it is too expensive (because of the shipping fee) if I buy from UK or other country.

Thanks in advance.

Marc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Re: get a grip

Originally posted by kwun

anyone use towel grip? i used them back when i was in high school, but they get dirty very easily and they are not as easily changable like the leather grips.

I have tried a Yonex Tower Grip for my first time a few months ago. I didn't like it right after the 1st usage coz first of all when it gets wet it makes it harder to control your racquet. Secondly my palm ends up being all BLUE coz it was a blue tower grip....

so now im using Yonex's super grap A440 and its fine till now

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Which is the better grip?

Karakal Airflow Plus Grip or Karakal Kushy Grip?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb washable towel grips

I don't use towel grips but my wife has sweaty hands so she uses them. I found a novel solution to the stinky towel grips you all hate. They're SOCK-TYPE towel grips from Carlton. As you might have guesed, they slip on the racket grip from the bottom end just like a sock and they're held on the grip by elasticity. Of course, it would help if the grip under the sock is as tacky as possible to avoid having the racket twist under the the towel-grip-sock. After every game, we just take of the sock and dump it in the washing machine with our clothes. Presto, a clean and sweet smelling towel gripi ready for use the next day. The towel material isn't too thick so you can still feel the "faces" of the grip under teh towel. We usually have several towel-grip-socks ready since a particularly hot day will necesitate changing the grip several times during the game.

For those of you who don't want towel grips(like myself), I like the wilson champ overgrips and the TOALSON "Wet" type overgrips and replacement grips.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know about you guys, but I think I am regressing back to cheaper overgrips. Had the chance to finally break out a package of Yonex Super Grap I have been saving for emergency use... tried one roll on my newly strung CAB 20MS w/o the stock grip. Conclusions? It's actually quite decent. No more problem with sweaty grip since I started using more finger power. Just a little wear in the middle of the handle.

So, I have gone from stock grips to Yonex Super Grap to BK T.U.F. RE-Grip to BK Competition RE-Grip to Yonex Super Grap. Things certainly get simpler and cheaper as time goes on.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

cappy, what were you using before?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by kwun
    cappy, what were you using before?
    Opps... my apologies. I meant to list them in chronological order.

Stock grips => Yonex Super Grap (double/trip layers) => BK T.U.F. Re-Grip => BK Competition Grip => Yonex Super Grap (one layer).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by teleguy
    I found a grip at Sports Authority called "What a grip". They have them in 2 varieties....Tennis and Squash. It is a one peice "sock" that slips over the racket handle with the aide of a plastic bag. It is super thin, very absorbant but best of all(for me at least) it is super tacky. Gives great control for touch shots and net play. Relatively cheap too at around USD$3.00 each. It comes in a variety of colors for those who care to be color coordinated with clothes etc...

which one did you get them in, tennis or squash?

and can you get them in the uk?

cheers

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast